Period Shoes

blackjohn

They Have Arrived!!!

'n This time they fit too!!

With just a wee bit o' help from a shoe horn me feet fit in both shoes like a well fit pair o' dress shoes, No More SQUEEZING o' me balls, No More HUGE Hump under be left arch, I have had them on for two hours now and NO PAIN!!

They fit so comfortable I wonder about stretch, might they stretch 'n become too loose for a pair o' silken socks...no matter for I Ain't Got A Pair! :(

Now I just need t' fit them buckles without screw'n it up! :P

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too had sizing issues with my first pair. Not to mention my very first pair were ruined before I even had them.

(They caught a case of mold on the trip over. Not LA's fault at all.) Loyalist has been most gracious in

helping me out. They are determined to get me a fitting pair of shoes.

I can not stress enough how much they are willing to help. They have to be losing money on this deal

but yet they still are working with me to get my shoes right.

Now that I have stretched them, they fit like a dream. And the stretching isn't any sort of effort at all. I just store them with a wooden shoe tree in them (and some craft popsicle sticks in the tightest spots) and the are just fine when I need to wear them.

Edited by Bloody Jack Madd

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Well th' beach be too far a drive this weekend 'n there be no faire either but as this weekend be sit'n in th' 70s I think I will take a hike in me local canyon, plenty o' sand 'n rock there t' get them broke in....I might also find me a rattler - I so miss me a good snake hunt!

• 2 weeks later...

I got me eye on them musketeer boots as well but will have t' wait a while, perhaps a long while, now that me cor-pirate has let me go...gotta replace me regular pay before I can get anything more. :P

But I did ask them and they say th' boots are made by th' same cobbler as th' shoes.

I finally got t' take me shoes out this weekend, took a four hour hike through me local canyon 'n up a mountain side. They hold up VERY WELL 'n even after that trek over rock 'n sand show very little wear! I did get a blister on th' back o' me right foot 'n there was a bit o' squeezing on me right pinky toe so I think a treatment o' leather stretch may be in order, th' left one fit like a dream.

I would say however that me CABoots would have been more comfortable for such a trek but th' shoes were impressive, on hills the all leather sole is slick but learn'n t' bear back on th' heel remedies that, as well as th' aid o' hike'n stick. Still need t' see how they perform on wet ocean side rock however, 'n a ship's deck would be th' real test.

Has anyone heard o' using Carpet Cement on th' bottom o' leather soles t' aid in traction? I know it naught be PC but I read someone did it in a Ren forum, said it drove th' PC Nazis mad when they found out but said it really work'd 'n could hardly be detected less'n ye put yer foot up.

I have to agree with Blackjohn. Eventually, this becomes an issue between the individual customer and the company. Airing disappoints or pleasure here isn't really fixing any of the issues some people are having with the shoes.

Like most things in life you either like what a merchant does or you shop elsewhere. If you don't like Walmart you shop Kmart or Target. It's the same here.

Sorry for the problems some people are having but I have to say I doubt seriously there's anything else to be gained here by going around in circles...

If you don't like the service or the product, take it up with the company directly. Otherwise it just turns into a pissing match that gets nowhere.

My two pence.

-- Hurricane

Wal mart has period correct buckle shoes?? Sweet!

There aren't a ton of people making this shoe, so yes, it is important to discuss pros and cons here, because you can't buy THIS shoe from anywhere other than Loyalist.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Wal mart has period correct buckle shoes?? Sweet!

Aye, but they have gathered a might bit o' dust since 1710 so ye may wish t' take along a shovel in order t' get at it! :blink:

Well, me second trip t' th' canyon tore open th' blister on th' back o' me heel so I will not be breaking them in much till that heals, but this is actually common for me with any good pair o' dress shoes as me feet be very hard t' fit with one nearly a full size different then th' other.

Over all, now that they have replaced them with a proper fitting pair, I find them Very sturdy built and obviously built t' last. With th' treks I have now made over me old romping grounds o' rock, sand, dirt, mountain side deer trails, they still look New....damnit! Th' stitching is solid and th' leather appear t' be well chosen and thick. Once fully broken in, like any good pair o' dress shoes, I feel these will last many a season...hopefully throughout th' rest o' adventures with th' price paid!

I still want t' look into that 'carpet cement' idea for adding traction t' th' soul, or perhaps what moccasin makers call "Goop" or "Soul In A Jar" for as I understand that can be re-applied as it wears off. Might be a wise idea where wet ground or ship decks be involved:

Goop - Soul In A Jar

(I kept me own soul in a jar....I thinks perhaps I should have put air holes for it do naught move anymore :blink: )

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for those still think' about these shoes from Loyalists; I have now put aprox 4 miles over rock and sandy canyon terrain (it be about 1.5 mile from th' nature center to th' bridge at Eaton Canyon), and today after getting back from an escapade t' secure me some bamboo for a needle case I can say with certainty that these shoes will hold up fine. As I said, I have now trekked a good 4 mile total through some rugged terrain, up mountain sides plus several evenings just around th' house and they have broken in very well, I didn't even get a blister today!

However, I have come t' th' conclusion that there be NO WAY pirates wore shoes o' this caliber t' run into combat over rocky, especially Wet rocky terrain, these all leather shoes would even be havoc through wet jungle hillsides...they are just too slippery and too may a poor pirate would have fallen and broken leg and neck before reaching their goal. But with a sturdy walking stick and a sure foot they are fine for WALKING over such treacherous terrain - I am talking a very sandy and Very rocky canyon bed, also th' trek up th' dirt hillside was a bit ruff....if I was sneaking up on someone or running from someone, I would have left these shoes well behind Long Ago (or be laying dead with a broken neck).

But, these shoes, other then for fight and flight, are FANTASTIC! Certainly a gentleman's night ashore on Tortuga for rum 'n wench!

So here be some pics after 4 miles and several nights (even a little playing with the dog one raining day on the lawn):

Still holding firm:

IMG_01.jpg

Bottoms showing some were but none th' less still holding solid:

IMG_0256.jpg

A modern style OderEater insole and they still smell fresh as a daisy (th' white powder stuff inside be Thia stone foot powder):

IMG_0257.jpg

And a close up; despite all th' stumbling over rock and kicking through rough sand, only a little silt in th' seam. These dogs are proving a worthy advisory t' make age, haven't even been able t' scuff them yet!!

IMG_0258.jpg

I did put a coat o' me secret Pine Sap and Bee's Wax on them about a week ago, o'course as they are black there was no 'darkening' in color but I figure it be good for a protective measure see'n as how much they cost and what I went through t' get them :(

Edited by MadL

Mad L, that's the conclusion I came to regarding the leather soles. I wore a pare on the Adventure and wound up going barefoot. I was slipping all over the deck. Guess they would be handy for climbing the ratlins but that's about it. I'm planning on getting a pair of these from Loyalist but I contacted them to see if we could put boat shoe soles on them. It is not period, but it is much safer.

Nice lookin pair of shoes, by the way.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Once I get up some more coin I am looking int' applying a coat o'....something....on th' bottoms. I read in one Ren Faire forum where people where putting "Sticky Carpet Glue" on th' bottoms o' leather soles t' add traction, there is also this stuff from a moccasin maker I think may be better, only he says it only comes in black, not clear. I am also thinking maybe Shoe Goop but that stuff is fairly permanent but would be clear.

I was aboard ship a few time with me leather soul boots, they have rubber heels so I learned t' lean back...a bit awkward at first as I have always been trained t' walk on th' front o' me feet, but once learned they were fine....except for once when I was asked t' "run across th' deck and up them steps then t' back o' th' ship" (iPhone of the Caribbean flic) when I tried t' make th' sharp turn t' hit th' stairs....well, I just about did. Too back they did not get it on film, I slip about two feet, caught th' rail which kept me from fall'n, then heaved away up them steps - woulda made a great action scene!

Out of a series of unlikely circumstances, I have now become the owner of a pair of the Loyalist Arms shoes over this past weekend.

They're pretty comfortable for the most part, but the heels on them are very hard, so after some extended wear, they did start to hurt my heels a bit. I'm pretty sure a cushiony insole will fix that problem perfectly. They are pretty slick on tiled floors as well, I'm hoping once I wear them some more and rough up the soles a bit, that will take care of that problem some, but if not, I'll be following MadL's lead and try to find a way to make them less slippy.

Michael_banner.jpg

Duct-tape now comes in several colors :P ...the white-trash way;"Duct-tape will fix anything!" seriously, that's what I do for long days in hallways. A little piece on the heel, and another under the balls of your feet, get the brown colored and it doesn't show up when you're kicked back enjoying yourself. Plenty of traction too.

Bo

Has anyone tried rubber cement?

That is pretty much what "Soul In A Jar" is (see post above), moccasin makers use it t' put a soul on leather where there is none. Also Shoe Goo is like rubber and I know it wears real good, just not sure if it could be spread 'EVEN' enough t' work...but th' Soul In A Jar goes on with a painter's scaper...but he says it only comes in black.

Still don't know about that 'sticky carpet cement', have not found one who knows just what that thread was speaking about, and now I can not find where I found it......Rum Walkabout!

I'm suddenly reminded of the time I walked across my brand new hardwood floors while wearing hobnailed shoes...

;)

I double-dog dare any of you who are brave and/or skilled enough to pull the nails from the heels and replace them with wooden pegs. Or... add an extra layer to the bottom using wooded pegs.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Wow! I haven't had a problem with them since I broke them in. After PiP roughed the bottoms up, they aren't slippery any longer. Before that I just learned to walk on the balls of the feet rather than the heel. I would imagine the owners or real pairs just did the same. Rubber just seems so modern to me -- can't bear to do it to mine.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Has anyone tried taking a file or a rasp to their leather soles? If so, did it make an appreciable difference?

Nope, both o' them have just sat there all night stick'n their tongues out at it..... ;)