Steam Punk.....

Patrick Hand

Gotta rant too...

I gotta ask, what is it with bellydancing and SP. It seems like bellydancers are flocking to SP, is it the leather and brass?

Engine vibrations from the airships, man. :blink:

Why ask why? Just sssshhhh and drink your beer.

Dances for nickels.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta ask, what is it with bellydancing and SP. It seems like bellydancers are flocking to SP, is it the leather and brass?

I can't speak for everyone...for Mae and I, it was "Oh sh*t this performance is in a few weeks and we don't have costumes!" We both had steampunk costumes in the works, so we used the pieces and design ideas we already had and assembled the rest around them.

Overall, I'm not sure about the connection. Other than that the mini-vests make great dance tops. :blink: Some of the tribal belly dance waves are using more and more of the calliope-style music, which fits well with some interpretations of steampunk- Abney Park's "Herr Drosselmeyer's Doll", for instance. Perhaps there's a connection there too.

And...yeah. What Story said. :lol:

Just my two cents!

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

Well, most of the Ren Faire/pyrate events I've been to had belly dancers as well, soooo....ummm, maybe it's just a "Guys like to look at pretty girls moving all slinky-like?"

I mean, I'm a girl, so I just like the costumes and the fun of dancing. (I only belly dance in my living room—when I'm alone or with CS! )

I know the first time JT and I met at Ojai, one of the first place we stopped was the belly dancing stage. And I notice that Mad Dogge always gets his picture taken with the belly dancers at Port Washington. :blink:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I know the first time JT and I met at Ojai, one of the first place we stopped was the belly dancing stage.

Now Ransom... ye know the belly dancer I stopped t' watch was a friend... Aye, an those other dancers wanted t' be friends, too!

An well... I'm a friendly fella... ask any belly dancer!

• 2 weeks later...
Here are a few costume elements I thought I would try to work with...

I love these!

3445652440_fe0d9d353a.jpg

And I thought this jacket would accent a hint of Military or of Mercenary elements

3445652446_5801c1eb92.jpg

Very sharp!!

I have a shell jacket which I was working on... Kinda reminds me of that!!

Love the boots!!

Those would be perfect!!!

Edited by Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

...... And I notice that Mad Dogge always gets his picture taken with the belly dancers at Port Washington. :D

they always git their picture taken with me!!!.....just to set the record straight that is..... :D

(not that i was complainin er anythin)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I love these!

And I thought this jacket would accent a hint of Military or of Mercenary elements

Very sharp!!

Love the boots!!

some how ...i can actually picture you in those boots..... :D

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

some how ...i can actually picture you in those boots..

No Fair..... I wanted to say /type/post that.... but well it wouldn't be right...... (but it was funny)

It's the Jacket... looks nice, but it buttons up the wrong side...... :D

I love these!

Very sharp!!

Love the boots!!

some how ...i can actually picture you in those boots..... :rolleyes:

You're just jealous!!! MD can be such a Be-ach!!

Besides... I let you wear the haltertop... So I get to wear the boots!!!

AAAAARgh!!!!

sig2.jpg

I'm also getting sh-tuff for my kids together... Kind of a cross between Gangs of Newyork street urchens... and a steam punk/ fall out kinda thing??

sig2.jpg

Now that's interesting...a bit early (1860s) type thingy...but doable.

What about you and Maggie?

I have my bowler wearing pinkerton/ cut throat impression...

I also just picked up a nice dark red, double-breasted vest, with brass buttons... Very cool!! I might add temp lapel straps... and go with some loud stripped pants....?? or use black wool ones with a pair of brown canvas gaiters I'm working on!!

I have a temp leather shoulder holster.. and have various belts and such....

Mags has a couple sharp jackets... a vest... a pair of jack boots from Russian WWII... she might also have a pair of zip boots.... But she might stay more dirty and "weathered" kinda like a mechanic...

But I think she also needs a more commoner's rig also!!

SO we have a different vest/ skirt... stockings and such!!

I need to get some pics made... but I don't want to just shoot in the yard.... I kinda want to get some stuff in a better local....

Maybe we could gather at the swansons??? for an afternoon???

I have to say... the kids are growing like weeds!!!

sig2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm curious to know how many of my fellow pyrates are also on the brass goggles forum? I'm there I just haven't had alot to say as of yet as I'm still getting ideas as this is a rather newish thing for me(new in dress not new in thought).

The cool thing about is my husband who wants pretty much nothing to do with my pyrate stuff seems to be interested in steampunk enough to put together an outfit. I think my kids may go as little steamers this Halloween as my daughter has taken a liking to the goggles, that's my girl :P .

siggy.jpg

I am on BG as Mal `e Diction. I don't post a lot either, but it's fun to ck into now and again. And my husband is also into the look, doing the Big Game Hunter, like Sean Connery in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Me, I'm more of a punked out airship pyrate! :P

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I post as Silas Morgan.....

I (hopefully) may be able to get some pictures on my Airship Pyrate stuff the weekend after next at The San Mateo Makers Faire.... (Combat Kilt an all.......)

• 2 weeks later...