New POTC toys coming

Rumba Rue

Gee, a Dead Man's Chest lunch box?......

"What are ya having for lunch there, mate?"

"Heart sandwich."

:lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

They must be expecting a robust Christmas season...

This one is cool:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...2168#LargeImage

I wouldn't actually buy it at that price (Or probably at any price - what would I do with such a thing?), but it's still cool.

Also, the Dead Man's Chest Lunchbox is a natural tie in item. :lol:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Oh, I would like the Black Pearl...the one for 149. It sounds like a lot of money but if I were to try to build one on that scale, I am sure it would cost that if not more.

Ny husband just built me the bow of the Black Pearl for Halloween decorations. I spent all day painting, hoping that it wouldn't rain on it. I accidently hit one of the cannons and knocked it off and I'll have to have him put it back on for me.

and all the yellow jackets were swarming around the paint can-it must smell sweet to them!

My boys suggested getting a fog machine and if I can get one cheap, I will. I'd like to have the smoke coming out of each cannon but I think I am putting myself into more project than I want to do.

I have POTC candy that I am putting in the halloween bags along with other treats.

I have the chest cd player and I love it. I know my boys won't borrow that one like they did the other boom box I had(which I never got back)...I just want a player that I can listen to my cds on while I am doing crafts or computer stuff.

This pirate hobby is fun but costly. But we all enjoy what we do so who's to complain!

kttcsignature.jpg

Target has fog machines for $30 right now. I don't know how good they are, but they're pretty cheap. (Used to be you couldn't touch one for under $150.) In fact, they were having a sale on them around here recently. Check back in the Halloween section. The only problem with them as cannon smoke is that, as I recall, they tend to send a pretty intense burst of fog - not really like a cannon would.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Why does everyone who builds a Black Pearl model, refuse to make the masts their full functional heighth? They seem to always copy the Pearl built for the film WHICH PURPOSELY HAD NO TOP MASTS ---those were put in later with CGI. You would think that if you were going to tool up for something you wanted to charge that much for, you'd do a little research.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Why does everyone who builds a Black Pearl model, refuse to make the masts their full functional heighth? They seem to always copy the Pearl built for the film WHICH PURPOSELY HAD NO TOP MASTS ---those were put in later with CGI. You would think that if you were going to tool up for something you wanted to charge that much for, you'd do a little research.

One MAJOR question I have and was thinking of asking (I just wasn't sure whether to put it here in pop or in plunder.

It seems they use the SET ship, rather than the CGI "enhanced" version.

I guess it is just the drawings are easy to obtain.

Anyone know of plan-drawings for the FULL masted version?

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

I don't think Hollywood will ever be absolutely correct on the facts in any movie. It's probably more the time, effort and cost of trying to make a model to scale and with all the proper equipment.

I know this isn't Hollywood but those Drake collectables of Chevy Cars from the 50's are not accurate. Drives my hubby nuts since the commercials brag about authentic this and that, and the model is not correct. So it happens in lots of areas...

Can't fool an ol' Chevy man...

kttcsignature.jpg

We are not talking "hollywood sets," which are "force prespective" in many cases and "4/5 or 3/4 scale versions of "the real thing" to save either space or money.

The PROBLEM is the MODELS made in relation to the movie. Star Wars has the same issue. Many of the sets are made to a scaled down version of that used for large angle stuff (less so now with the CGI). So, the toys and collectibles have to decide which to use as their "base."

A Star Wars example is the "Imperial Shuttle," which had several versions made. There was a 1/48 scale version used for the side shots and a different proportioned , smaller scaled "set piece" for the lower part exteriors (exit of the Emperor), and a larger scaled cockpit set. Now, the "aftermarket" has noticed the issues the 3 versions created. The TOY is CLOSELY based on the 1/48 model (enough to be a 1/48 model), while the plastic model one is based on something else.

http://theforce.net/swtc/lambda.html

The Black Pearl has a full scale set, that is PLANNED to be CGI "enhanced" with the full sails and rigging. I am not sure of the dimensional elements or how the various versions compare to one another (one of the experts will have to help us on that one).

The "gripe" is that the models (for sale to the public) are supposed to be "accurate" to the film, BUT have the rigging the same as the SET and NOT as it is shown in the film.

I would LOVE a fairly accurate large model (even a kit, preferably plastic) that I can mix with my Lionel/O-gauge trains. THAT one LOOKS neat, except for the rigging AND THE PRICE-> OUCH! (Amazon has the same one for $125, still not cheap.)

I don't blame "Hollywood" for not putting on the topmasts. They knew that they'd be adding them later. It's the manufacturers of the model I blame.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

I was watching the movie Kingdom of Heaven recently. It's about the Crusades and keeping/taking the city of Jerusalem. I get most of my reviews from Netflix these days and I noted that the top couple of reviewers were all complaining about historical inaccuracies. Now, from what I read, they are correct. (Although even recorded history is wide open to interpretation as most of us are aware.) However, I didn't even assume that the movie was factually correct. In fact, I had watched it without reading the reviews and I enjoyed the epic quality of it so much (if not Orlando quite so much), that I wondered just how much of it were true. So I did the research to find out.

Anyone who thinks Hollywood sticks to the facts is openly admitting naivety. Even movies that say that they are factual are interpretations. (In fact, everything is basically an interpretation, including your entire world view and mine.)

"Each age tries to form its own conception of the past. Each age writes the history of the past anew with reference to the conditions uppermost in its own time." -Frederick Jackson Turner

As for the toys...well, at least they're making them, right? All who want a toy Black Pearl that is mostly right shall have one! (For the right amount of cash.) Hey, I was looking for views of the toys when I found this decoration. Cool! (Albeit pretty pricey when you have to buy it in bits and pieces.)

http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/produc...rdid-917133.jsp

Mainly because it was recommended to me. To be honest, it was a reasonably good movie and I enjoyed it on its own merits.

OK, what SCALE would THIS one be?

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo...?number=NC30868

Black Pearl wooden model

"This astonishing ship measures 22 3/4-inches tall x 13 3/4-inches wide x 27 1/2-inches long."

Listed at $149.99 (not sure if worth that)

No the one I saw had animtronics and sound effects and was going for about $50.00.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Looking back at my posts here, I realize something . . .

NERD I am.

Red Maria,

Which ship are you thinking. If the size is similar, I might be interested.

This one?

http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/produc...&cm_ite=Keyword

(I wonder if I can JUST get the ship. THAT is ALL I care about.)

Looking back at my posts here, I realize something . . .

NERD I am.

Red Maria,

Which ship are you thinking. If the size is similar, I might be interested.

This one?

http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/produc...&cm_ite=Keyword

(I wonder if I can JUST get the ship. THAT is ALL I care about.)

That look more what I saw except I could have sworn it had Will Turner swinging from the riggig. Also the price was a little bit cheaper. Like $54.95. It was cool though. It was with the Christmas stuff. Maybe I'll go back and double check. The costco is near where I just moved.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency