What's your Gasoline vs. Event Breaking point?

Why is it that US oil companies are not allowed to drill off of the coast of Florida. But Cuba is able to tap into that very same oil and so that they can sell it back to us at an inflated price?

'cus Cuba got a cast iron rod, two steel balls, Four coats o' hair they do...US, well, it got unix'd :unsure:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Communist countries have such a good environmental record (see Chernobyl). So the Gulf of Mexico will so much safer since evil Americans won't be drilling for oil off the coast of Florida :unsure:

lgrnpceoilkills.jpg

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

I got a Ford Windstar van from him and have been doing milage checks. I have been averaging 23 to 25 around town and 29 to 31 on the freeways here .Along with that we have tolls on some of our main highways here. That can average .25 to 1.30 a pop at the toll stations. I only go to what I can fit into my work schedule (I work Saturdays). PIP is on fer me if I have to push or hitchhike there. <_<

Animal

Damn! 29 to 31 miles a gallon? I want it back!!!!! :)

-- Hurricane

:o Soryy no indian givers, Capt'n <_< Didn't know it would do that did ya?????

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

CaptainSatan; might that be a shark tail I spy below th' wave just above the 'K' in Killer?

Perhaps th' sharkies been harken' t' th' benefits o' greens in yer diet.... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Methinks me crew and I might hafta choose one or two fewer events. Unfortunately, not much lies within nearly 70 leagues o' our home port.

Or mayhap I'll scale back on me consumption of the rum and ale and stout and... avast! what manner of madness is that?! :blink:

Realistically: we're definitely doing Portland Pirate Festival (already have reservations and vacations scheduled) but probably nothing else this year.

We're already paying $4.57 per gal. for regular, so the belt's cinched tightly now...

Or maybe we'll leave the wee yonkers wi' the nanna....

..naw. How'd we raise 'em t' be full-fledged, self-respectin' pirates wi'out events, arrrr?

Seamus the piper

Realistically: we're definitely doing Portland Pirate Festival (already have reservations and vacations scheduled) but probably nothing else this year.

:huh:

Ye must ha'e reservations And VACCINATIONS t' go t' th' Portland Pirate Festival these days??!??!

....guess I will ne'er get t' see me younger siblin' e'er again at them rates...why them saw bone's rates tis Worse then gas rates the be!!!

:blink:

I keep hopin' an' prayin', mates. Apparently, some of the new "threats" being done by our government to open up more avenues of oils for gas has brought the price back down. I think those making oil are getting the hint as fewer and fewer travels are made, airlines hurting bigtime, and people are desperately finding more efficient if not different means of travel.

The sad thing be... with these small, fuel efficent vehicles.... they do very little for a roadtrip with a few people AND equipment. Leaves us hobbyists in the dust.

Sorry, ye can't haul a horse trailer with a Yaris or one of those wee fuel efficient cars or even some 4 door hybrid. :(

I'm no firm believer in this or that.

But, if one is careful, go for the off-shore drilling. Yes, other countries need to mellow as well and use their gasoline wisely by using more ecofriendly gasolines. I've been using ethanol for a few years now and have had my vehicles run amazingly well and smooth as they run well past 200,000 miles on them.

I've heard much about hydrogen and how far better it be. If so, let's convert.

But ye know it's bad when Donald Trump barks at the high gas prices and even Mr Pickens (big oilman) is offering major solutions to helping with the crisis in offering other energy alternatives besides oil.

It's been pushed since the 80's to use environmentally friendly fuels and energy since the fossil fuels are depleating swiftly and are not so clean. But it's the realization that they are depleating swiftly, yes, we need more sound means of energy.

And alas, the world so over populated doesn't help any either! Just think how much CO2 a person emits!

But it's a severe and sad pity how these gas prices and energy issues have really, really hurt the reenacting and portrayal hobby.

In the NorthWest Territory Alliance, their attendence numbers have dropped and they asked what is keeping people away. I simply told them for the distance to drive, I cannot do as many events as I would fancy. What once cost me no more than $30 round trip per event (chicago and back) now costs me triple to quadruple that per event! That's major ouch! for someone who doesn't live within an hour of an event. And that price at every other weekend? Mates, it adds up! The lower prices allowed me to travel and attend and even spend and put in my good part for the economy, either locally or elsewhere in the nation!

There IS a way to save out economy AND have the lower gas prices. Cause face it... were are NOT Europe in size nor good public transportation. (among other things) Cause I would LOVE to visit friends all over the US, attend these events... and even go visit family members who live farther away such as eastern Kentucky... Memphis, Tennessee... Phoeniz, Arizona... or even visit my grandma more often who lives an hour away from me (since she's not doing so good)! But how in the devil can I do all that when I am forced to limit my spending of gasoline, my travels. Oh, hell no, your job place WON'T up your salary, too much of a bloody damn cost to them and their greed for profit! ;)

Protesting is one thing, but when usage and travel is cut, the economy running into the ground... that speaks louder than anything else.

Cause I know I would LOVE to help boost the economy by traveling more and going to more events.

~Lady B

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I think the main issue is the erosion of earning power.

For example, in 1981, the cost of a gallon of gas averaged $1.38. If you factor in inflation, that's $3.15 today. In 1981, it was easier to pay that $1.38 than it is to pay even $3.15 a day. Even without profiteering or price manipulation, earning power is eroding. Of course, the price has been all over the place. I just picked that year at random since it was the year I started working in the real world, fresh out of college.

For example, I made $5 a hour in 1981 and managed to live. With inflation factored in, that is $11.40 an hour -- not many people make that even now. I know a lot who are just above minimum wage. That seems to be a big factor, especially when housing is so far out of whack. Inflation alone has averaged 4.18% a year and raises don't seem to keep up with that. And who could forget the wonderful year of 1980 when inflation was a whopping 13.52%.

Go here and you'll be amazed at how the value of the dollar and our purchasing power has changed over the years...

http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/?re...ators/ppowerus/

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

What gets only little talk 'n thought is how much else be also hurt by th' oil prices. With every cent it goes up so does everything else go up - food, clothing, personal hygiene products (naught that us pirates care fer that but..), weapons, powder, clean'n supplies, pretty sharp shinies. Add it all up 'n a what was a simple trip last year now be a major plan'n event...'er an out-n-out bust.

But o' course such people as Nancy Polosie, Arnold the Swarts, 'n th' like, it do naught bother them much as they all get paid six figure salaries out o' Our pockets if they do anythin' bout it 'er naught....plus all their other annuities fer bein' such wonderful government figure heads 'n speak holes. Heck, in Los Angeles we even pay a man fer t' be "The Pot Hole King"....he don't do much else but run round after anchor women...but fer six figure a year he be "The Pot Hole King"...'n now he need even more o' our coin t' keep it up. Like, we do want a 'smooth ride' cross town see'n as that be as far as we little people can afford t' go these days..... :D

'n lets not forget our wonderful House o' th' Senate who all take their six figure each out'a our pockets, 'n work so hard fer it that e'ery two or so week they gott'a take a few week off so they can rest - tis such Hard Work t' screw e'ery thing up ye knows.... :(

aye, Hurricane.

What, but a few years ago the minimum wage rose from $5 an hour to $6... Now it be $7.25... still not enough. Heck, I'd LOVE to make $11 an hour at 40 hours a week! But to get that, ye have to be this "perfect" employee that NEVER complains, has perfect everything and even a degree. Oy! What's up with that?!?

Hurts my situation more with the recent flood and released wrongfully from work cause I was unable to get to work cause of the floods. Now, attempting to conjure up money and get any job is tougher than it really is... eventhough places say they are hiring.

But, aye... it's sad how much everything has increased and for those who make $50k or definitely less a year... we can't keep up. Last I read, the average income in Iowa as around $35k annually. Can we say OUCH!

So, yes... as much as I would LOVE to attend more events, to visit with many of you and have a great time, great vacation... the means financially is just not there. Not when as Hurricane stated, everything else has gone up in price. And this hurts most of all those on fixed incomes. I know some retirees both attended our events, supported and even a few would participate. Now... they can't.

Someday, mates. Hopefully soon. Relief.

~Lady B

:blink:

There's been talk here in Calif. that minimum wage might go up to $10.00 an hour.

and guess what? It still isn't enough to live here in Calif. on.

Calif. has the HIGHEST property taxes of any state in the USA. Also the second highest gas prices next to Hawaii who are the first.

Yet you can afford to live here (we've managed as have others who have a lot less), depending on where and what kind of job you have that will offer you security of not being fired or let go. I can tell you here in Escondido, stores are hurting not just by low sales, but by lack of employees who can't afford to live on their measly wage of $7.25 an hour. There's LOTS of jobs awaiting. Got waitress experiance? Got cashier experiance? You easily can get a sales job, but don't expect ten bucks an hour.

My partner Boats has worked for the County of San Diego for over 20 years, it's taken him that long to finally get some decent pay. Thankfully his Navy retirement has kicked in - that's how we are going to be able to buy a home to live in....we hope.....Thank goodness the home prices are coming way down to actually affordable.....almost.

As for events, gas is the major reason why we are not going to many events this year.

There's been talk here in Calif. that minimum wage might go up to $10.00 an hour.

But what does that accomplish?

Any time they raise the min wage then everything in the stores go up, usually middle-class salaries remain the same, so we do is broaden the width o' th' lower-class.

I saw that in th' Army, every year we got a "Cost of Living Increase" and every year every thing in the PX went up in price within 2 to 3 weeks later; especially on ALL the necessities - shaving cream, shoe polish, Brasso, even hair cuts went up!

Once I saw th' trend I took note; now I do naught, 25 years later, still remember the exact figures but it was something like:

$12 per month Cost Of Living Increase

$17 per month more just t' live the SAME life style

I started yelling "KEEP YOUR SO-CALLED INCREASE AND JUST LOWER THE PX PRICES!!"

but did anyone listen to me? NOOOOoooo...instead they just raised the min wage. :rolleyes:

now I could go into other 'factors' that drive the cost of living up in California...but I will leave well enough alone.

MadL.. History is just repeating itself... again. For the umteenth billionth time. :rolleyes:

~Lady B

:huh:

Well...if history is gon'a keep repeating itself, the we please repeat the GAoP...just for a while...like perhaps th' next 100 'er so years?

Or, if that be too tall an order t' ask, then can we repeat th' day when th' US had a pair, re-live th' good ol' days o' "Don't Tread On Me" instead o' 'Ooops, I'm sorry, did I step on yer toes?'