Shipwrecked Scenario

The main problem is...you need to decide which character you wish to portray down there, two or more are out of the question for you, as since you are flying in, you can only bring one suitcase!!! B)

Yes, of course Captain. One character for PIP....

Lilly will be there - helping out in the items we've discussed and making sure that Captain is 'happy' B)

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope to encourage the playing of games and talk, we could discuss politics of the day ...1720 that is and still not be in character ...because politics's of the day will be history to others.

...This is all in the planning stages and come December may have gone through many permutations. I myself do intend on taking part in the scenarios but the ordinary will likely be the "stage" for some of the action and we need many who are not participating to be "color".

To help bridge the gap between the re-enactors and those in shorts and tee shirts who will likely not be "in the ordinary (unless we decide differently). I think there is room for all of us to have fun and be as PC character as we feel the need to be.

ANY suggestions from others are greatly appreciated ...soon I shall start a thread specifically for the ordinary.

Well Silkie...

This is a wonderful idea. Cards, dice, bones and other games of the time will and should be interesting to show the 'visitors'

Also, we could have a 'simulated cat-fight' or two. Hmmm, I wonder what and whom I can fight with and for what reason?

This will make for lots of fun.

And you will share your lovely voice with us, will you not?

Perhaps a period sing-along during the day?

Member of "The Forsaken"

We are indeed doing 1681 Port Royal at the Catt & Fiddle this year. We would love to have a Lilly stop by and entertain now and again, or just be fawned over by the reprobates that populate our part of the fort.

Well...make sure they have good coin with 'em before they fawn over me, Hurricane!

And best they be gents in their manner and actions or they will pay a pretty price, indeed!

Member of "The Forsaken"

I have to apologize as well for the "knee jerk reaction" from my other half. Most of it was my paranoia, and I am ashamed to admit that I am a little gun shy (pardon the pun) when it comes to immersion because of being previously burned (and burned badly) doing something such as that.

My style of re-enacting, I suppose, is more of a demonstration style. I am decidedly NOT good with accents and remembering that I am actually Kate, and not Jessica. There is where my problem lies.

Funny thing is, when I worked at a ren faire for a good few years, I had no problem staying into character....then again, how hard is it to be the shopgirl? B)

I do want to try at PiP though. I can't guarantee good results, and I definately can't guarantee that I will be up for putting on the airs every day, but I think that I have written Michael and I up a decent (and very flexible) history that can be worked into the whole deal.

Wow...my train really de-railed with that....didn't it?

Kate,

Here is something that works fairly well in new surroundings.

Find a 'friend' to play with when you are out and about that day. Some one you know who has a strong sense of being, able to holding themself in public, and working off of them.

Observe them for a bit in action, interact off of them with some basic questions...have them ask YOU questions. You don't have to have an accent. Just talk slow, loud and clear.

You can as little or as much as you want. Find your comfort level...It has to be something YOU are comfy with.

Member of "The Forsaken"

I have to apologize as well for the "knee jerk reaction" from my other half.  Most of it was my paranoia, and I am ashamed to admit that I am a little gun shy (pardon the pun) when it comes to immersion because of being previously burned (and burned badly) doing something such as that.

Well then, my dear, you shouldn't be apologizing...you should be giving your gent a kiss for standing up for you!

Like Cheeky said, there is a place for everyone, step up and operate at your own comfort level... there are many there that are more than willing to work with you at your pace. We are all working at different levels, and them that have more experience are more than happy to help those with less experience where ever they desire assistance. Speaking for my crewe and I could say the same of all the great folks at PiP, there are none there that are going to give you a hard time because you are new at something... Events are more fun when we all work together.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I can actually appreciate Michael's & Kate's concerns, as I wondered the same thing last year. Having seen this crew in operation, let me just comment with something the wonderful Mrs. Diamond told me in advance of last year: whatever efforts you make to on behalf of your character are appreciated. That's exactly the way I experienced it, everyone appreciated the scant research I had done and the (very misguided) efforts I made to play at accent on rare occasion. (Bilgemunky and I had a conversation about the inevitable self-consciousness you feel at trying to affect an accent. Both of us tried...I don't know about him, but I had a few shining moments...and far more moments of recourse back to the midwestern nasal twang.) Some people were in character all the time, many were not. Also, you can pretty much come and go as you like. You can even miss entire battles if you tarry at lunch over conch fritters. You will only receive the better part of a full day of good-natured ribbing about it when you're the second officer of the ship. ;);)

(As a surgeon on the battlefield, I sort of felt like Eli Wallach in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. There was a scene where he and Blondie went down to the bridge over the river with the wooden stretcher full of dynamite and they ran into some genuine surgeon's mates going the other way with a wounded man on another stretcher. To make a good show of it, Blondie grabbed the wrist of a (presumably) dead man lying by the river to check his pulse and Tuco grabbed his ankle. That's me, grabbing some dead guy's ankle, trying to pretend to know what I'm doing... <_< )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Regarding accents... to me, accents are like icing on the cake, and I stink at em... BUT I think, in my humble opinion, that they are something to put on the back burner until a body feels comfortable just interacting with the crowd first. I can't remember ever having a spectator comment that my accent was off... now speech, slang, grammar etc... that is more important than the accent and yet tis something none of us would expect anyone to be perfect in any time soon... tis almost like learning a foreign language. Even the experts at places like Williamsburg don't have it down pat when teaching their foundation members how to speak.

To keep you busy if you like, try reading some period stories from the time frame, such as Moll Flanders, to see some of the slang and sentence structure ... learn some common words and start sprinkling your daily language with them... Aye, tis something others may look at ye fer.. but helps it does....

Again this is just my two cents, it is NOT required from any one...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Well Silkie...

This is a wonderful idea. Cards, dice, bones and other games of the time will and should be interesting to show the 'visitors'

Also, we could have a 'simulated cat-fight' or two. Hmmm, I wonder what and whom I can fight with and for what reason?

Hmmm? Did I hear talk of a chick fight? Cheating at dice? Nicked watch?

<_<

I know of at least 3 (4? Silkie, you in?) people that could handle that ~ speaking of which, we must get Scarlett Rai in here... I spoke with her last year along such lines, and she was quite interested.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Hmmm? Did I hear talk of a chick fight? Cheating at dice? Nicked watch?

<_<

I know of at least 3 (4? Silkie, you in?) people that could handle that ~ speaking of which, we must get Scarlett Rai in here... I spoke with her last year along such lines, and she was quite interested.

The more the merrier, MadMary/Silkie/ Scarlett Jai

I am sure that we can all dream up ideas (email everyone off line) and get things down as far 'down-time' skits are concerned.

I would love to see some of them...email me off line!

Member of "The Forsaken"

I find myself using period and nautical terms in my daily language all of the time. Even my wife uses 'Aye' in place of 'yes'.

A friend of mine once pointed out that most 'pirates' today insist on using a bad cockney accent, when any world accent will do, and he hates it. For that very reason he avoids all things pirate, and to a degree, he has a point. Too many of us seem to gravitate to that West London meets Grounds Keeper Willy voice that makes some people laugh secretly behind our backs. Ever since then, I've completely avoided any British Isles born accent as a rule and decided to maintain my everyday Colonial-Mixed-Breed-American-Hodge-Podge accent. Easy. Comfortable. Genuine.

Although I do say bugger with all of the English emphasis needed to really sell it.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Silkie, you in?

In my ordinary? I should think I would not be in! I shall be the end of said fight! Now, as to a cat fight outside of the confines of "my" place. Perhaps inside of the fort ...that I would gladly be such a diversion!

And you will share your lovely voice with us, will you not?

Perhaps a period sing-along during the day?

Aye, a sing along. Words provided. Perhaps a musician or two throughout the day just playing background music.

Also we could have a "cooking demo" if the cooks are up to it ...maybe nnot so much a demo but ...well you get the idea.

Many many possibilities ...honestly ...another thread is coming for this.

Wasn't there a person or two that were discussing bringing instruments and trying to learn some period tunes for last year's PiP? I seem to recall a thread on that....

Did that materialize, or did the person(s) wind up running out of time?

I certainly can't carry a tune to save my life, but I would love it if there was anyone who was coming that would be interested in taking that on... <_<

Michael_banner.jpg

Hows your project schedule looking for this year Amanjiria?

I don't want to twist your arm, but if you have less to do this year, you would be my hero if you did that. <_<

If you have other projects that you are focusing on don't worry about it though... I just know there is no way I can learn to play an instrument well enough in time, if at all within this lifetime... ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

We have tracked down a number of pc songs, the dilemma is finding the sheet music to go with it... but you know what Jack, since Abington can play by ear, as well as by sight, maybe Mr. Normal could take on the task of putting it down on paper for the others?

Crewe of the Archangel

Crewe of the Archangel

Aye, a sing along. Words provided. Perhaps a musician or two throughout the day just playing background music.

Also we could have a "cooking demo" if the cooks are up to it ...maybe nnot so much a demo but ...well you get the idea.

Many many possibilities ...honestly...another thread is coming for this.

Wonderful ideas to both you and MadMary!

I would love to learn some of the period songs. Perhaps we can speak of such things at Blackbeard. I am interested in learning the 'bottom' half of your songs for accompanying you.

Now, be gentle Silkie for it has been years since I've shared me voice with those around me. I use to be First Soprano years ago, but now I think my range be Second Alto.

Any help would be wonderful!

Member of "The Forsaken"

Oh yes, the singing...that's the best part of the pub. (And the mead. That was good too.) I missed Silkie's song in the pub. B) I heard great things, though...

As for Amanjira...you slacker. If you'd just put a little time in on some PiP projects, it'd really make a difference.

B)B)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Music of the time period.

While looking into the Dance of the GAoP and looking for the dance instructions, I found this link that shows sheet music of the time period.

Dance Music Index

Please click on Source Index Search (Dance Master 1686 Edition)

and a list of songs and dance steps will show up.

Member of "The Forsaken"

I have a link to a similar web site that is focussed on dance, that conveniently has sheet music as well. Below is the link, much of it is 15th and 16th century, but most of the "English Country" Dancing music list towards the bottom of the linked page is from the 17th century. The page includes the sheet music in two different formats (I strongly suggest using the PDF versions), and the first link is to midi files to give you a sample of how they should sound.

Sheet Music for early music

Michael_banner.jpg

Learning with sheet music is fine but there would not have been sheet music for most of the shanties and folk songs of the period. All was by ear. That is why there are so many different versions of the same tunes and differing versions of the lyrics. That having been said there should be no sheet music in sight when there are tourists around.

Also, be sure of the time the song was used. Songs about whaling are not appropriate when tourist's are present. I love the tune "The Bonnie Ship the Diamond" but it is not PC and not to be sung when there are tourists about.

Hmmm ...sounds like I am the authenticity police ...I'm not but I stay in their camp. ;)

Learning with sheet music is fine but there would not have been sheet music for most of the shanties and folk songs of the period.  All was by ear.  That is why there are so many different versions of the same tunes and differing versions of the lyrics.  That having been said there should be no sheet music in sight when there are tourists around. 

That was one of the neat things I remember about going to the parade on the bus. They started singing some absurd Christmas song and different people would pick up the verses and (it seemed to me at the time) make up something that fit. They did that with "Drunken Sailor" too. It was sort of neat. Bilgmunky recorded some of that while we were standing on the bus...I wonder what he did with it?

That reminds me of something else...I was watching It Happened One Night recently, much of which takes place on a bus. A group of military guys in the back of the bus...I think they were sailors, but I'm not 100% sure...were singing songs, also taking turns at the verses. Ah, the things that happened before TV and computer became the passive entertainment venues of choice... As I said, really neat.