Shipwrecked Scenario

"...There are such English men and women in most places of any great trade, both in Spain and ‘Portangell’ [Portugal], and in some places in Italy, and suchlike houses of entertainment are in most places where any ships come, that trade never failing till it hath confounded both body and soul into Hell, for go where you will, you shall sooner find where you may learn vice than virtue, for the way that leadeth to destruction is wide and easy to be found.” (Barlow, p. 163-4)

Thank you kindly, Mission for the above information.

It is quite interesting that even knowning the 'dangers' of such places (houses, ordinaries, taverns and such), that men/women would still flock to them as if they were moths to a flame; enjoying all the sins, vices, and lustful acts that man-kind through the centuries has always struggled with.

(Lilly smiles) "It's a dirty job...but someone has to do it!"

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, once I find a topic to watch for I can't resist finding material about it...

“[June 1704] the finest women [in Aveiras, Portugal] that generally appear to common view are the courtezans, who will get by their doors well dressed, and barefaced invite men to them with a glib tongue, but are said to be generally dangerous and hot as their country is; as indeed several of our sailors experienced, but a clap is little regarded there, whether not so dangerous, or from the commonness, I don’t know.” (Ingram/Rogers, Three Sea Journals of Stuart Times,p. 209)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Aye that be Cheeky alright...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/