Key gun

Capt. Flint

Ahoy me fellow seadogs..... I saw this gun kit in Dixie gun catalog. It is a large skeleton or jailers key, that is also a matchlock gun. It is very inexpensive and I think it would make a great converstaion piece. What I want to know, purley out of curiosity, is ..... is there any truth to the history of such a weapon. Dixie was unable to answer the question. So I thought I would ask me mates here. I'm not worried about it being authentic or acurate or even functional. ( although the catalog does list it as a fireable weapon ) I just am curious to know if this type of piece ever did exist or is it just fantasy...... Thanks shipmates.... The Capt.

'Ello, Capt. Flinty!

How's life?

Well, I don't know the answer to your question, but I thought I'd add that I saw a neat little weapon belonging to Oliver Platt's character Porthos in the Disney version of The Three Musketeers (with Charlie Sheen and Kiefer Sutherland and Tim Curry). It was a gun that he fired, and then he whipped out the end of it (which was a knife) and stabbed somebody! I thought that was cool, but didn't think it quite period. I did some research, and it really is. Humph! Learn something new every day by watching movies...

B)

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Capt. Flint, I don't know fer sure if such a piece ever existed; but I can say that guns have been teamed with shields, walking sticks, pens...it sure wouldn't surprise me to find a key gun!

There's a book called "FIREARMS CURIOSA" that might answer your question, if you can locate a copy, or someone who has one.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"