Roll Call 2008

William Brand

I don't know how this happened... But I seem to have off for PIP Saturday, Sunday and Monday!!! Now if I can get Thursday and Friday, I'm set!!! :D:D

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how this happened... But I seem to have off for PIP Saturday, Sunday and Monday!!!

I slaughtered a goat in the old fashion and spoke words in the old ways and did libations to gods long forgotten...

Actually, I just hoped you'd be there.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Ahoy Mates,

The South Florida Pirates will be attending en mass this coming December.

Last year some of you may remember us. We were the 8 overdressed pirates in the parade. We also spent some time at the fort getting to know a few of you. This year we hope to be 20+ strong.

Just so everyone knows we do several fundraisers each year for Joe DiMaggio's Children's Hopsital in Hollywood, Fl. That's the reason we take on historic pirates names, persona, and dress like we are going to a formal dance. I am sure you know how hot all that garb is.

This year we will be dressing down for the fort but back up for the parade and Duval Street. We are looking forward to making new aquaintances and friends, as well as learning more for our merry band of brethren.

In attendance for 2008:

Blackbeard and Sadie

Capt. Daniel Defoe and Arabella Drummond

Captain Hook and Lady Rita

Long John Silver and Lady Charlotte

Sir Henry Morgan ( Bill Gunn) and Castaway Claire

Calico Jack

We have at least 10 more who are having identity crisis so I shall not name then at this time.

Please feel free to call on us for anything you may need. We are only a short ( 4 hour) drive away and will be coming down on Friday the 5th. Anyone arriving early who needs us to pick up anything please contact me. As we get closer to December I will post my contact information or you can reach us at the group website: www.southfloridapirate.com

Calm Seas and Following Winds

Bill Gunn :rolleyes:

I'm in Hollywood myself. I just checked out your website and looked through the pictures. I remember seeing quite a few of your crew at FLARF this year and look forward to seeing you all again at PiP.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

• 1 month later...

:rolleyes:

Ahoy from Florida,

Looks like there will be a crew of 11 rogues attending from our home port of Daytona Beach. Stingray and I are trying to hook up with Hurricane's crew this summer. We'll be sailing into port at Boyd's campground with an RV and several tents for the bilge rats on Wed. We'll use our motorcycles to get to the fort and around KW. We did that last year and it was great in our pirate outfits.

Fair winds and smooth sails to all,

Flmermaid.

FLmermaid

I slaughtered a goat in the old fashion and spoke words in the old ways and did libations to gods long forgotten..

The effects appear to be far reaching.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

The effects appear to be far reaching.

Aye, but not to everyone's favor I confess. It seems that I may not be attending this year. Work, health, bills and the ever rising cost of travel are quickly combining to make my attendance impossible. I have therefore, with heavy heart, removed my name from the list of attendees for this year, and I will redouble my efforts for the year next.

That would be a tremendous loss, indeed. We would miss you greatly.

But I fear this may be the case with many this year, given the increase in airfare combined with the cutback of schedules and the potential loss of several airlines.

We're even having a booger of a time getting our miles redeemed into tickets for us to travel this summer.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Well that sucks William...BUT don't give up yet. Things do change!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Don't be too troubled. I'm just being pragmatic. I won't be one of those many un-attendees who promise to come all year long and then make no effort to be there. Better to face the fact that I can see no foreseeable way to attend and then show up if the opportunity presents itself.

I simply promised myself that I would not come without my lovely wife, and since I can't see any way of affording even my own passage, well...

Still, I'll do everything in my power to answer questions and see that everyone else makes it there as smoothly as possible.

I appreciate Williams honesty, even if I don't like what he has to say. I find it annoying that so many say "I will be there" then back out at the last minuet. You know at least a month in advance if you are going to make the trip or not. Make the commitment ...buy the ticket!

That said I for one will be very disappointed if I do not get to see William at PiP again this year AND I do not get to meet Maeve!

So,

I slaughtered a goat in the old fashion and spoke words in the old ways and did libations to gods long forgotten...
and I continue to hope that you will both find your way to Key West at the appointed time.

:lol:

Ok, if William canna' come someone's gotta step up as captain, cuz' otherwise I am the only officer (and a measly warrant officer at that) and I sincerely, honestly, really, seriously do not want to be in charge of the Mercury crew.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Those are awfully big shoes to fill too.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Splittin' hairs on that one. He is still the leader de facto of the Mercury gang.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Ok, if William canna' come someone's gotta step up as captain

William is not the Captain.... he is the Quaartermaster, we don't have a Captain.

I hope things change so William and his wife can make it tho.....

Me too, but he sounds pretty positive that he's not going to make it. While it's true he's not the captain, we were bandying the idea of having a captain awhile back. And, as hurricane notes, William is the de-facto leader.

I'm sure everyone that is involved in the Mercury Crew will step up to fill the void should William not be able to attend. It's still quite a ways away and talk about replacements at this point seems premature to me. Perhaps it would be better to ask what we all could do as a group to make this easier on William.

Personally, I will be in denial until the end should William and Maeve not be there. You never know what can happen from now until then.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I'm with Lilly on this one. Denial ...that river in Egypt. Yep ...just sailing along there and William and Maeve will be in Key West.

I'm clicking the heels of my ruby slippers together, crossing my fingers, wishing upon a falling star, carrying my rabbits foot, looking for a four leaf clover, and even saying some brief but sincere requests to God on occasion.

I'm sure everyone that is involved in the Mercury Crew will step up to fill the void should William not be able to attend.  It's still quite a ways away and talk about replacements at this point seems premature to me.  Perhaps it would be better to ask what we all could do as a group to make this easier on William.

Personally, I will be in denial until the end should William and Maeve not be there.  You never know what can happen from now until then.

True. (Just don't make me the head officer if the worst should happen. Pressed warrant officers make for sucky leaders. (Captain Jim, Captain Jim!))

It would be a wretched loss if Mr. Wake doesn't make it, I was really looking forward to meeting William.

Not that this will make up for his loss in any way, but I have about 5 or 6 friends that are considering the trip to Key West with Kate and I. I'll provide names as I get more solid answers out of them (if any of them wind up coming at all :lol: ).

I am also going over the idea of a fund raiser for William and his wife, in case that may help... More details on that when I connect all the dots on this not quite formed idea (if it turns out to be feasible at all). Or perhaps if anyone else is interested in this idea, we could start a thread on it.

Michael_banner.jpg

I am also going over the idea of a fund raiser for William and his wife, in case that may help... More details on that when I connect all the dots on this not quite formed idea (if it turns out to be feasible at all). Or perhaps if anyone else is interested in this idea, we could start a thread on it.

We need to ransom our Quartermaster from the natives of the desert! (The whole state of Utah is desert, isn't it?) This actually has period precedent.

"And there [Algiers] being some Englishmen that were slaves and had been taken sailing with other nations as the 'Holenders' [Dutch (Holland)] and French and 'Portangalls [Portuguese] and others [like Utah], making their petition to our Admiral for to do what we could for their releasement, so a speech was made in our ship to desire from every man in all the ships five shillings to be taken from their short allowance money and given as a free gift towards the ransome of so many poor men in slavery. [Darned Utah slave drivers!]

So every man gave his consent freely, and thus there were twelve or fourteen redeemed from slavery, paying in Spanish money thirty or forty pounds a-piece for their ransome in English sterling." (Barlow's Journal, Edward Barlow, p. 153)

• 2 weeks later...

One more for the Archangel Crewe... just list MM for now...thank you.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/