Sword Resources

Cap'n Sage

Alright Brothers and Sisters o' the High Seas,

I know there have been other posts in regard to wear t'get a handy edged weapon. And a good one at that. Of course, in me older age I cannot remember too many o' them.

Can we get a rundown of Sword makers and other outlets? Fer that matter, any other period weapons.

Thank ye kindly and fair winds t'ye all.

The Sage Lion

TheSageLion.com

Thank ye,

Captain Sage

thesagelion.comthesagelion.com

Sword sources are a tough nut to crack. It really depends on what you want it for. Do you want a highly accurate copy of a period sword for display? How about a sword that you can use in "competitive" fencing with other pirate group members? Maybe you need something flashy for your next renfaire?

That really is three different swords (yes, of course there can be some overlap). The other factor is the price range you are comfortable spending on the weapon.

I have not fleshed it out entirely, but there is some information on my sites Sword page. I am in the process of adding more suppliers so bear with me.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Mr Balls gives his classification of the three types of swords at the top of this thread on my forum, here. It might help you understand a little better exactly what you are looking for. I believe it all boils down to what do you plan on using it for, and how much are you willing to spend. Since I don't usually pull a sword on people, more often than not I carry a hunting sword from Godwin. If I was going to buy a new sword for sparring with... well... most people I know go with Armourclass. That being said, Matt's stuff does look very good.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Mr Balls gives his classification of the three types of swords at the top of this thread on my forum, here.

That is about the best simplification I have ever read on the topic... I too often see things boiled down to two categories (show, and combat), and two categories I really don't feel covers the topic well enough...

That said, I am still waiting (and probably will have to wait forever) for North American sword manufacturers to hop onto sword making for the "Spar" classification in the above cited post by Billy Balls. The ONLY maker I know of that is EASILY obtainable here is Paul Chen, which are pretty cheap, and limits ones choices to either the Pratical Viking (a circa 900-1000AD sword), Practical Knightly (a circa 1100-1250AD sowrd), or the Paul Chen Mortuary (circa 1620 to 1650AD), none of which are really "right" for the GAoP.

The Paul Chen mortuary comes close, but I would rather spend more on a better made sword, and even more yet on a sword that is well made AND of the correct period.... Armour Class will do it as a custom thing, but their waiting list and shipping time is too long for my tastes. I'm okay with waiting on a sword, but not if my money isn't in the same country, I've been burnt VERY badly on that account before. As a result, I don't deal international any more unless it is an item that is already to ship, and custom sword makers rightfully always want a deposit.

There is Starfire (I think that is what they are called), but the fact that they do NOT round their points off doesn't sit well with me and my views on safe "Spar"ing... Starfire also don't make a design I feel is any more "correct" than the Paul Chen Mortuary...

So please, if there is a North American sword maker out there looking for a new product line, PLEASE make a GAoP correct sword for "Spar"ing... Or even better a few different designs so we don't wind up with a whole ton of pirates all using the exact same design of sword... :lol:

EDIT - To clarify a statement I made above, I was NOT burnt by Armour Class, nor has anyone I know ever been burnt by them (outside of waiting periods longer than quoted). I also won't name the sword maker in question that did burn me, as I prefer not to stoop to that sort of nonsense.

Michael_banner.jpg

Darkwood Armory has a new Clamshell Cutlass...

He also does custom work although I've don't know how extensive but one can always ask.

Darkwood Armory

Thanks for the tip Capt. Pogue, but Darkwood (as far as i know) only make fencing weapons or sharps. IF they DO make "spar"ing swords, I would be VERY interested.... Their web site is blocked from my work network, and it's been while since I checked their site, maybe it is time a had another gander....

Michael_banner.jpg

Matt at Baltimore Knife does beautiful work. He's a Forum member here. Baltimore Knife

Our website is quite a bit lacking right now, but we do make over 50 different pirate swords. We also loveee to personalize swords for each indivisual. That way everyone gets a one of a kind piece. We also work straight from pictures. Like we always say..."if you can draw it, we can make it"

Feel free to send us a picure of an original and let us work form that.

We specialize in stage combat weaponry, but we do make sharps aswell.

I feel that we have kept our prices lower then most custom/semi custom makers so feel free to email us for a quote.

cheers,

Matt

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

Well, me personal belief is that if y'are gonna wear it, it may as well be functional.

I have plenty o' live steel, but as ye've stated above, the pirate fare is sorely lacking in this area.

I know that Old Dominion has some nice work, as do some others. I was thinking though that perhaps we can put together, with this thread, more of a reference for obtaining each grade that was mentioned: show, spar, fence.

This way, we might be able t'meet the needs of all ranges of income.

Feel free to add any additional comments as ye see fit.

And thank ye all fer the fine information.

I will also be looking fer a boarding ax pretty soon. Any thoughts.

Matt, d'ye do simply the leather wrapped handles or is there more in your repertoire?

Thank ye all again.

The Sage Lion

Thank ye,

Captain Sage

thesagelion.comthesagelion.com

Matt, d'ye do simply the leather wrapped handles or is there more in your repertoire?

The Leather wrap is for our stage combat production line. We have found over the years that it is the best handle for long-term abuse.

That being said, we do just about any kind of handle that you can think of. We do antler, bone and all kinds of wood handles. When we get into handles other then leather it tends to start to get pricey. The leather we use is top-notch expensive stuff but it allows us to make a durable handle, fast. Time is money in the sword business so the less time we have in a piece the lower we can keep our prices and we try to pass on the best price for stage combat weaponry in the business.

We make a 100% guaranteed sword for stage combat and we like to stick to what we do best for that guarantee. For custom work we can work in just about anything.

We also have a full line of axes. If you send us a picture of a custom boarding axe we can make it.

cheers

p.s. don't forget we give group order discounts...big ones !

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I currently make SCA fencing weapons (hilts with hanwei or other manufacturer blades in them) I'm kinda new to the pirate culture thing (looks like it can be a whole lot more fun than the SCA) and I am a CAS/Hanwei full partner dealer. For making a sparring weapon I would be happy to disassemble something like the Practical Motuary sword and re-hilt it in a period appropriate cutlass for use as a sparring weapon (while I have been a knife smith for 24 years, I would hesitiate to do actual contact sparring with a blade of my own manufacture just because of the liability issues that could arise were the blade to break or not absorb enough force)

I work in carbon steel, carbon damascus, wrought iron, (I have started smelting my own), bronze, sterling silver and gold.

I am probably not your cheapest alternative for handmade work, but for inexpensive I do carry the Hanwei, and I'm not afraid to customize around their sparring blades by taking a sword apart and completely re-doing everything except the blade.

After my next couple SCA shows I will probably customize the Hanwei Practical Mortuary sword I picked up for myself into a cutlass circa Blackbeard . I'll put up pics when I'm done

-CapnThorpe

• 1 month later...

Tim Ridge at Swamp Fox Knives made a beautiful little hanger for me. He can't make anything with a particularly long blade (mine is no more than about 24 inches), but his work is very good and you'll never see another sword like it.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants