Period Shoes

blackjohn

Me and old man need some buckled black leather shoes for an upcoming feast being thrown at a historical inn on the 16th of January. Which leaves only a week to get them. Are they on the market yet? You guys have any buckled leather shoes for sale?

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oi! Has anyone heard anything about the shoes Reconstructing History is offering? Honestly, I had no idea they even had 17th/18th century shoes until today, as I hadn't been to their site in a loooong time (incidentally, where has Kass disappeared to anyhow?).

I really like the shape of the shoes - much less blocky and square than the Loyalist ones. I might be interested in getting a pair, but as always, I'm nervous about getting shoes that I haven't heard any reviews of yet.

Here's the link:

http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/late-17th-century-soldiers-shoes.php?s=&c=208&q=1&p=694&w=21

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Oi! Has anyone heard anything about the shoes Reconstructing History is offering? Honestly, I had no idea they even had 17th/18th century shoes until today, as I hadn't been to their site in a loooong time (incidentally, where has Kass disappeared to anyhow?).

I really like the shape of the shoes - much less blocky and square than the Loyalist ones. I might be interested in getting a pair, but as always, I'm nervous about getting shoes that I haven't heard any reviews of yet.

Here's the link:

http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/late-17th-century-soldiers-shoes.php?s=&c=208&q=1&p=694&w=21

Kass has not been very active here is coming on a couple of years now... However, I had the opportunity to visit their new store location last week. I did ask about the shoes, as I knew the question would come up... But they are currently sold out, so I could not see them. They are in the process of putting together a new order which I think they hope to have in by March (don't quote me on that, best to call her to double check). If the shoes are as someone suggested, the same as the ones Ivan Henry got from the UK, they are good shoes from what I have seen and heard.

Maybe someone(s) here are responsible for helping the shoes sell out during the X-mas season and can give a better first hand account of the shoes. Hope my limited knowledge has been somewhat helpful.

Michael_banner.jpg

For temporary traction that serves well and is easily removed, duct tape is sold in a medium brown color. This is what I use when navigating slick terrain indoors. A patch under the heel and the ball of the foot is all that is necessary, and the medium brown color is practically invisible when "kicking-back" where the sole may be visible to others. Hope this simple trick is some benefit to you all.

R. Noland

He who is content, has everything.

I have one question about the Reconstructing History shoes. Do they run small, large or right on the money?

Aye Red Wake, that was my primary question as well.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Commodore Greyhound; for Loyalist Arms' shoes, they are custom made to order and not 'off the shelf', so ye be guaranteed a good fit; however, ye must order then wait...'n wait....'n wait some more, about 4 t' 6 month if ye lucky. But th' wait be well worth th' wait.

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I wrote to Loyalist Arms about their shoes. They say they wait til they have enough orders and then send them off to their european cobbler. I am ready to order some - shoes and boots. Maybe if enough of us get together, the cobbler order could go out soon

Browsing through again, (hey, I got my homework done so cut me some slack huh) found this on another site. i think It's the same place reconstructing history orders from but not sure.

http://frontierfolk.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35671

Thought the price was reasonable enough for those of you looking for shoes on a tight-end budget.

Off to bed, incase they don't cancel school tomorrow. (but with 6-8 inches of snow on top ofthe thin layer of ice we got today....)

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bump in case anyone has more info on the Reconstructing History shoes...

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Just a bump in case anyone has more info on the Reconstructing History shoes...

I emailed them about three weeks ago...and I don't know if it's just me but.....I feel when somebody won't take the time to respond to my inquiries to purchase product....I will go to someone eager to do business.....Just the way I am......Anyway....I just ordered a pair of shoes from gggodwin.com today. He is out of most style but he has the American civilian shoes comin' out his ears, he says.....They're square towed, rough side out and run large. Here's the good part 94.50 pr. in stock, usually ships next day.

This is the third pair I've ordered from them. I'm just finally retiring the first pair that have served me well since 1981. they cost 75.00 pr back then. They're not as stout lookin as Loyalist Arms Shoes, which I will order later, but I needed to re-shoe quickly. I've never had any problems with his shoes or service. gggodwin carries period correct merchandise at decent prices, not the cheapest, but not the most expensive.

Bye the Bye the ones Reconstructing History carries sure look like the ones on frontierfolk and if you buy them 5 at a time they're 75.00 pr. very low heel but that's fixable.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

Just took me a peek at the Godwin shoes, but now I be all conflicted! What should I get...the all-purpose or the 17th century?

That be a quandry, ta be sure....But the way I sees it....posession be 9 points of the larr.....I believe the all purpose is all they have in abundance.....But things coulda changed in the last week.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

I'm very interested to know what their early 18th Century Civilian Shoe looks like. They don't seem to have pictures on their website. If they're good looking, I may just go with those. I''ve always heard good things about Godwin.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 8 months later...

Cyn and I traveled out to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire and ran across "Magic" Miller who hand-makes boots out of his Texas lair. For just a bit over $300 I picked up some deer-skin pirate boots that may be the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. They are incredible.

Buying from Magic isn't just a purchase, it's an adventure. He spent the better part of a half hour showing us the ins and outs of good bootmaking (while flirting with Cyn). It was a great experience and I can't tell you enough how fine the workmanship is on the boots and how great they look and feel.

www.regalboots.com

TheBlackFox is right, He's a great guy and one of my best friends from Faire. He will take care of you and make sure you get EXACTLY what you need. He's actually in the process of making me a pair of custom bucket boots right now.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

Cobb Creek has verticle stockings as well, 12.00 a pair over the knee.

also i have a pair of black smoothe out old style small sguare buckle, sguare toe, these are my favorite buckle shoes i own worth the price and very period for GAOP. i also have gg goodwins germanic buckle shoes -i recommend not to buy these, i have had many problems with these shoes, the soles unglued the first pair while walking the first time in them, returned them they gave me another and the tongue leather is very thin, so when ya walk it flaps, not happy with these at all.

next i have Fugawee (Concord rough out) in black with a pewter buckle,very comfortale but they seem to look more colonial 1770's , nothing to say bad about the shoes, i also have there colonial boots are also comfortable but dont wear them that much, more for a colonial period as well, they are basically riding boots.

I have a pair of CA boots (Champion Attitude) all custom bucket boot, these are comfortable if you enjoy boots, i have Flat Feet so anything i wear after a few hours, hurts my feet. i paid well over $400.00 for these boots -just dont wear them enough.

I liked the Loyalist buckle shoes so much i ordered another pair in brown. All the statements about waiting for yer buckle shoes is TRUE. I waited almost 9 months for my first pair, and i am still waiting for my second pair ordered in may 2011.

i have rope sandles also very comfortable, i belive i paid 25.00 for the pair.

Arrow lace up Moccasins- very their web site-i have owned these voyager moc for over 25 yrs and they have lasted through everything, these are great and loyal boots. I own several pairs of there mocs/shoe boots w/rings on side, to tighten down, i recommend ARROW MOCASSINS for custom leather mocs.

see my facebook page for examples and pictures of my shoes/boots in my photo album. my e-mail is piratetrader@charter.net, look for corey lefkowitz

good luck!

I would just like to put this out there: CA Boots is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with, and I will slander their name anywhere I possibly can. Terrible customer service, astronomically high prices for quality which has greatly declined over the last several years, and ZERO accountability for their own mistakes (which are exceedingly frequent, and severe). Buyer beware.

-Captain Jack Sparrow

well capt, i think alot of business today is like this, i have seen it alot. i have to agree with you on their customer service at CA boots, it can be a hassel, i to had a hassle but they came through the second time around, and took care of my situation the way i needed them to. their prices are high, but quality boots are hard to find, if ya wants better boots (top of the Line0 the price can be $ 1600.00 up to $ 3000.00. so a far cry to pay $ 400.00 considering they are custom to your foot pattern. But not to many Traders/Sutlers any more show accountability, and get the orders correct the first time around, mate.

Be that as it may, Priscilla at CA Boots is also one of the rudest, least attentive, and least caring individuals I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. The attitude of the company is the biggest problem. That being an attitude of "We're always right, and you don't know what you're talking about, so there's no need for us to try to appease you as a customer." I never once received an apology for the abysmal experience I had with this company.

Sadly, yes, a lot of merchants out there seem to have this same mentality, but I have never dealt with one I so wholeheartedly despised than this particular company. In my personal experience, at any rate.

Edited by Captain McCool

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Be that as it may, Priscilla at CA Boots is also one of the rudest, least attentive, and least caring individuals I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. The attitude of the company is the biggest problem. That being an attitude of "We're always right, and you don't know what you're talking about, so there's no need for us to try to appease you as a customer." I never once received an apology for the abysmal experience I had with this company.

Sadly, yes, a lot of merchants out there seem to have this same mentality, but I have never dealt with one I so wholeheartedly despised than this particular company. In my personal experience, at any rate.

A lot of companies need to learn this lesson. A satisfied customer will tell their close friends, but an unsatisfied customer will tell the whole world !!

A lot of companies need to learn this lesson. A satisfied customer will tell their close friends, but an unsatisfied customer will tell the whole world !!

They may be trying to redeem themselves. When I ordered my pair of Sparrow Customs, they answered my questions courteously. They took forever with my order though. The boots themselves were a tad big. They seemed more like 9 1/2 than the 9 I ordered. I also have a pair of Fugawee shoes from St. Augustine Textiles.

smythesig-2.jpg

Yeah, they have some quite serious sizing issues as well. I know this from personal experience as well as testimonials from others.

At any rate, I didn't mean to turn this into a CABoot bashing thread. It's supposed to be about period footwear anyway, and frankly they don't make any.

The other thread about the Reconstructing History shoes makes me think they look really promising. Very nice shape and overall feel, IMO. As soon as I can scrape together the doubloons I think I'm getting myself a pair.

Edited by Captain McCool

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I have many shoes and boots from alot of sutlers/traders, there are pros and cons to each, like anything. i have dealt with all the same issues with these companies, I feel its all how ya treat people and how they treat you.ya have to treat people with Honey not Vinegar. Ca Boots has issues, but reality is we can only re create history by the artifacts we see in museums/ledgers/manuscripts/paintings and arch digs. so by saying they arent period isnt really a true statement. For the price these are pretty good copies, i agree they could be better -the soles arent period. but the style and leather work is top knotch. yes they can be better, but cant we all?

i have 2 pairs of Loyalist Early style #2 buckle shoes, which are probably the most "period" shoes i own, stiff leather they be. but close for GAOP buckle shoes.i own a pair of black smooth , and a pair of brown in the rough. cant say anything bad about these shoes or Blair at Loyalist Arms, other than 5/6 months is a really long time to wait, but worth it.

I also have a pair of buckle shoes from Fugawee, these are the most comfortable buckle shoes i own but are more late colonial (rev war circa). also i have thier colonial riding boots, also comfortable but the cuffs fall down. Fugawee are easy to deal with and they have fast shipping. there stockings work great they have lycra in them which help stay up - but arent exactly period stockings depending how period one wants to be.

I have a pair of the Hessian buckle shoes from GG Gedney , these are the worst shoes i have. the first pair i recieved the soles came apart-they were glued on -not even sewed or nailed in. they corrected this problem. the tongue leather is Flimzzy and flaps when ya walk. the buckles are very huge like peter pan. i dont recommend their shoes, but thier other products seem to be good.

If you prefer Moccasins-i have Arrow moccassins -several pairs which have outlasted any modern shoes -i have had, these for over 20 yrs old and they still holding up. I own their voyager lace up boot and the ring boot. excellent quality! very comfortable boot.

i havent heard anything negative about reconstructing history shoes, i may order a pair for comparisson.