Gas

blackjohn

Ye say ye live in central Florida? Anywhere near Orlando, perchance? And can I marry you? I'm not looking forward to yet another NE Ohio winter...

Odd thing...on my first trip down to Orlando, by way of Anderson Coach and Tour (tour bus company in these parts, and a good one), when I got off the bus, I was sharply reminded of San Antonio TX. Used to live in Fort Sam Houston. Ask me sometime about when I visited "Vietnam"...

Gas in Central FL ranges from 2.75 up to 3.35. I did catch a listing on one of those Gas Buddy sites that said 5.49 near the airport. I'd like to think that was a typo, but it probably isn't. :lol:

Damn, thats sharp!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Midday today, it dropped to $2.39 a gallon. Eastern Iowa is still higher than most places in Iowa. Even Des Moines. But, still.... I can't complain too much. A bit happier that gas is coming down. Again, I'll be even happier when it's below $2 a gallon AND STAYS THERE!!!!!

Bad enough with all the crap going on here, gas doesn't need to be high.

As to the Elections...Umm... perhaps I'll post that somewhere else. :D

Ugh.... :::Shakes head::::

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

$2.13 yesterday. Some of the family of Cowboy K from the KCMO area said it was $2.09 there. I hopr this lasts through my next two years of school or I may not be able to afford to finish. If it goes back to three buck and higher, I'll be forced to make that decision.

Bo

• 2 weeks later...
How much will you bet that the price will go back up within weeks of the election?

Why?

I wasn't surprised when the Republican oil baron was the front runner and oil dropped in the weeks following the election, the rose right after. But does Obama have any ties to big oil?

(He says, knowing full well the answer is all these guys have ties to big oil, and other big business.)

Ours is not to question why. If my prediction comes true, I have doubts that who gets elected is relevant to the fact that it will go up. Kinda' like my expectation that the stock market will settle down measurably within the weeks following the election. (It actually has more to do with uncertainty than anything.)

Still sliding... (knock wood)

LONDON (Reuters) – Oil fell almost 4 percent to nearly $57 a barrel on Wednesday, its lowest for 20 months, on expectations of weaker energy demand and as global stock markets headed downwards.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

How much will you bet that the price will go back up within weeks of the election?

Why?

I wasn't surprised when the Republican oil baron was the front runner and oil dropped in the weeks following the election, the rose right after. But does Obama have any ties to big oil?

(He says, knowing full well the answer is all these guys have ties to big oil, and other big business.)

Ours is not to question why. If my prediction comes true, I have doubts that who gets elected is relevant to the fact that it will go up. Kinda' like my expectation that the stock market will settle down measurably within the weeks following the election. (It actually has more to do with uncertainty than anything.)

Still sliding... (knock wood)

I appear to be wrong; this may be a reflection of the world economy. It is still dropping here as well. (I still think it'll be back up near $3 a gallon by, say, May or June...but I could be wrong about that too.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I appear to be wrong; this may be a reflection of the world economy. It is still dropping here as well. (I still think it'll be back up near $3 a gallon by, say, May or June...but I could be wrong about that too.)

In one respect I hope you are right, that prices will go up come Summer. I'd like to see the world economy get back on track.

And I hope all those grand plans to come up with alternate fuel vehicles aren't getting shelved. If the govt bails out the auto industry, the better put that money to good use.

My Home on the Web

And I hope all those grand plans to come up with alternate fuel vehicles aren't getting shelved. If the govt bails out the auto industry, the better put that money to good use.

As a Detroit area native with several relatives who work in the industry, I fear that won't be the case if they don't put specific limitations on it. The American Autos have a boom or bust spending mentality that has saddled the industry for as long as I can remember. (I say the autos made their bed, let them lie in it. Sorry relatives!)

I don't think that alternative vehicles have enough economic viability yet or some small or foreign manufacturer would be making a killing on mass producing them. In its present form, this appears to me to be an infrastructure and cost (of the vehicle) problem. I used to work for an NG supplier and they were pushing NG cars, but there weren't enough fueling sites to make it appealing. (NG is not an optimal solution anyhow. Neither is ethanol as far as I understand it. Nor electric. All these things are short-sighted and trade one problem for another.) From the field of options we have I really think solar is the way to go, but the energy efficiency isn't there yet. I also believe strongly in the possibility of an as yet unknown or undiscovered near-future option or even a game-changing new spin on personal transportation.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

One wonders how much the Chinese need for oil, during all their Olympic building and the games themselves, truly affected the price.. now that the games are over and they are done with all the preparations, their demand has dropped and so has the price....

My interest lies in several VA news articles that make the plunging prices of gas sound as if it is a problem...without really explaining as why that might be... one would think with falling prices folks will eventually start going out again and will have a bit more, maybe not a lot, but something to put back into the economy.... If one were to listen to the Charlottesville teenagers, Now they can go back to hanging out at the mall all weekend long, which was curtailed for quite some time during the crunch...and spend a bundle at Claire's, we'll all be back on our feet in no time.... :D

Thank God, mine is not included in those numbers... she wants a new cocked hat, buckled shoes and a riding habit....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

One wonders how much the Chinese need for oil, during all their Olympic building and the games themselves, truly affected the price.. now that the games are over and they are done with all the preparations, their demand has dropped and so has the price....

That's a really interesting observation.

Mission_banner5.JPG

China and the Olympics might have had a little to do with the rise in oil (and thusly, gas) prices, but I'd venture a guess and say it was oil speculators that drove it up, then backed away post election (hmm, convenient) and let barrell prices go down, imho.

Prices here in Orlando seem to range from $1.90 to $2.10 as of late. Nice to spend $20-25 per week on gas again (extra trips not included).

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

With going through about 20-25 gallons a week just going back and forth to two different universities 35 miles apart it is great to see gas here in PA down to just a few cents over $2 as opposed to the over $4 dollars at the end of August ...and with looking forward to driving the 1500 miles to PIP in a few weeks it doesn't seem so daunting any more ....quick calculations should be about $250 each way as opposed to the $500 we were budgeting

For my everyday commute it has also changed with wee Hamish; can't haul him around on the back of my motor-scooter (mmmm I'm seeing a side-car in my near future!!)

Edited by callenish gunner

Hahaha... smart lass, Sterling. :)

:::nods::: Righto, Callenish. Been doing about the same these past couple weeks traveling nigh and hour one way to watch my sister's kids. It's major ouch. But glad that the gas prices have gone down significantly. And hoping they stay down if not go a little lower - like 20 or 50 cents.

It's $1.89 here which is doable and tolerable. I'm actually believing I might be able to make Rev War events actually now on top of a pirate event or two plus Reenactor Fest.

Just hoping that gas remains low.

Yes, the economy suffering is horrid.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

My interest lies in several VA news articles that make the plunging prices of gas sound as if it is a problem...

I think the gist of it is that the fall in prices is due to a worsening economy, ergo it is bad.

But hey, I paid $1.83 for gas yesterday! Amazing! I don't know if this reduced price will last long enough to balance out the damage done to my personal finances over the summer, but every little bit helps.

My Home on the Web

$1.58 per gallon in the south of Columbus where I live... $1.69 up on the North side where I work...

I think lowering gas prices will inspire folks to get out more, which will likely lead to some moderate frivolous spending, which will be good for the economy.

I may be a hard core cynic, but I don't see the price of gas as an economic indictor, but as an economic moderator.

Michael_banner.jpg

we are down to $1.52 per gallon

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...