Shipwrecked Scenario

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be three main acts, for lack of a better term, that will be carried out daily including one good battle with the fort. We are leading up to these in the other thread. Currently we are sketching out background plot lines so that everyone has some sort of history to fall back on when conversing in front of spectators at the event.

Think of it as a semi immersion type weekend... and please treat any spectators as if they are ordinary civilians from the time period not as if they are strange alien creatures from another time frame... :unsure: If you need to break out of character to answer questions please feel free to do so, but otherwise treat them like they are one of us.

Do you have to take on a major/speaking role in all or any of the scenarios?

No of course not, if you wish to just be color for a scenario please feel free to do so.

Do you have to post to the background/storyline?

No of course not, but if you would like to and/or you believe it may help the over all events, please feel free to do so.

Are all these things set in stone?

No of course not... they are posted here to discuss, brain storm ideas and hopefully grow a fun and significant event for our hosts and the spectators..As well as for ourselves..

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

You got it Fayma. I will keep you posted.

Crewe of the Archangel

Hmm. I have read a bit about medicine as related to shipwrecked/marooned sailors and was planning to read a book recommended by one of my contemporary books on medicine during period. I plan on putting a chapter in my little opus on the topic.

However, it seems we're going for being shipwrecked on an inhabited island and working that into the weekend if I understand this correctly. How do you figure to put the notion that we're shipwrecked across (as opposed to what we did last year) to people? Perhaps Captain Jim should go down on weekends and build a lifesized replica of a wrecked ship on the navy side of the beach...

Incidentally, I plan to do at least one explanatory thing if we can work it into the schedule. Probably about 15-20 mins talking about surgery, how a surgeon would come to be with pirates, some of the more gory aspects of the trade with an explanation of the tools I will have. Like something you might see at Williamsburg, I suppose. It will be in costume, but not "in character" as I want to relate to the modern audience directly.

If we're going for marooned, I want to be the Professor.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

It will be in costume, but not "in character" as I want to relate to the modern audience directly.

Mission that is a wonderful idea...but you need not 'fall out of character' when explaining such things to the public.

For those who have been to the popular Living-History sites (such as Colonial Williamsburg and Plymouth Plantation) they stay in first-person all day long and talk with the public as if they were neighbor, friend or visitor. The public expects the 'tone' of speech to be a bit different.

Now this does not mean you have to study period speach and brush up on your English accent. It just means to be careful not to use modern slang in your speach.

Dropping a few words of sailor speach would be helpful too.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Captain Sterling/William Red Wake/Mission and any one else who can help.

I plan to make it to PIP this year. The difficulty I am having is...'why am I board ship and what do I do once I come ashore?'

Those who have been reading the storyline "Port Royal" knows who and what Lilly McKinney is - yet, I am having some difficulty trying to come up with a 'job' for Lilly to do while she is there.

I can assist in the medical tent, - yet, other than getting in a row at the ordinary...there is not much else I can think of contributing to the story-line.

I want to play...but Lilly is limited. Bess Hagarty could show up...but Captain Sterling wants Lilly there.

Help a gal out....Comments, Ideas, and Suggestions welcome, cash would be nice too!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Not having read the storyline, I have no idea what Lilly McKinney is. However, since we are encamped near the town of Port Royal (albeit a Port Royal that existed 40 years before our encampment - if I recall rightly, they're doing 1681 this year) and the fort is run by a (very) ragtag group of British soldiers, methinks anyone of any job could have decided to join the camp for their own reasons. (Provided they had a time machine, of course. Too bad I sold my DeLorean...) Willie Wobble was from Port Royal, but he served as sometime camp cook for the Mercury and Archangel.

As for staying in character for an already challenging role of remembering a presentation without the aid of PowerPoint aback of me...we shall see what we shall see. I hope my book is done by then. (I am up to 120 pages of notes with several books and scholarly article yet to read - and I have my eye on a few more... If I haven't started writing the book proper by late June, please feel free to shoot me. With a period correct gun, of course.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Actually Mission there is no need for an actual ship to be built and wrecked upon the rocks... the Shipwrecked title just stuck since the last Pip tis all... a better name maybe The Powder Magazine, or something along those lines... as when locked in a boarding action with the Archangel, the Mercury's powder magazine blows.... all we need is debris.... and Spike and Bone Islanders are already building, if I recall correctly, two forty foot sections of wrecked masts...

Crewe of the Archangel

As for staying in character for an already challenging role of remembering a presentation without the aid of PowerPoint aback of me...we shall see what we shall see. I hope my book is done by then. (I am up to 120 pages of notes with several books and scholarly article yet to read - and I have my eye on a few more... If I haven't started writing the book proper by late June, please feel free to shoot me. With a period correct gun, of course.)

Mission the best thing for you to do, is start "going through the motions" of what a certain type of surgery required... for instance, an amputation. Read the steps out loud to yourself and act them out at home... no you don't need props of any sort yet... rather like air-bowing or air guitar, such as muscians do to practice fingering without actually playing or using the instruments...

Keep practicing until you can do the motions with another character...you won't need tons of notes or a power point, you'll just do it... kind of like a picture is worth a thousand words.

Also, any straight lectures out of character are perfect as well... please just let us know about what time you wish to make your presentation and if you need someone to help you... we shall make sure you get listed on the schedule for the public.

Crewe of the Archangel

Crewe of the Archangel

Uhm, I was curious when the whole Mercury camp thing changed from a re-enactment camp to a semi scripted weekend of drama with a strong historic theme?

I am all for those who wish to take the extra effort for complete immersion. All the power to them... But this is somewhat of a vacation for me (and if I am not mistaken many others as well), and to be quite honest that level of acting is VERY exhausting to me.... There isn't a snowballs chance in Hades that I can or will put on that much acting, nor do I feel it is fair to myself (or any others who feel similarly to me) to be designated as "extras" or "canon fodder" to those who feel the need to be the stars of the show.

Not trying to be contrary or thumb my nose at anyone, but ambitious (and in my opinion overly ambitious) ideas like this are causing me to serious reconsider going. Or at the very least making me considering joining one of the more relaxed camps if this "complete immersion" thing gets take too far... Or really taken any distance at all.

Sorry, I take my re-enacting seriously, but I do like to have fun as well... And remembering that much script and background is just making my head hurt.

I also have a hard time justifying in my mind that degree of effort knowing that most of the spectators will visit for a few hours, a few hours ONLY, and only one day or the other... A long running story of any complexity is just not justifiable or seemingly reasonable to me. Efforts would be better spent on creating stories or dramas the length of our target audiences attention span... which in REALISTIC terms is a half an hour to an hour...

Michael_banner.jpg

Honestly Mike, this is just a chance to see who can do what and who is willing to do what... as you have just shown. There is no set rule to any of this, so don't panic. If you just want to come down and hang out that isn't a problem for anyone here, and certainly doesn't mean you will end up as cannon fodder going down on the first shot.

Likewise, is that if folks want to keep busy by doing more with the crowds, that doesn't make them spot light hogs, it's just how they like to contribute for the sake of the event and the spectators. Many crews strongly believe that if we are invited to attend an event we are their to "work" and contribute as much as we can. If you or anyone else doesn't like being the center of attention where the spectators are concerned or do not enjoy playing the immersion game, in this case, only semi immersion, then by all means feel free to say so. There are plenty of other things for everyone to do.

For example as in Williamsburg, (are we at their level, hell no but no reason for those that want, to not keep trying) there are those that do the living history, staying in a character all day long working with the crowds and interacting with them and the other Williamsburg LH folks, and there are those in the shops that purely demo skills from the time frame, or talk about the history of that particular building... there is a place for both at all events.

So taking part is not mandatory nor is writing in the story line... if it came across that way, my apologies. But these items are here to help those that do wish to put in as much as they can.

Many folks here are simply new to reenacting, and certainly have not done immersion at any level. If they wish to try, we shall do what ever we can to make them feel comfortable and help them learn how to develop their role. That is all this is... period.

But I do beg to differ regarding the entire spectator thing. When doing American Old West, Kish events were always run as an on going plot line for the entire day, broken up into small scenarios that linked with reenactors carrying on "personal" items in between. Most spectators not only staid all day long but many returned the next day to see the entire thing over again. If you give them something to stay for, in most cases they will.

Crewe of the Archangel

Ahhh... My apologies if I can across a little too aggressively negative about this.

One of my concerns that I did not realize fully or communicate in my knee jerk reaction, was that with this level of plot detail going on, those of us who choose to take an easier going approach to this may run the risk of doing or saying something contrary to the story lines, and inadvertently spoiling a part of the story or another.

Like I said in my initial post, I am all for those who are interested in going the extra mile in this manner. While I do not have the propensity or mind set for it, I do really appreciate others who do, and quite enjoy it.

I have seen far too many instances where someone's story has been quite accidentally damaged by someone who was not as passionate about that element of the hobby... And it has lead to some ugly frictions.... Keeping it simple and taking it more from an angle of a very simple and basic story with few details affords us lazy folks :lol: the security of knowing what is going on and participating to our own style, but allows us the freedom to not cause friction by accidentally stepping on the toes of a more deeply immersed individual.

Michael_banner.jpg

Never a problem Mike. I don't take offense as tis never worth doing so. The problem with emails and chat sites is that sometimes it is hard to tell... I appreciate your knee jerk reaction as you call it... because you are entitled to your opinions and your input helps make things work for the best in the long run for all those involved.

The goal here is three connecting scenarios, that on their own stand and function as well alone... also at least one major battle a day. If people want to continue with the Living History between those scenarios, by all means do so. This type of thread allows them to see what is going on, what others might be planning and then they can bounce ideas off of each other BUT there is no one or two main characters. Each person creates what they want to do and then they do it.. since no one character is the star,in the case someone does not show at the last moment, the main scenarios can still go forward... The only way we might have a problem is if, all of one crew playing an opponent can not show at the last minute... but never one or two...

Crewe of the Archangel

Michael,

I agree with you. My first year I had no choice but to be much but a spectator with a pistol. Last year I was more PC and still watched. 2008 I am going to try for something in between.

I am going to have an "ordinary" on shore. My thoughts are as follows. We were encouraged to use one fire but with two opposing camps. The ordinary solves that problem. Additionally the opposing camps have just lost their ships and stores so being the entrepreneur that Miss McDonough is she makes use of the situation. As proprietor she can't side with either Archangel or Mercury (or whatever name is used) that makes the ordinary neutral territory. The kitchen is shared. Plates, flatware, cooking equipment, water etc. can all be stored at a centrally located place. Food will be served at cost to any who have prepaid for the supplies. There will be coffee in the morning and 2 meals a day, Gatoraid and water. I hope to encourage the playing of games and talk, we could discuss politics of the day ...1720 that is and still not be in character ...because politics's of the day will be history to others. Alcohol will be stored behind the bar (BYOB) and served (when there are spectators ...if I can find help) to all "patrons" ...now ...this is all in the planning stages and come December may have gone through many permutations. (and I am very poor at follow through ...somebody find the slow match!). I myself do intend on taking part in the scenarios but the ordinary will likely be the "stage" for some of the action and we need many who are not participating to be "color". To help bridge the gap between the re-enactors and those in shorts and tee shirts who will likely not be "in the ordinary (unless we decide differently). I think there is room for all of us to have fun and be as PC character as we feel the need to be.

ANY suggestions from others are greatly appreciated ...soon I shall start a thread specifically for the ordinary.

Captain Sterling/William Red Wake/Mission and any one else who can help.

I plan to make it to PIP this year. The difficulty I am having is...'why am I board ship and what do I do once I come ashore?'

Those who have been reading the storyline "Port Royal" knows who and what Lilly McKinney is - yet, I am having some difficulty trying to come up with a 'job' for Lilly to do while she is there.

I can assist in the medical tent, - yet, other than getting in a row at the ordinary...there is not much else I can think of contributing to the story-line.

I want to play...but Lilly is limited. Bess Hagarty could show up...but Captain Sterling wants Lilly there.

Help a gal out....Comments, Ideas, and Suggestions welcome, cash would be nice too!

We are indeed doing 1681 Port Royal at the Catt & Fiddle this year. We would love to have a Lilly stop by and entertain now and again, or just be fawned over by the reprobates that populate our part of the fort.

We also plan to have several bar brawls this year in the Catt & Fiddle. So anyone that wants to brawl can come play with us in that respect. And as you recall we have the usual bar games and period tavern all set up. I think we just gained a set painter on the crewe so who knows, we may be going nuts this year with the tavern. :)

I will create a new section for our scenario so you can see what we're up to this year.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I am sure some of the Archangel will want in on that brawl action....

Crewe of the Archangel

We count on the Archangel coming in for a little brawling, sir! What would a good brawl be like with bottles cracking over heads without the likes of your crewe there.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

With an invitation like that... look for us... we shall be there....

Crewe of the Archangel

I have to apologize as well for the "knee jerk reaction" from my other half. Most of it was my paranoia, and I am ashamed to admit that I am a little gun shy (pardon the pun) when it comes to immersion because of being previously burned (and burned badly) doing something such as that.

My style of re-enacting, I suppose, is more of a demonstration style. I am decidedly NOT good with accents and remembering that I am actually Kate, and not Jessica. There is where my problem lies.

Funny thing is, when I worked at a ren faire for a good few years, I had no problem staying into character....then again, how hard is it to be the shopgirl? :lol:

I do want to try at PiP though. I can't guarantee good results, and I definately can't guarantee that I will be up for putting on the airs every day, but I think that I have written Michael and I up a decent (and very flexible) history that can be worked into the whole deal.

Wow...my train really de-railed with that....didn't it?

Banner.jpg