Blunderbuss folding bayonet

I was watching my copy of "Kidnapped" with Armand Asante as Alan Brecht Stuart last night for the 200th time. I caught one of those little details that have escaped my scrutiny all this time. Ebenezer Balfour has a `buss that he pokes through the window in a couple of scenes and I just noticed it has a folding bayonet attached. Anyone know of existing examples from in or near our period?

Bo

I musta typed in the wrong info earlier, just found lots of images, but the earliest I have found so far is ca. 1730. Close but no cigar yet. But I did come across this antique site that has a lot of very interesting goodies!

http://www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/sales/gh...-05-09-2007.htm

I want the skillet on legs!!!

Enjoy!

Bo

I was watching my copy of "Kidnapped" with Armand Asante as Alan Brecht Stuart

I love that movie ., ánother wonderful story from Robert Louis Stevenson ., I got it on DVD about 5 years ago for my collection. Who ever hasnt seen it should ., its a fun movie and was under-rated.

Edited by HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

• 5 weeks later...
I was watching my copy of "Kidnapped" with Armand Asante as Alan Brecht Stuart

I love that movie ., ánother wonderful story from Robert Louis Stevenson ., I got it on DVD about 5 years ago for my collection. Who ever hasnt seen it should ., its a fun movie and was under-rated.

In regard to folding bayonet blunderbusses, they seems to have been quite common during the early 18th century. The gun type was even patented in England in 1781. The idea seemed to gain popularity as the century wore on, with lots of 'em used in Rev. war times by all navies.

Ahoy there Cascasbel! Sometime back you came up with an image of a blunderbuss with a cavalry type carbine ring on the side. I tried the search function but came up empy. Any chance you could find that again and post a link? Thanx!

Found it! it was in Twill. If there is a better image of it or another one and some info I'd like to know more about it. Thanks!

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

Ahoy there Cascasbel! Sometime back you came up with an image of a blunderbuss with a cavalry type carbine ring on the side. I tried the search function but came up empy. Any chance you could find that again and post a link? Thanx!

Found it! it was in Twill. If there is a better image of it or another one and some info I'd like to know more about it. Thanks!

Bo

I got the images from 'Weapons of the American Revolution' by George C. Neumann ( Plate M.113 ). It says it is in the Lewis H. Gordon, Jr. collection. No info on the whereabouts of the collection. The book is copyright 1967, so the piece may be in another collection by now. Seems to me that I remember seeing at least one other with a similar sling attachment, but I don't recall where.

>>>> Cascabel