Cutlass Resource

roytheodd

When I asked for help choosing a sword, I found a whole host of goodly people on this site willing to assist me in my search. I have spent some time combing through old threads here all related to swords. It seems like there are a lot of people asking for and receiving the same help as me, as it relates to swords. With this in mind, in an effort to assist future sword seekers I thought I'd post up a listing of cutlasses that I found that seem appropriate. I can't vouch for any of the swords, their manufacturers, or their retailers as I haven't bought one yet and so have no first hand experience (in other words, buyer beware).

In order from least expensive to most expensive (with a few that I don't know prices for), I give you the cutlass list:

Bladematrix: Buccaneer Cutlass & Scabbard, $60

BladematrixBuccaneerCutlass.jpg

Bladematrix: Pirate Cutlass, $60

DMTNTCutlass.jpg

Bladematrix: Brass Cutlass & Scabbard, $89

BladematrixDenixCutlassBrass.jpg

Bladematrix: Nickel Cutlass & Scabbard

BladematrixDenixCutlassNickel.jpg

Loyalist Arms: Dutch Cutlass & Scabbard, $90

LoyalistArmsDutchCutlass.jpg

Musket.net: 1742 British Infantry Sword & Scabbard, $90

MusketdotNet1742BritishInfantrySwor.jpg

Musket.net: 1751 British Infantry Sword & Scabbard, $90

MusketdotNet1751BritishInfantrySwor.jpg

Bladematrix: Cas Iberia Naval Cutlass without Scabbard, $95

BladematrixCasIberiaNavalCutlass.jpg

1ABCstore.com: French/Pirate Cutlass & Scabbard, $99

1ABCstoreFrench-PirateCutlass.jpg

1ABCstore.com: Pirate Boarding Cutlass & Scabbard, $120

1ABCstorePirateBoardingCutlass.jpg

Superb. Thank ye sir. I have been preparing to grab another cutlass or hanger for the upcoming school year.

I am a teacher/pirate in my classroom. I have plenty of swords, however, I can write them off a lot easier as a pirate teacher.

I use them to teach many things: Venn Diagrams, adjectives usage, creative writing inspiration, but most of all discipline.

This is great. Now, what other lists can we come up with.

Thank ye again.

thesagelion.com B)

Thank ye,

Captain Sage

thesagelion.comthesagelion.com

Perhaps those who have purchased from the various cutlass manufacturers shown can give a review or their opinion of the quality. Since it's my suggestions, I guess I should start.

I purchased the Dutch Clamshell Cutlass a few months ago. I had heard confliciting reports about Windlass and MRL, but I loved the look of the cutlass and I thought it was the most realistic option for ordering weapon I wouldn't have to a ) wait a year and half for; and b ) ship in from overseas.

When I first recieved it, I was pretty impressed. For one, it was half a pound lighter than listed on the MRL website. It was a heavy blade, a little bit longer than I expected, I guess (even though the dimensions were listed) but everything was tightly put together - not loose and shakey as MRL's old reputation suggested.

There were a few issues: the clamshell was rather tight (an observation made by many other reviewers; the leather lining of the clamshell was not very good; and the clamshell and guard are two different components. At first this didn't bother me, but after a while it sort of did. The clamshell, if you look at it closely, is clearly of modern manufacture, and I am resolved to 'modify' the guard this winter, as soon as I have the information and equipment needed to heat treat it.

I have not yet had occasion to spar with it, but it seems well put together, and features a great scabbard, believe it or not, with a frog button and everything. Would I purchase it again? Well, I cannot vouch for the quality of the Loyalist Arms version, but if the quality was the same, I would purchase it again without hesitation at that price. If I ever get that chance to really have a go at somebody with it, I suspect it will cement my opinion, but right now I can't say that I would or wouldn't pay the $230 to MRL again.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Boyo, you've done good. Not only the assortment of blades, but you made Iron Bess drool.

I've got the Darkwood Armory Dussage. I'm incredibly happy with it. The finishing details are a bit lacking, but it still looks and feels great. It only took 4 - 5 months to get. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Pogue

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

i used to joust...and we used starfire swords solely...only ones we found to take the abuse...but they are on the simple and generic years range...but they are made for actual combat...and hold up...with a guarentee replacemnt on the blade...not to shabby

that being said...i never liked their cutlass or boarding dagger...softer metal...dinged easier than the tough smll swords or the bastards (the swordsd not them).....only heard lack luster reviews on the combat side of the cutlasss....

but their falchion/scimitar...holds up beutifully...had one goin on 10 years now....blade still holds ups to the best of them...i had it modifyied...by adding a clam shell...looks better than the starfire cutlass...cheaper too.

pirateswords008.jpg

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg