Period Shoes

blackjohn

-- Hurricane

jerk.... :lol:

keep braggin'....an ye might jest git a HOLE where it dont belong....

WHEN i git MINE......i be gittin the NEWR BLACK SMOOTH.....AND ......the OLDR BROWN SMOOTH....

.....damn it man just couldnt make up me mind.....

Well now, that be strange.

Got a second package today. In it were NEWR BLACK SMOOTH.....AND ......the OLDR BROWN SMOOTH.... pairs.

Didn't know who they belonged to, so I puts them up on ebay this morning... :lol:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye Hurricane, so ye be th' mystery seller ey?

Well Ye Just Better Get Me Purchase Here Quickly Now!!! <_<

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

hey ....my wife just saw two pairs on E-Bay....so she bough them for me....a newr black smooth and a oldr brown smooth...only paid about twice what i already paid for mine....and theyre in my size.....

i told her i would drive down to florida tomorrow and pick them up meself......

she is now asking me why i am sharping my swords and loading up my pistols anf blunderbuss......

told her might run into a "Hurricane".......

<_<

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Ya have ta run through a Diosa first... and you how that will turn out... (Snicker)...

She's holding them in her hands right now, laughing her arse off, saying, "Come get'em Dogge."

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Finally recieved mine, just like Hurricane's...smooth side out. The fit is a little tight. I am fairly skinny but I have very wide Fred Flintstone feet.

Good quality drum-dyed full grain leather, though I can see the edges of the pieces are rolled instead of raw. Leather lin'd, also. The soles are all leather. it appears that they must have been soaked in water at some point, for whatever purpose, because the patina from the copper nails has oozed onto the soles. Whatever the case it, looks damn cool! the dot in the middle of the heel is wood. I do not believe that these are true straight-lasted because the last itself appears to be curved slightly right or left.

PSHOE2.jpg

PSHOE1.jpg

PSHOE3.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg

Well two good reports so far... still waiting on ours... again, so happy we paid extra for the shipping.... hmm if I order my pair now...maybe I will see them by Christmas 2010...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I'm pretty much holding out to hear a good report on the two variables that have not been shown yet...

Someone who has ordered the straight lasts (want to make sure they get that correct).

And someone who has ordered the rough out.

As soon as I have seen or heard from a reliable source (pics would be great!) that Loyalist's manufacturer has gotten those two elements correct, and I can scrape together the funds, my order is going in.

Michael_banner.jpg

I think plenty of the Archangel crewe ordered both of those variables - unfortunately, as the Captain has so gleefully pointed out, the extra we paid for expedited shipping seems to have put us at the end of the queue for delivery.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

damn they look good.....i hate you all!!

<_<

where the hell are ours???

hey...wait a minute....!?!?!?!

Donna took all the money for the group order.....including a bit extra for ezpidiated shipping......then she went to china to see the olympics.......

<_<

when did she git her tickets??? before...or ...after we sent her the mony???

<_<

damn i better be gittin a damn good souvineer from china!!!!!

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

While she's in China I hope she stops by the factory and gets us some shoes...

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Loyalist gave me the additional direction I needed on the buckle issue. Once you decide on placement and get the things set right, you can trim the last that has the buckle on it or overlap it and tuck it in the shoe. They made them identical so people had options as far as using other buckles than the ones provided. Since other pairs I want will run me $45 and more, I think I'll make the included ones work fine. They will be side buckles, as designed, according to Loyalist.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

We paid extra to ship them to me in time for Beaufort.... <_<

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Dang, you could have learned to make them yourself in this amount of time. Think they'll refund the express shipping portion to you? I was considering an order myself, but not now. Think I'll stick with what I've got. Those staight last ones that Matusalem showed are crocked if ever I seen crocked shoes. OK if you ordered 'em that way, but bad deal if you ordered straights. Customer service means as much as quality of the delivered item to me and this don't bid well.

Bo

They look nice... and for the price point, can't be beat.

Still, i think it was lame that they copied my buckle and sell it with their shoe...

But what should I expect from pirates..... ?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

.....still bare foot.....

That stinks. Did you get any email confirmation yet?

sure did.. about three of them saying they were going out in about 6-7 days, the first one coming prior to Port Washington....

Hmmm sorry about the buckle GoF... probably not as nice as yours...Thank God I got mine from you...we were under the impression that they went to you for the buckle info.

Crewe of the Archangel

Dang, you could have learned to make them yourself in this amount of time.  Think they'll refund the express shipping portion to you?  I was considering an order myself, but not now.  Think I'll stick with what I've got.  Those staight last ones that Matusalem showed are crocked if ever I seen crocked shoes.  OK if you ordered 'em that way, but bad deal if you ordered straights.  Customer service means as much as quality of the delivered item to me and this don't bid well.

Bo

I have never had bad customer service from Loyalist. They have been patient in answering even the stupidest questions promptly and fixed anything I ever needed. That includes five doglocks from them and now the shoes.

I think the bigger problem is taking prototypes to production. That is always a problem, even for a large business (ask Apple about its MobileMe service). Loyalist isn't a big company and they are trying to expand their wares beyond their core business which has been weapons.

And the shoes are damned nice... I think you would be surprised. I expect they will last me a good 20 years of hard use.

I will caution any others ordering. Let someone else measure you while you have full weight on your feet and measure each day over two or three days. Feet can swell, depending on the amount of hydration. Then average the measure before submitting. And make sure you do both feet the same. They can be very different. If you do this and follow the directions exactly from Loyalist, they will be fine.

Matusalem -- purchase some leather stretch from Walmart in the shoe section. Spray the innards well, then wear them for an hour. The leather stretch will let the show conform to your feet. I use it on my boots in the tropics when the tops get tight - it works wonders in making shoes or boots comfy. I carry a bottle to every event.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Capt Bo

Those staight last ones that Matusalem showed are crocked if ever I seen crocked shoes.

I was under the impression that all shoes were straight lasted. Even civil war brogies are straight as far I know. You are right though about the crookedness. The last it's built on is definitely a "curved" last, but not noticeable at first glance. By profession, I spend time looking at shoe soles so I know what to look for. However no one will notice while I'm wearing them so I decided I'm not going to fight the battle with LA.

Hurricane, thanks for the walmart tip. The leather inside the vamp is actually backed with canvas duck cloth. I just hope the fabric doesn't resist stretching too much.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Metasalem,

All period shoes (as far as the evidence I have seen) are straight lasted...

The Loyalist shoes were made crooked lasted by default, from what I was told by Loyalist you had to specify straight last (did you?) in order to get straight lasted shoes... The worrysome bit, and the part that has made me most reluctant to order is that the web site pointedly states that if you order straight last, they DO NOT guarantee fit. So I was waiting to see if those who ordered straight lasted shoes got shoes that fit or not, and also that they even got straight lasted shoes at all. If they are delivering crooked lasted shoes to people that ordered straight lasts, then that (in my opinion) is a huge problem. If you thought you were getting straight lasts but didn't specify for them in your order that is a different matter altogether.

Michael_banner.jpg

Unless you were of the high society and had some cordwainer build you a set to fit, yes the production shoes should be straight last. Cannot remeber the name of the shoe maker in London that had wood carvings of the gentry's feet from waaaay back right now, but only the elite had shoes that were crocked I believe.

As far as ordering any shoes fro LA, I think this little show says it all for me. Glad you that were able to get yours are happy, but this is not my idea of good service. Add to that the apparent copying of Gregs buckles, well, no buisiness from me.

Bo