The PiP Brag Thread

Misson

I just scored a vintage portable apothecary scale on eBay. (It's a bit after period, but I compared it to period scales and it's close to correct.) I am gonna be soooo ready this year. Yup. I've got my eye on a box scarifier that is period, too... I really, really want to build a medicine chest. I do, I do, I do...

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just scored a vintage portable apothecary scale on eBay. (It's a bit after period, but I compared it to period scales and it's close to correct.) I am gonna be soooo ready this year. Yup. I've got my eye on a box scarifier that is period, too... I really, really want to build a medicine chest. I do, I do, I do...

Oh, pictures... Please!!! :lol:

After all, it's not a good "brag" without the visuals.... :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg

apothecary%20scale.jpg

I also have acquired some cupping jars and an authentic fleam (both for bleeding). I've got my eye on some other items as well. :lol:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

IF I can find it, I have a Victorian era one... I would be happy to give you the additional weights... again.. IF I can find it... so much stuff still packed away from the move...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Good score, mate. Some people, you give 'em a gentle nudge in the right direction and they're off to the races. Next he'll be enrolling in med school...and arguing about the efficacy of modern methods vs. the tried and true methods of old.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Bragging rights for me fall into several categories. I got some fine lace as a gift from Captain Sterling. I am the proud owner of several beautiful hand made fids from Edward O'Keefe. Captain Lasseter gifted a sword to me.

Still, I think I'll brag on the friendships made at the event.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

My feet actually hurt worse than anyone else's and I have more salt water in my clothes, including my hat, than anyone else... :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I have more salt water in my clothes, including my hat, than anyone else... ;)

:o I'll bet. Just in case anyone's forgotten:

drownedrat-1.jpg

(We just can't get enough of that picture now, can we?)

Jim, you will never see me arguing for the methods of olde. The more I read about them, the more horrific they sound. (Who here has heard of a seton? *Shudder*) Still, it makes great fodder for presentations. People love to be horrified, as my haunted house experience has taught.

Mission, it just occured to my while reading your posts, so I suppose you're an inspiration, that having interests is addicting. ha ha!

From past discussions with you, I know that you and I have the same, er, "problem" with things that take our fancy. (I just found another sea surgery manual by an author of whom I wasn't even aware from 1596. now all I have to do is get to my uni library to to copy the pdf. I am currently reading excerpts of William Clowes chirurgy books. He was a sea surgeon who eventually became one of Queen Elizabeth I's surgeons.)

;) I'll bet. Just in case anyone's forgotten:

(We just can't get enough of that picture now, can we?)

Thank you Mission... never gonna let me live that one down...are ye? ;);) Wonder how I will ever out do that next year? I know who will be following me with camera in tow, every time I go near the beach! ;);)

Crewe of the Archangel

Mission, it just occured to my while reading your posts, so I suppose you're an inspiration, that having interests is addicting. ha ha!

From past discussions with you, I know that you and I have the same, er, "problem" with things that take our fancy. (I just found another sea surgery manual by an author of whom I wasn't even aware from 1596. now all I have to do is get to my uni library to to copy the pdf. I am currently reading excerpts of William Clowes chirurgy books. He was a sea surgeon who eventually became one of Queen Elizabeth I's surgeons.)

Right. We don't need drugs, we have hobbies.

• 4 months later...

Ah, the eBay gods have smiled upon the Mercury ship's surgeon this week. Here's the plunder:

Surgical%20Instruments%201.jpg

I confess, I'm not sure about all of these, I was really after the forceps. I believe the middle two instruments were for retrieving things from open wounds (bullets, bits of cloth that went in with the bullet, arrow heads, splinters (which were more a more common source of death during period than bullets). The bottom one looks like it would be used to root around in wounds as well. Pretty cool, huh?

Surgical%20Instruments%202.jpg

Various fancy (suspicously French-looking) trocars. Trocars are great fun to describe - they are basically metal straws with daggers in them. You plunged them into some body cavity that was filled with liquid, removed the dagger part and you had a straw out of while foul bodily fluids drained... :lol:

Surgical%20Instruments%203.jpg

These could be anything from what I'm going to use them for to some sort of machine conductors, but they appear to be the right sort of material for what my intent - cauteries. I am going to blacken the blunt ends. For those of you who don't know, some surgeons during period closed open wounds by cauterizing - basically burning - them. Heat 'em up and apply 'em. Sizzzzle.

Surgical%20Instruments%204.jpg

A nice dental tool - a tooth extractor. Seriously. Think about it... When not in use, could also be a blacksmith tool.

See, being the surgeon is really just an extension of one of my other hobbies - designing haunted house rooms and props.

nice score! top picture middle two look to be spreaders used to separate the chest cavity or other appropriate hole where bone and muscle provide resistance. the bottom one has me- what are the markings on it?

i agree with amanjiria- you're sick. hehehehe i knew i liked you.

Wow....just reading that made me a bit queasy....

I like em!

LOL!

I think the surgeon needs to come up with sound effects for these instruments of tort...er deat...er, I can't find a way to properly describe these without including thoughts of pain and suffering. Anyone? :unsure:

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Mission,

actually, modern surgical instruments still have some of the very same names and some have the same functions as what you have pictured here---

the clamps that curve and have the ability to pierce and hold together we use as towel and draping clamps----{although we use them to pick up peices of fat -- fat is slippery and HARD to get ahold of and away from the field--and let me tell you, fat on the floor is slicker than bananna peels and motor oil mixed together

we still have and use trocars...and sometimes you will hear them called _____scope....{ prefix choices : endo, broncho, hysto,laparo, oto,ocula} we have just made some of them flexible and they call them by latin and greek names that describe where and what they are going to look into .....{ i love them romans and greeks!!}

and we STILL CAUTERIZE -- we just use electrical current to do so-- and the patient must be grounded { lovely gel pads attached to ground lead }-- where as if it were old time, the heated poker works better and needs no grounding... sometimes we laser cauterize--- there are days i hear folks ask where the smell of cooking steak is coming from---- i just can't bear to say "well, quite a bloody surgery is going on right now-- it aint dinner cooking-- it is your family member being cauterized so they dont bleed all over the place!"........... :rolleyes:

ancient medicine practices have always fascinated me and i have read up on them... it amazes me that for so long humans lost what the greeks knew for years and went back to leeches and bleeding....

infact the greeks even knew of diabetes, appendicitis and its treatment, syphilus, pancreatic and liver diseases, and seizures/epilepsy............and their treatments...

anyway--

wayyyyyyyyyyyy cool medical instruments!!!

glad to knowyah snagged a few beauts!

bloody lady constance

• 4 months later...
apothecary%20scale.jpg

I also have acquired some cupping jars and an authentic fleam (both for bleeding). I've got my eye on some other items as well. :blink:

Ah, this and the fleam have been lost for months and I just found them in a box that was sitting in my dining room! (Well, where would you have put them? Probably somewhere more readily apparent then that...this is why they were lost.) So these items will be making their way to PiP for their debut in the pirate re-enacting world. Now, what should I use to hook it up? The holes in the plates are so small I suspect I will have to use black thread...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG