New POTC toys coming

Rumba Rue

I was watching the movie Kingdom of Heaven recently.

Why??? ;)

About as accurate as "Braveheart"

(NOT a compliment)

I suspect Bess's comment was more directed at a certain actor than the realism or lack thereof.

My OT point was that there is no Hollywood movie that portrays history accurately. In fact, I am arguing that it would be impossible to do so, even if you wanted to and had an unlimited budget. Going into a movie expecting accuracy is setting yourself up for disappointment. I mean accuracy such as each person defines it - which I can just about guarantee is wrong since none of us was there. We have to go by accounts that were written by people from their perspective of what happened, which is biased by their view even if they were there. There are no impartial observers.

At the end of it, you just have to accept Hollywood history for what it is. They never seek to recreate accuracy, they want to create a blockbuster. (Way, way OT, but I just read about a computer program that inputs movie scripts before they're even made and predicts whether the movie will be a hit or not. They did a test with 9 scripts, several studio heads and the software. Result? The execs got 3 of 9 right and the software got 6 of 9 right. ;) )

"Each age tries to form its own conception of the past. Each age writes the history of the past anew with reference to the conditions uppermost in its own time." -Frederick Jackson Turner

Red Maria,

Which ship are you thinking.  If the size is similar, I might be interested.

This one?

http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/produc...&cm_ite=Keyword

(I wonder if I can JUST get the ship.  THAT is ALL I care about.)

You can get the ship in that link separately. In fact, that's the only way you can get it. (When you read the fine print and you'll discover that you have to buy the ship for $59.95, the group with Jack for $59.95 and probably different groupings on the ship for $59.95. Quite an expensive thing to buy complete. ;) ) It is some sort of collectible miniatures thing (Hawthorne Collectibles) and I believe it is sort of, kind of supposed to be for Christmas, although that particular site says it's for Halloween. There's an open one on eBay that's got an opening bid of $29.95, although it also has a $20 shipping cost. Search for "Black Pearl Collectible."

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Right now... just wondering about a couple of items... if they will ever hit the shelves. Better yet, if new items really will be coming out!

I FINALLY checked that link... and more of that stuff has been out for at least a month or two already. For has been expected to be released for at least 4 months or so.

One figure I'd LOVE to get my hands on would be the Zizzle wave 2 human Davy Jones! I've seen him on eBay. And he's sold for nigh $30 (that's with the shipping). Pricy... for a wee figure. I don't care HOW rare. He's coming out of that bubbly package anyway!

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

On the Crusades movie . . .

They have Jerusalem as a SQUARE city in the middle of a large flat plain. The city is on the top of a mountain, on a ridge of mountains. There is NOTHING flat around it. That kind of stuff gets me irritated. Braveheart has the Battle of Stirling Bridge with NO bridge (or even water) in sight and the tactics of a COMPLETELY different battle.

It is like having the bombardment of Ft. Sumter set in the midwest or a desert.

While I am a historian, MUCH of my family is "film" related. ALL are movie nuts, my uncle is an ASC cinemaphotographer, my brother and 2 cousins have "film" degrees of some sort, and more I won't get into. So, I see BOTH sides.

Yet, some things (like overly complicating things, while overly simplifying other in the SAME film) just irritate me. When people change stuff because "the audience won't know any better" in a "historic" movie irritate me. I understand person-compilation and compound characters, historic simplification, and MANY things done in films (and novels for THAT matter). BUT, when it is unnecessary or just "WAY out in left field," it bothers me.

Now, back to the ship.

That site can be read several ways. One, you MUST get "issue 1" BEFORE "issue 2" OR you can get whatever issues you want.

I was hoping it was the latter. Now, if it is available at Costco, it must be.

Now, I wonder who else will carry it this fall.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg