Period Shoes

blackjohn

<_< but...but...I taught them puppies t' 'Sit', 'n t' 'Stay', 'n t' 'Heel' when we go on walks even...so far they do all three o' them tricks really really well....now if I can just teach them t' fetch me slippers 'n th' paper then I'd say they be Well Trained indeed!!!

....hmmm, reminds me o' that bloke what had a pup he would take t' th' beach 'n teach 'em t' 'Fetch'..... <_<

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

michael, check with mary diamond as to what she did with her shoes to make them less slick.... unfortunately, all i remember is that she took them to a shoe repair guy and had something done to the soles, or the heel, or both ??

she said that fixed the slick problem...

:(

Silas ~

I am Sorry to correct you ~ the shoes I took to the cobbler were the costume shoes I sell, to which he replaced the old worn out soles and heels with new (and which are wearing fantastically ~ a very good investment, indeed). I did take in my Loyalist shoes, but that was only for a bit of a stretch to accomodate a pinched toe and arch.

Blackjohn ~ You are not alone. I tiptoe around on our bamboo floors when I wear my Loyalists with their nails, for fear of scratching the floors.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Blackjohn ~ You are not alone. I tiptoe around on our bamboo floors when I wear my Loyalists with their nails, for fear of scratching the floors.

Belay Such Bilge! :(

I walk across our linoleum floor (aye, I can even say linoleum, not just spell it!) with pride, for when I am on deck th' whole crew will know t' toe th' line ('n batten down that do-hicky, 'er whatever)! Even as I come down th' dirt trail in th' canyon I notice passer-bys glance down as they can hear th' difference in sound from a well clad gent t' a mere commoner they can! Leather souls 'n wood heels command Respect! (gee, perhaps someone should have told Capt'n Dangerfield...)

<_<

Belay Such Bilge! :(

I walk across our linoleum floor (aye, I can even say linoleum, not just spell it!) with pride, for when I am on deck th' whole crew will know t' toe th' line ('n batten down that do-hicky, 'er whatever)! Even as I come down th' dirt trail in th' canyon I notice passer-bys glance down as they can hear th' difference in sound from a well clad gent t' a mere commoner they can! Leather souls 'n wood heels command Respect! (gee, perhaps someone should have told Capt'n Dangerfield...)

:P

LOL ~ Aye, tell me that after you personally lay 4 rooms, 3 closets, 2 sets of stairs and a hallway in solid bamboo ~ with many of the pieces custom cut and re-grooved or re-tongued (routed) for pattern change. <_<:P

Gives you a lot more respect for it when you set it down with your own blood, sweat and tears. :P I Love my Loyalist's ~ just not on my new(ish) floor.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

LOL ~ Aye, tell me that after you personally lay 4 rooms, 3 closets, 2 sets of stairs and a hallway in solid bamboo ~ with many of the pieces custom cut and re-grooved or re-tongued (routed) for pattern change. :(<_<

You have bamboo floors?!?!? How cool is that!!!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

LOL ~ Aye, tell me that after you personally lay 4 rooms, 3 closets, 2 sets of stairs and a hallway in solid bamboo ~ with many of the pieces custom cut and re-grooved or re-tongued (routed) for pattern change. <_<:o

Gives you a lot more respect for it when you set it down with your own blood, sweat and tears. :P I Love my Loyalist's ~ just not on my new(ish) floor.

:P Now, Now me dear Mary Diamond! A gentleman pirate do naught discuss he's sex life in public. :(

Just 'where' I bed me tarts be naught open fer PUBlic discussion!

:P

....however, that re-tongued maneuver ye speaks of... for a "for pattern change" ye says?? Interesting indeed :P

Edited by MadL

<_<<_< Oh my!

Yes, Blackjohn ~ absolutely love them. Bamboo is among the hardest for wood floors, but still scratches up with the best of them. I was looking at soapstone countertops, and just saw they are now offering bamboo countertops as well ~

Now, my apologies for the hijack ~ back to the original Period Shoes discussions.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

(has a mental image of Mary Diamond and Mr. Mary Diamond fighting kungfu style throughout the house ala Inspector Clouseau and Kato... cool!)

<_<<_<

My apologies too... we now return you to your regularly scheduled program, "Men Who Love Expensive Shoes."

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

My apologies too... we now return you to your regularly scheduled program, "Men Who Love Expensive Shoes."

'n unusual places t' bed their strumpets :P

• 2 months later...

Whada matter 1stMate, stub yer toe? Perhaps ye need a pair o' new shoes? B)

Well, me first out with me new, 'new' shoes be th' Swallow's Day Parade, they made it th' whole walk through then after th' parade we walk'd all about town, I then wore them all th' way home (about an hour's drive) 'n still me feet where not sore nor did they suffer any bruises or blisters! I did however coat th' bottoms with Shoe Goo as I knew th' parade route would be city street and re-soul'n them would be EXPENSIVE; th' Shoe Goo did as it should and held up well!

Since then I have worn them t' all three benefits for Mallory & McCall, wear'n them all night with never a regret nor complaint; I have worn them not one but Two trips t' Escondido Ren Faire, each with more then a fair day's walk'n, as well as t' LORE and back again t' Corona for Cutthroats faire...never once did I concern me self with any need t' remove them as they are as comfortable as an ol' pair o' sneakers they be!

However, th' Shoe Goo now be peel'n off th' bottom front o' th' leather soul, but with a shiny un-touched soul beneath; no tearing, no gouging, just as new as th' day I put them on. Guess it be time t' re-coat them - th' wooden heels however are still coated fine.

I will say however, after walk'n through some playground sand at Escondido I can assure ye that pirates did NOT wear such a shoe when com'n ashore fer battle - they Fill With Sand Within Just A Few Steps, after several steps through loose sand they Must be taken off and dump'd out! Not t' mention me test run'n through a rocky river canyon bottom and find'n that they do NOT traverse well over stone either (and I am well train'd at traversing that canyon since a wee lad - barefoot, sneaker foot, as well as sandal; but never slipped th' way these leather bottom shoes slip)

Today they still hold fast, th' stitching be solid as a rock, th' souls are hold'n fast t' shoe, th' wooden heels have not broken nor crack'd. I use a shoe brush when I get home as after a full day at faire the black turns brown with filth, but they clean up nice. Mine be rough out so they still hold a little brownish from each faire, but hey, I call that me Souvenir!

Now I did notice I have one buckle who's tongue has bent under pressure (when I say I walk faire I mean I "WALK" faire, non-stop from open t' close) but luckily I have a spare so when it become useless I can replace it.

• 1 year later...

So while I was ordering some supplies from Reconstructing History (I haven't ordered from there in quite a while)... But anyways, I noticed their web site has undergone a pretty big revamp, so I thought I would check it all out. And while poking around, I found that they are now selling a shoe that is for the 1680s through 1720s period. They look similar to the Loyalist Arms shoes, but with a slightly lower heel, and the toe seems a little less squared (still square, but not as squared as the Loyalists). Lastly, they only come in black (although rough out or smooth out black).

Anyways, I have not seen these shoes shoes, nor do I know anyone who has them, I just thought I would post the link so those who are in the market have another choice to consider.

Reconstructing History shoes

Michael_banner.jpg

not sure if its just me, but the website doesnt seen to be presently working........and id really like to check this out!...i have a feeling i know where the shoes are from.......

I'm not getting through right now, but it was working earlier. Interesting...

yes i have! lol yeah...those legs need some stockings.....or do they already have them......lol....indeed, i know those shoes, they are from a european company called McFarthingbowls. The only person in the states who i know has them is our very own Ivan Henry/ mooseworth(the gun merchant)...as far as i last heard, he was quite happy with them.........i though they offered them in natural or brown at one time....id for sure get them then! Does anyone know the maker of the other shoes on the site? and if they are any good...$70 for a back up pair of shoes isnt bad at all......

Edited by Bos'n Cross

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

yes i have! lol yeah...those legs need some stockings.....or do they already have them......lol....indeed, i know those shoes, they are from a european company called McFarthingbowls. The only person in the states who i know has them is our very own Ivan Henry/ mooseworth(the gun merchant)...as far as i last heard, he was quite happy with them.........i though they offered them in natural or brown at one time....id for sure get them then! Does anyone know the maker of the other shoes on the site? and if they are any good...$70 for a back up pair of shoes isnt bad at all......

Definitely a bit cheaper than Burnley and Trowbridge, but RH doesn't carry small enough sizes for me. Tempting, though.

• 3 weeks later...

[te name=Matusalem' timestamp='1219170089' post='322448]

Finally recieved mine, just like Hurricane's...smooth side out. The fit is a little tight. I am fairly skinny but I have very wide Fred Flintstone feet.

Good quality drum-dyed full grain leather, though I can see the edges of the pieces are rolled instead of raw. Leather lin'd, also. The soles are all leather. it appears that they must have been soaked in water at some point, for whatever purpose, because the patina from the copper nails has oozed onto the soles. Whatever the case it, looks damn cool! the dot in the middle of the heel is wood. I do not believe that these are true straight-lasted because the last itself appears to be curved slightly right or left.

PSHOE2.jpg

PSHOE1.jpg

PSHOE3.jpg

where did ya get the shoes from

The secret is Shoe Stretch. It's a little spray bottle that you can get at Wal-Mart. Spray it inside, wear until it dries and leather shoes form fit to you. Love that stuff. I had to wet, wear and repeat three times before they were perfect. An old girlfriend taught me about the magic of Shoe Stretch, in finer and less fine shoe departments everywhere.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

enjoy them mate, that shoe hasnt let me down yet! only advice i can give is that you may want to get a rubber heel put on them, itll do wonders in keeping you from sliding around, and making steps a bit more comfortable!

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

[te name=Matusalem' timestamp='1219170089' post='322448]

Finally recieved mine, just like Hurricane's...smooth side out. The fit is a little tight. I am fairly skinny but I have very wide Fred Flintstone feet.

Good quality drum-dyed full grain leather, though I can see the edges of the pieces are rolled instead of raw. Leather lin'd, also. The soles are all leather. it appears that they must have been soaked in water at some point, for whatever purpose, because the patina from the copper nails has oozed onto the soles. Whatever the case it, looks damn cool! the dot in the middle of the heel is wood. I do not believe that these are true straight-lasted because the last itself appears to be curved slightly right or left.

PSHOE2.jpg

PSHOE1.jpg

PSHOE3.jpg

Must get these shoes!!! Where from??

Hey Beowoulf, these are from Loyalist Arms in Eastern Canada.... A convenient link to the page, about a third of the way down. I would strongly recommend going back and reading most if not all of this topic before buying them, as many have had mixed experiences with these shoes. Personally, I own two pairs, and love them both... Others have not had as much luck. So read a lot, and make an informed decision. There are other options mentioned during the thread you may want to consider as well.

Michael_banner.jpg

Hey Beowoulf, these are from Loyalist Arms in Eastern Canada.... A convenient link to the page, about a third of the way down. I would strongly recommend going back and reading most if not all of this topic before buying them, as many have had mixed experiences with these shoes. Personally, I own two pairs, and love them both... Others have not had as much luck. So read a lot, and make an informed decision. There are other options mentioned during the thread you may want to consider as well.

ask Micheal how MINE fit...i wouldnt know...he pirated em afore me.

they take awhile to get in....i ordered 2 pair at the same time...old style smooth brown....and Newer Smooth Black....got the first brown in 5 monthes....nver got the second pair(somehow Micheal ended up wit em)...and they made it right by sending me the Second Pair(at a discount) 12 monthes from ordered date.....

but i like em both....definately measure twice(or 5 times) with a thick pair of hose..loose better than tight on theses bad boys

was thinkin about their Bucket Boots(for another impression) by the same maker...anyone ever get em?

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Two years now and still going strong! I really love these Whydah shoes, best fit shoes I ever had actually. I broke one buckle but luckily had a spare.

I do cheat however, do to all the pavement we walk on in these modern days I have coated the bottoms with shoe goo, figure it be much more cheaper then getting these 're-souled', I have recoated them three times now and they have lasted for at LEAST three dozen events with Plenty o' walk'n! ^_^