sailing master

i can volunteer to be sailing master. i have experience sailing lakes, not the sea..

i have a few books on period ships that i can use as a refresher to update my knowledge and terminology so as to make a more believable character.

lemme know what you guys think..

also my wife being an r.n. could serve as cook or surgeon's assistant.

• 1 month later...

What is the name of that book everyone at PiP was talking about with all the period sailing terminology and knots in it? I believe it was Patrick and Jim who were speaking so highly of it...and as I recall it was sort of expensive.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Yes, I believe that is the book, although my memory is a tad foggy. Thanks, Willie. (For some reason I had $100 in my head, but that may be due to my own foolish spending habits on certain books rather than a recollection of what happened in December of last year.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Two other books that may be of interest: Seamanship in The Age of Sail , John Harland and The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor : Or a Key to the Leading of Rigging and to Practical Seamanship , Darcy Lever.

I have had a chance to read parts of each but do not own either, dash it all.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Hi Y'all,

It's your resident greedy merchant checking in.

Dover Publishing has some excellent titles on ropework, and I just happen to have a Dover account.

Capt'n Jim, if you're interested, the Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor is available in a Dover paperback edition for $17.95. And, I just happen to have 2 copies in my inventory.

Another title with a wealth of information is: The Art of the Sailor: Knotting, Splicing, and Ropework by Hervey Garret Smith. Dover paperback edition goes for $9.95. Just happen to have a couple of those laying around on the shelves.

Dover has a couple of other titles that might be of interest to those of you interested in knot and rope-work. If you wish, you can order them direct from Dover Publications, or you can support your "local" merchant, and order them through me. The price will be the same. If there's something you'd like me to order in for you just let me know. If you're the patient sort, I'll bring them to PIP, and you can avoid shipping charges.

I hope this totally unsolicited advertisement doesn't offend anybody,but I thought I would let you know that these titles are available at affordable prices.

And remember, he (or she) who dies with the most books wins!!!

Greg,

Book Junkie, and Merchant Extraordinaire