Finally...............A HOME!

Rumba Rue

It's happened! It's a go! Whoo- hooo!

My big news:

Boats and I will be moving sometime in November if not sooner to our very own HOME!

Yup, we bought a home in San Marcos, on the borderline of Escondido!

Actually, it's a manufactured home in a Senior Park (55 and older), 2 bedroom, 2 bath, good sized kitchen, with a sun room, 1608 sq. ft. (the sun room is not included in that measurement -as it was put on with no permit). There is a wonderful view of the mountains and a great breeze comes through! AND, my friends Dawn (who I share a vendor booth with at the Escondido faire) and Tony live just up the hill off the same road- just a couple of minutes away!

We are right near the Clubhouse that is huge that has a big kitchen, tv room, billard room, gaming room, meeting room and library. The jacuzzi is indoors along with an exercise room. The pool is only three feet deep along the sides and five feet deep in the center- at least that's what we were told....at least it's a pool.

Personally, I'm looking forward to some peace and quiet, with no loud parties til all hours of the morning, no burglaries/car break-ins/damage, no drug dealers, no south of the border types who have absolutely no respect for anyone else that live around them, no car alarms (do you know, there hasn't been a single day in the 13 plus years I've lived in this apartment, that some car alarm hasn't gone off!)

I didn't need my china cabinet, because there is a built in display area in the dining room (that went to Bill's sister) and we just gave our big oak entertainment center to some people down the hall, because there just isn't a wall big enough to put it.

With so much room, we actually don't have enough furniture to sit on, with the exception of our futon that acts as our couch, I guess we will use some of our chairs we use for events, including our camping chairs....lol.....

The only thing I am not liking is the foot feeling good plush WHITE CARPETING throughout including the bathrooms!

We will have to take the carpeting out of the bathrooms and I suggested just putting down some peel and stick tiles till we can afford new flooring.

I truly got sticker shock when I started checking on flooring.....whoa! To put vinyl or laminate throughout I was looking at damn near 9 grand! I think we'll have white carpeting for quite some time..... ;)

We got the home inspection, most was in good condition....there seems to be a question about the plumbing as water wasn't coming out of the shower head in the first bathroom and there was wetness under the house (which sits on piers); the foundation people came out to check that and (they will be making the foundation permanet as required by San Diego and the CalVet loan we are using) and the guy found where the water is coming from (a leaky pipe from the water heater) and we had a plumber inspector come and he fixed the leak. The non-working shower head is now working again, as that was fixed too.

We were also told the roof will have to be replaced in about 5 years or less......

Buying a house is a real eye-opener! ;)

Fantastic News!

Yes, owning a home will be a whole new experience. Other than having children (and playing pirate), there are few other ways to so efficiently decimate your savings. However, the up-side is well worth the learning curves ~

To that end, you may want to consider Lumber Liquidators for flooring. You can purchase solid Bamboo flooring for as little as $2.19 per square foot. Installation (glue or nail - rent the nailer from Home Depot) is pretty easy, but you can also sub-contract it out, if you like. We installed Bamboo ourselves in 2/3 of our home, and really love it.

Congratulations again!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Congratulations, Rumba! Yes, it's an experience - our home is a never ending source of discovery (like discovering there's no insulation under the floor, or that you have windows that don't open) but it's still an adventure worth embarking on.

*raises her tankard* To Rumba and Boats! May their new home bring them joy for years to come!

congrats :) :) we bought a fixer upper... the dang thing is that the things we WANT to do are being constantly interrupted by the things we HAVE to do :lol:

this went out, that went out, plumbing has gone to sh#t, car broke down so no extra money this week, etc., etc... can be a chore sometimes, but worth it in the end...

Congrats Rumba....but a woman as lively and young as you can't possibly be "55 and over"! :lol:

<snicker>

Thank goodness I don't look my age! You should have seen the old men in the Clubhouse looking at me the day we went in to fill out paperwork for the place. It was like you could read their minds......what a hoot! cheerful-vi.gif

LOL... I bet, Rumba. :) That would be a priceless sight. :lol:

Congrats, lass! I wish ye both th' best with yo'r new home. Indeed it's a challenge. Here's to hopes that those challenges and discoveries remain small and minimal.

Really? It's that much for putting down some tile? When I had my own place (granted a manufactured home, too) I was able to replace the carpet and tiling for less than $200. The whole place. Granted it wasn't a huge home but I was bouncing off the walls nonetheless.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

Lady B,

that bottom quote... let mercy come and wash away what i have done----

is that quoting the newer song by licoln park??????????{ awesome song by the way-- my older boys keep me awash in current music}

love it regradless of where it came from.. but i would be interested in knowing.......

lady constance

Congrats Rue !!! Wait'll the nieghbors find out a Pirate has moved in. :blink: Cheers ., Heres wishing for a Swivel-Gun ta be mounted on the whaling of yer deck !

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Thank you!

I bought this metal Halloween sign thing at Jo Ann's that has sort of a pirate ship/skull that is going to be my 'yard decor'. That ought to give the neighbors something to talk about, along with a small Jolly Roger flag! LOL! ;)

Our living room is getting hard to move around in with all the packed boxes piling up.....15 days till escrow closes.

The furniture that is still in the thing - well if it hasn't been removed by the time escrow closes, it becomes mine. Kind of keeping my fingers crossed on that one, because there's some really nice stuff I'd love to keep. ;)

Congrats to you and Boats on the new acquisition my dear. Nothing like owning your own piece of the "American dream." And the satisfaction in knowing no one can kick you to the curb or that you could paint the walls pink and green with no one to say "NO!" but yourself. Nothing in the world beats that feeling.

Please PM me with the new addy so I know where to send cards and such, ok?

CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

Rumba dear..a belated congrats to ye and Boats on yer new abode. White carpeting and all... :huh:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Murphy's Law strikes again!

The VA was late getting their paperwork sent out, so now it will be another 10 days or so before escrow can close. :rolleyes:

Yaaaar, sad to hear but I would like to add the 2nd addition to Murphy's law. Once everything has gone wrong, there is nothing left to block your way. :D

(ok, not and actual addition but something that helps me through the bad times)

HOUSE PARTY AT RUMBAS!!!!

LOL... :P

So.... when is the house party, girl? Granted I doubt I can attend (I do need to move out there). But hell, so many out that direction who might be able to attend. :(

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!