I HATE SNOW.......

Patrick Hand

I had read recently that because of a lack of sun spot activity we should be entering a ten or so year cooling cycle. The primary cause of variations in global temperature is due to the cycles of the sun and Earth's orbit about the sun.

For the curious, among the many other (non-man made) factors that affect the earth's temp, there are several that come primarily from the sun:

¤ 11 year and 206 year cycles: Cycles of solar variability (sunspots)

¤ 21,000 year cycle: Earth's combined tilt and elliptical orbit around the Sun (Precession of the Equinoxes)

¤ 41,000 year cycle: Cycle of the wobble in the Earth's orbit (Tilt)

¤ 100,000 year cycle: Variations in the shape of Earth's elliptical orbit (Cycle of Eccentricity)

There are also atmospheric causes such as heat retention and solar reflectivity as well as tectonic causes like landmass distribution and undersea ridge activity.

As far as the greenhouse effect goes, over 95% of it is due to water vapor in Earth's atmosphere. The much vilified carbon dioxide greenhouse gas makes up about 0.038% of Earth's atmosphere.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After I got gas for my truck today, the attendant said, "Ma'am, I would have washed your windows, but my squeegee buckets are still frozen."

Not a line you hear everyday. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

To those of ye what be sayin' ye actually like that nasty white stuff...

They can come shovel my driveway anytime they want to really enjoy the nasty icky wet sh***stuff......

Dang.... it's not snowing anymore.... but alla the snow is falling off the trees.......and you don't wanna get hit by that.... :lol:

LOL.... Oh? :::Attempts to act all innocent and stupid::: and why not, Patrick. :::bats eyes naively:::

Oh, and BTW, Patrick.... thanks. Yo'r storm is headin' m' way. Getting that storm tomorrow, Ice storm BEFORE th' snow. :rolleyes: Oh, snow I don't mind... it's the ice that's th' worst! I'd take snow over ice any day.

I'll be hunkerin' down for the next couple of days.

Aye, Ransom.... wish I still had a fireplace to where I can warm up to when the snow is fallin' and it's cold outside.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

The meteorologists at the CBC are predicting "Snow-mageddon" tomorrow, with another snowstorm to follow on Sunday:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/200...ow-toronto.html

Looks like I'd better get that Xmas shopping done today, before it starts to fly.

Tryin' to talk Mr. H. into taking a "snow day" tomorrow, but he's pretty stubborn.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

It is supposed to "warm up" to "above freezing" today for the first time in several days. Oh joy. Then as Lady B says, more freezing rain, then, who knows?

Ransom, where do they still pump gas besides New Jersey? I thought I was one of the last people in the US to do that for a living. At 14-15 I worked part-time for my uncle at Co-Op pumping gas, washing windows, checking oil, etc. before everyone went self-serve. Nostalgia fer sure! Cool.

Bo

Will keep ye posted on this storm, Hester. Looks like this is the same one that will be hitting the both of us. I've a BAD feeling about this storm.

Bo, stay well down there, too. Got yo'r period lanterns and all out? I tell ye, mine saved me in the past and they are SO much fun to have available in a storm. ;)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Got more of the icky white stuff last night, and it's predicted we will be getting even more of it, on and off, for the next three days. Oh joy! :rolleyes:

Oh, and Bo, in Oregon you are not allowed to pump your own gas — keeps open all those minimum wage jobs we so badly need. But, it's kinda nice, when it's freezing/raining outside.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I knew NJ had those same laws, but I didn't know 'bout the Oregon being the same. I still remeber the uniformed Texaco Men from my youth. I always wanted one of them garrison hats and shirt with my name on it, but I joined the Navy later instead and hadda wear them stupid "Dixie Cups." :rolleyes:

Our local weather radio says that for this area, we will be partly cloudy with highs near 50 tomorrow. :P I really don't think we need "meteor heads" anymore. They are worthless.

Bo

Hah, I remember when you used to get free stuff if you filled your tank. Drinking glasses, kitchen utenciles. I have a green pot-strainer with "the tiger in your tank" on it, that I got way back in the early 70's. (I was a mere baby then, of course. :P

BTW, still snowing here. :P

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I LOVE SNOWWW!!!! you can send me some! I haven't ski'd in years and I really miss it... black diamonds are this girls best friend!!

Think I might have to strap on the X-country skis to finish my Xmas shopping!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Thought I might get some errands done before the snow hit this morning but -- YIKES! -- it already looks really ugly out there. We're getting "Lake Enhancement" in addition to the Colorado Low. I think "Blizzard" is a fair description of the conditions out there.

So I'm staying snug inside today, writing belated Xmas cards and getting the house ready for my annual tree-trimming dinner with C. tomorrow night.

Mr. H., the die-hard, insisted on going to work today instead of taking a Snow Day with me. He says it's a macho thing. <_< Bet he wishes he'd worn ski goggles to walk to the subway!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Freezing rain overnight...just raining now...it's a bloody mess out there, water standing on the streets. Don't need a car, ye need a bloody boat today.

Speaking o' which, I been looking at Yachting Magazine (again). Big mistake...its a library copy, and now there's drool stains on most of the pages.

Damn, thats sharp!

Dang....Dang...Dang....I had almost all the snow cleared, and about half of my driveway dug out.....

Wake-up this morning.....and it's snowing......about 3" on the ground, and it's still snowing.....

So now I get to clear everything again..... and de-ice alla the steps (Carol has a restaurant in Arnold, and I keep alla the steps cleared and de-iced so no one slips......)

I HATE SNOW......

I LOVE SNOWWW!!!! you can send me some! I haven't ski'd in years and I really miss it... black diamonds are this girls best friend!!

You are welcome to come here Nell. We're having a snow storm today, can't see more than a few feet in front of you. Silly me, tried to get some errands done before the snow really started flying. At least I made it home safe and sound. We've gotten about 6 inches in the past 4 hours.

The only bright spot is watching Sophie burrow and roll in it and try to catch the snow flakes. Silly dog.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I am currently in the process of hating snow...

Just watch me as I hate the snow...

Hate Hate Hate...

It seems as though I will be getting pretty good at snow hatred over the next few days...

I need to move to somewhere where the climate can support palm trees...

Ashton "WeirdBeard" Synn

NyghtCraftLogoRed.jpg

Highest Quality Handcrafted Leather on or off the 7 seas!

:::nods;::: I agree with ye there, Maggie. I hate ice as well. Don't mind th' snow, and sometimes th' cold, but it's the nasty ice that bothers me.

Suppose t' be gettin' some icy weather on thursday and/or friday as well. NOT looking forward to that.

Likewis, Maggie. Stay warm AND safe.

It's been one snow event after another. Spooks the hell out of me cause the north is getting pounded moreso than here in Iowa. Worries me cause it's the type of weather that happens before the spring thaw when there's more rain.... hence, FLOODS. Floods BAD. Very, very bad.

Lady B

Avast, Lady B! We woke up to 3 inches this morning and then another 2inches later today...total there be 5 bloody inches on the ground! More to come tomorrow. Me hubby and I ran to get some shopping done whilest it was ok to drive...I wasn't going to wait till tomorrow to do it and then get stuck. I haven't seen this kind of snow here on the peninsula in the 5 years I have lived here. From what the old one's tell us, that grew up around here, they say it used to do this alot. Blast! I have had to keep my store closed today and probably till we can get up there. I may have to buy some chains for the first time...

A white Christmas is on the horizon, which would be a first for me.

Merry Christmas t' ye all! ;)

I haven't been able to go to work for the bast 2 days because the bus system isn't running right now due to 23inch of snow over night. Some freak snow storm. Ugh I hate it, sure sledding is fun and all but it would be nice to drive places. Oh and if that isn't the worst, I paid $40 for chains and lost one of them ;)

Lull between snowstorms today. Bright sunshine sparkling on the pristine white blanket covering everything.

But the radio said it was -17 degrees C when I woke up this morning. Brrrr! And look at the frost on my original Victorian-era windowpane:

Frost.jpg

Round Two of snow predicted to start at midnight tonight.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

... and that's why I live in the Keys. :P I can't deal with that stuff anymore. Years living in northern Germany, the mountains of Arizona and a the interior of Alaska game me more than enough of that white stuff!

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon