If You Could Only Have One Job

Mission

I have always contended that if one is doing something for a living that is unenjoyable, change jobs. This has led to a wide experience for me and worked right up until I got that "dream" job: wildlife biologist. I spent my days in driving 4x4's and ATV's, slogging through wetlands, tracking wildlife in forests, boating in and about the barrier islands, visiting pristine, virtually inaccessable areas of Florida, generally hacking about in the great outdoors and writing up the occasional report. Then the company that I was working for changed the job description to mostly remedial work (retention ponds and mitigation areas) and office work and I found that I was back at square one again.

I applied for the job of "Independedtly Wealthy" but they were all taken...

Pirate think tank...hmmm...

Want some irony? Check out the line under my sig banner, unchanged since I joined up...

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I'm a Special Ed/ English teacher in high school. I don't think I'd ever change jobs. Every day is a different 'catastophe'. :blink:

Although, I did have fun in Death Investigations/ SAR with the Natural Resources Police. A body that's been underwater for months is simply fascinating.....

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Ditto. Though actually, if I can think of a way of making this work, I'd like to get out of my current job and find a job with Marine Sanctuaries working for the Maritime Heritage Program. My supervisor has ample money for me to take classes, but I seriously doubt he'd be willing to train me in something that would lead to me getting out of here. And that reminds me... today is the deadline for filling out my "Individual Development Plan". I'm going to fill it out like it actually matters, like it could help me move to a better place... heh... the instructions make it sound oh so rosy...

Your supervisor is in an excellent position to support your development by:

· Providing feedback on your performance in your current job and identifying your

strengths and areas for improvement.

· Acting as a mentor and coach.

· Representing the organization’s needs, goals and opportunities.

· Communicating what is happening around your organization and within DoC.

· Helping assess your advancement potential and your qualifications for other positions.

· Acting as a resource and referral for exploring your career development options.

· Supporting your training and development, providing training opportunities and

funding if related to the Department’s mission and funds are available.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

If you could only have one job for the rest of your life, what would you want it to be?

Hmmm... good question. Tis a tough one. :(

...:::Thinks:::::

Damnit... too much I want to do. I'd be utterly bored out of my mind in just one bleedin' profession.

I suppose something that utilizes conjuring ideas all the time? I'm rather good at that. Horrible about putting them into effect, but excellent in conjuring ideas.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

So much to choose from. So much I have already done...

I,ve been paid to travel working as a deck hand in Alaska, off the coast of California and out in the gulf of Mexico. Fond memories of going ashore for hiking excursions, seeing the aurora borealis, getting up close and personal with a grizzly bear.

I've been paid to blow things up working on professional pyrotechnic displays.

I've done contracting work on fire alarms and A/V systems.

Worked as a bartender in hotels and on cruise ships.

Worked in a mine for while.

But to choose one job... If I could come up with the capitol or find some investors to pay the bills, I think I'd be a prospector / treasure hunter. Wander the world in search of precious metals and jewls, follow tales of lost treasure and see if I can locate any of it.

My supervisor has ample money for me to take classes, but I seriously doubt he'd be willing to train me in something that would lead to me getting out of here.
Your supervisor is in an excellent position to support your development by:

· Providing feedback on your performance in your current job and identifying your

strengths and areas for improvement.

· Acting as a mentor and coach.

· Representing the organization’s needs, goals and opportunities.

· Communicating what is happening around your organization and within DoC.

· Helping assess your advancement potential and your qualifications for other positions.

· Acting as a resource and referral for exploring your career development options.

· Supporting your training and development, providing training opportunities and

funding if related to the Department’s mission and funds are available.

Hmm...I would understand if the education didn't pertain to anything you could do in your current company, but shouldn't your supervisor's job also be grooming you to move up and out? If that keeps you in the same company, great! If they lose you to an outside opportunity after helping you broaden your horizons, that'd be a shame, but at the same time, score one for you (and for the sup that gave you that extra push).

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

My company makes... widgets. Letting trained widget makers go off and do something they want to do is counter-productive to quick and efficient widget making.

Coworkers who are lower on the totem pole have realized this and thus we are experiencing a "brain drain" as they jump ship to go to other divisions where widget making isn't the prime duty.

What I need to do is get clarification of just what the training money can and cannot be used for. Can it be used for training that benefits the company as a whole, or only for training that benefits my division?

And then I need to email the guy I know who is in charge of the place I'd rather be working in, and ask him what sort of qualifications are needed to get a job with his program.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'm, with BlackJohn

Think Tank.

Aye..I have always said my perfect job title would be "ideas person" ..it's a normal reflex for me to be saying " what about....." or "suppose you.." and the occasional completely random question from out of nowhere that renders everyone in the room like an EF Hutton commercial...yeah..I relish those moments :P

Hmm...I can see it...Oversized Papasan chair...extra pillows...fuzzy socks....big bag of cheetos....everything with orange fingerprints on it..

Hmm maybe caramel Pirate's booty on odd days...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I recently read something quite interesting about brainstorming. For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept, brainstorming is sitting with several people coming up with ideas about how to do something or deal with a problem. As it was originally devised (well, from what I've read) and the way I've always done it with groups when I train them, there are a couple of rules for an effective brainstorming session. First, everyone has to participate. Second, remember that any idea is worth considering and, even if it sounds un-doable, it should still be shared. Third, every idea is written down. Fourth, no negative reactions or attacking of other people's ideas is allowed.

Well, according to my social Psych book, attacking other ideas is actually more productive than not because new ideas come out of the back and forth discussions. (On the down side, however, I can see where this would discourage ideas from typically quiet people with unusual concepts to share.) I think it would work better with a group who was comfortable enough with each other not to feel threatened by criticism. Second, it can actually be better to brainstorm via electronic media (such as a forum...) than in person because people are more likely to share unusual ideas. Third, writing ideas down and then reading them out loud will thwart some of the groupthink that can occur when people are discussing ideas. (Groupthink is basically when everyone starts thinking alike and criticism or wandering too far from the "accepted" idea(s) is not tolerated.) The next time I do a brainstorm session, I may try that third one.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Well I am glad Mission, that you said attacking ideas isn't a bad thing necessarily..let's say "challenging them" not that I'm one of those wussy people who can't defend a thought or just say "oh yeah I guess that would be kinda dumb lol" which would generally be followed by a two second pause and a reworking of it verbally..

However if people are afraid to have their ideas criticized..then all ideas could be presented as anonymous and the group can discuss each one..

But I prefer just to open the door and let my mind wander...you just never know..

like Dr. Seuss says "

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!”

BlackJohn...I never stop thinking...what are you thinking about? :)

However if people are afraid to have their ideas criticized..then all ideas could be presented as anonymous and the group can discuss each one..

That's a good idea. You could combine it with writing things down and then have the group moderator read them for the discussion.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'm considering this morning that phones now have a "Q"

I remember my folks old phone... that key said "P R S" no Q....

evolution on a small scale?

and speaking of evolution..

Yesterday on the way to work I noticed 6 pidgeons sitting on the cross piece of a lightpole (yeah , it's a long drive)

Spaced almost exactly apart from each other. Is that spacing for wing (elbow) room should one wish to depart? or as each space was almost exactly one bird wide between them (which caused me to notice this) are they saving a seat?

If you've ever bothered to notice, birds and fish in large moving numbers, do not whack or jostle into each other like we humans do in a crowd....but they're sitting on a lightpole we made (having thumbs and advanced intellect) ..still they posess this non stumbling ability that we lack..is that a fault in our evolution? a gglitch? a bug?

Hmm...no one is thinking.....

Soldier U.S. Army, even if you make it to retirement you’re still in till the day you die. Hey, that is my real job!

Ok, then in the true spirit of this thread-

Bra Fitter for Playboy Magazine, now there’s a hands on job! :blink:

Arr, hoist them mainsails.

-Greydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!