What's your Gasoline vs. Event Breaking point?

Gas is almost $4 a gallon. What's the per-gallon breaking point cost that will preclude you from going to a pirate festival or event? Will you be keeping close to home if gas goes to $7 a gallon? Will you not go at all if it's over $10 a gallon?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as of right now, we are planning on borowing the inlaw's rv to travel to PiP...

we know that the gas will cost us alot, but this is kinda a vacation, honeymoon, neat place to go, and piratefest all in one.

if the gas prices sky rocket, then we will have to reconsider. but so far, the savings account fairy has been very good to us, and right now, it will just get better..

but.... all that can change :P

there is the renfest and the piratefest in town ( st. louis ) so, if we have to forgo PiP, we will simply make it up in other ways...

car pool, are we getting paid, reimbursed from the purser, can i talk grace into driving........ i only pack the trailer, i don't tow it thank goodness. it's definitley shortening our radius.

I get pretty good Mileage in my PT Crusier....

And most of the events I do are within a 300 mile radius.

I'd say $10.00 fer me'self.

When I tote Dogzilla though.... :P

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Averaging about 14 hours drive per event, I am hoping we will switch over to water, quit worrying about one herd of caribou up by the pipeline, or actually start developing those cars that get 80 miles to the gallon... geeze they had the prototype back in the 70s/early 80s already...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Realistically, I'll only be able to travel to one event this year. Gas from Minneapolis to Port Washington and back will run us about $250. This is assuming we pack light and get a tune-up, tires properly inflated, etc.

I think I've already reached my breaking point. I'll forgo Shipwrecked Music Festival (10 hours away by car) this summer and whether or not we attend ReEnactor Fest in Chicago next winter will depend on gas prices then.

That's why I love PiP, I can get there and back on less than a tank of gas!

Round tip to Hampton VA will be almost 2000 miles. The rental car should get about 30 miles per gallon. 66 gallons at $3.50 per gallon average is $230 plus the cost of the rental car = $400 total.

Or I could take the old van to Blackbeard, get 10 miles per gallon if I'm lucky, and spend about $700 in gas... :P

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Good question. We've canned our trip to Hampton because of the price of gas. Just too darned expensive for an exploratory trip. It was cheaper to let our prepaid hotel go than to pay for the gas to get there and back.

The other gigs we participate in offset the cost with dough, so we don't see any other changes, even if it goes to $10 a gallon.

The majority of our local gigs are less than 10 miles, we only do two cross staters (John Levique and PiP and the rest of the time we're doing client stuff in the Caribbean and up the east coast. So not much affect for our crewe, except for the occasional desire to explore new events.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I've never been one for road tripping to events, so I've always limited myself to within a couple of hours from home. As long as I can attend the show and get two admission tickets for all less than $100 I'll travel to events. Lessee, I think the farthest event I attend is Ojai and that’s $30 entry for me and my wench at six gallons roundtrip, so as long as gas is under $11 a gallon I’ll go to that event. Irwindale is at, what, $21 a head? So for two salts its $42 add in four gallons of gas roundtrip and even if gas prices are in the teens I’d attend. One day I need to get myself to Corona.

Good question. We've canned our trip to Hampton because of the price of gas.

Damnation Hurricane, wanted to sit down and discuss the tavern brawl with you at Blackbeards...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Gas is almost $4 a gallon. What's the per-gallon breaking point cost that will preclude you from going to a pirate festival or event? Will you be keeping close to home if gas goes to $7 a gallon? Will you not go at all if it's over $10 a gallon?

Interesting way to look at it BlackFox.

For me personally, I always do "local" events. Gas prices or not, I don't see a lot of reason to be running all over creation when the Midwest region has more than enough quality historic events to fill my schedule. I see the increase in gas prices as just another of many reasons to support smaller, local sites & events.

As to the particular numbers, it's all about a fuel efficient car & packing light.

My entire camp & coffeehouse fit in my Honda Civic. No small feat considering the tables, benches & cookware. However, every piece I carry was custom built to fit in my vehicle with a minimum of wasted space. I also work very hard to keep to the bare necessities.

My car averages 40 MPG and can carry another passenger, although the space is increasingly taken by my daughter. The furthest event I do regularly is a 6 hour drive, ~360 miles. That is just under a tank of gas there & back. Even with gas at $5/gallon I still haven't broken $100 in travel expense. With nominal event fees and shared meals no event cost over $150 to attend.

I feel for those struggling to continue attending events. I can only hope that they are able to find ways to lower or offset the expense. It would be a shame to loose anyone due to rising costs.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

chloe,

among other things, i'm the crew stivador and always looking for new things to lighten the load and see how others are packing. although admittedly a civic is more of a challenge than the 20 ft trailer, can you enlighten us with some pictures of the car loaded and what your coffee house looks like set up.

btw- i'm still trying to figure out how i ended up with the trailer in my back yard AND have to pack and repair its contents.

the event has to have the potential of making the gas money and fees back otherwise it has to be eaten by those sharing the trip ..... i live on a pretty fixed income beyond what i make in retail sales! so much above $5 would make me think twice.

What's the per-gallon breaking point cost that will preclude you from going to a pirate festival or event?

NONE as Eye will simply seek to car pool!

Will you be keeping close to home if gas goes to $7 a gallon?

Eye live in San Diego..Am going to NorCal Pirate Festival..(Because Eye wanna meet the Pirates of Emerson..) Cheaper to fly so eye am doing just that..

Will you not go at all if it's over $10 a gallon?

Eye would still go but only if Eye could car pool.. Something Eye already do.. Unless the need fer liberty is worth the extra cost..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

the event has to have the potential of making the gas money and fees back otherwise it has to be eaten by those sharing the trip ..... i live on a pretty fixed income beyond what i make in retail sales! so much above $5 would make me think twice.

As the owner of a stage show that does travel, I second what Callendish has said. Not all in my performance troupe make good wages and every one of us has bills that must be paid each month. So for us to feasibly "do" an event, we have to recoup our gas there AND back, have a place to stay that doesn't cost (and yet provides those wonderful amenities like hot water) and allows us to solicite tips and sell merchandise to make money for the company (again to pay for fun things like a website). Yes, with gas prices hovering near $4.00 a gallon here, it is taking a toll on far out from the home base we travel. Sadly, there aren't that many events; historical and non, that a Tudor era based comedic all female privateer crew can perform at around here. Something about a sea of waving prairie grass that inhibits a maritime theme .... go figure.

btw- i'm still trying to figure out how i ended up with the trailer in my back yard AND have to pack and repair its contents.

Dutchman ... I'm still trying to figure that one out myself! When you figure it out, would you let me in on the secret?? :D

Fair Winds

Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

:o :::gasping loudly and falls over unconscious:::

Oh, dear GOD! If gas goes to $7 a gallon or even $10, let alone $5 a gallon... I don't think I could even live! I'm not joking mates!!! I'll be seeking awfully quick some means to survive by either skipping the country or marryin' myself off to any man. who cares about love, I just want to be able to have a roof over my head, food and drink in my gullet and clothing!

At nearly $4 a gallon... aye, I'm down to one MAYBE 2 events a year. That's pushing it already. Nothing is close to me unfortunately. So, it's incredibly pricy for this Lady. ;)

Not to mention on top of gas, there is food and other expences to take care of.

I mentioned this even on the NWTA chat list. What keeps me from attending a lot of events like I use to... is I'm not as well off as I was in 2001. I've REALLY suffered these past 8 years. From being able to live and survive to just barely able to and it keeps getting worse.

It's gotta end and I'm hoping it'll end VERY soon. Otherwise, I won't be able to be doing anything and I'll be homeless! :D

So, yeah, if gas is up to $5 a gallon... no. No events at all. None and it will just kill me. :D

~Lady B

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I am single and drive a Honda Civic. I have little disposable income. Fortunately for me I have no problem with making a Pyrate event a vacation. I also have the benefit of having ALLWAYS made my vacations as inexpensive as I can so tents and carpooling keep me traveling. The expense of gas is keeping me from expanding my kit and I was hoping to make it to more events than it looks like I will. Working over time helps some but I hate to work over time! :D

Just for the record:

The trip we took to New Orleans and around other places was 47239 miles, it cost us just over three thousand dollars for gas!!!!!!

BTW- Our total expenses for the trip were around 7 grand, half went to gas, the other half went for lodging, food, shopping.

Am I willing to drive far again, uh not for a LONG time!

I will tell you our 2007 Toyota Sienna minivan handled the trip without a single problem! I stand behind Toyota cars 100%, they are the least likely to have any problems.

I have to agree with you Rumba, the minivans are great. Sorry I am to have traded in the Honda Odyssey for the Dodge Durango. The minivan got far better mileage and held twice the crap.

Crewe of the Archangel

I also traded a minivan for a Durango with the 3 row seating a few years ago. It was a trade down in my opinion and a tight fit to get all 5 kids in at the same time. You're lucky if you can fit a few suitcases in the cargo area now.

Luckily I kept my old full size, high top van. The gas mileage is terrible but I can fit tons of stuff inside and still carry a few extra people to events. It also comes in handy as an emergency hotel room, complete with TV and DVD, when the campsite and tents get washed away in the Florida downpours.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Aye, I've had vans in the past and enjoy them FAR better than any vehicle I have had. Even had a Neon once, and the Neon couldn't do half the things I was able to with a van.

Ouch, Rumba... :D

I honestly believe it. That's a LOT to be forkin' out... especially for gas. :D

The US is WAY too big for gas prices to be this high. And in return, diesel is up making everything else go up.

::le sigh::

I'm hoping and praying it'll end soon. Dalton is depressed already wondering about how he will have a vehicle AND afford gas.

Still dreaming of that 98 cent a gallon price.

~Lady B

:rolleyes:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Aye... We barely scrape by as it is, with me bartering for and/or making my own kit items. Up until this spring, we hadn't been to an event for a year and a half, and this one SCA event, which was a 2 hour drive away, was even a strain. Not to mention the fact that employers are complaining about the wages they pay as it is, so no raises around here. Add to that the cost of everyday goods going up because of skyrocketing gas prices... I've heard the same rhetoric over and over from people about how it's "your choice" where you live and where you drive, but in some cases, that's NOT true. For example, Aye, there are fuel efficient hybrid vehicles out there, but at a high price! They're not much seen in the used market, and we can't afford a brand new vehicle. Ahh, so start walking to and from work! But you can't do that when you work more than 10 miles from where you live. No public transit in this area either, and moving across country costs alot of money. Now on the plus side, we'll have our house paid off this year, which is yet another reason we can't move. So eventing is already a strain because of gas prices, which seem to be going up daily.

If we take a look back, when I first started playing in the SCA, Gas was $0.99 a gallon, and minimum wage was $5.15 an hour. Things seemed simpler then... Looking back a year and a half ago, minimum wage was still $5.15 an hour, although the cost of gas had doubled (on average), and the cost of living had risen to match the climbing gas prices. That already put a strain on the lower class in which I fall. Now it costs more than triple in gas to go to an event as it did back when I started, so no out of state events unless we save for nearly a year first.

So to answer the question put to the board... We're already past our breaking point, but really 'ave no choice. :rolleyes: Basically, to be able to make events, we've had to cut out renting any movies, going out to eat, or pretty much any recreational activity. If it hits $10 a gallon, we'll be lucky to survive, much less event.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.