Barbossa's Pistol

LadyBarbossa

;)

NOW ya gents understand the little dilemma of how in the bloody hell to get this pistol replicated. :ph34r:

It does kinda look like heavy Dragoon pistol. Somewhat. Rather long for a Dragoon pistol. About the same size, be a bit long.

Kinda looks Queen Anne to me, albeit still Dragoon/cavalry (obviously into the Rev War cavarly)... with a Virginia type hammer & such. But.. this is what I have seen those far. I could talk to the saftey Officer of the NWTA & see what he says. He works for the Museums in Chicago with firearms. I have not known the man to never be able to identify a weapon yet. Let alone disarm ANY weapon out there. He's that good. Scarey.

But I also agree with ya... if you look at Sparrow's pistol being a real pistol... Barbossa's looks a tad... fragile. It amazes me how it can work when it looks a tad out of proportion. But.. it's a fine looking pistol. I'm sure it was heavy as hell.

But.. now that you gents know what it looks like - thank you SO VERY much, Hawkyns. Treasure to ya, kind sir. I have the same pic, just no way to post it).. maybe someone can make this pistol. Again, I'm not the only one who would LOVE to have this pistol.

Huzzah!

Forever Barbossa's,

Anastazia

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any takers out there willing to make firing & non-firing replicas of Barbossa's pistol? As I said, I know a good amount of people wanting this pistol.

Huzzah!

Anastazia

;)

• 5 weeks later...

AHOY there, shipmates!

Anyone have any ideas or places to suggest of who be willing to make firing & non-firing replicas of Barbossa's pistol?

:huh:

Ye do know what "firing" enntails don't ye?

First ye must become proficient in black powder, and get certified. Then you have to keep it current. Otherwise, you will not be allowed to fire a black powder weapon. EVER

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

First ye must become proficient in black powder, and get certified. Then you have to keep it current. Otherwise, you will not be allowed to fire a black powder weapon. EVER

Appreciate the concern, Mr. Young. :ph34r:

Aye... I'm aware of what firing is. I re-enact the Am Rev War, despite I am a rookie still.. being this my 3rd year, though won't be doing any events this year since I will be assisting my sis, having just found out she has cancer.

I've seen what happens with pistols & muskets kinda neglected ... even over night at the camp sites. LOTS to go into the care of those weapons. Course, depends on their quality though, too. :ph34r:

But.. aye... I want both a firing & non-firing one. I know others out there who be wanting a firing & non- firing replica of the pistol.

I've checked with Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gunworks... Didn't have much luck there other than just telling me about their models. :rolleyes:

Just need to find someone willing to make the pistol.

:ph34r:

Ummmm...... certified? by whom? NPS has a certification program but it's primarily for NPS employees. There are some re-enactors who get an NPS ticket, but it only really counts at NPS sites. There are also some re-enactment societies that have schools of the soldier, but it is often handled on a unit level basis. I've fired at re-enactments and festivals all over the East coast and have no official ticket for pistol or musket. I do have them for cannon, but that is a completely different set of rules and requirements.

Mostly, it's handled by the event safety inspector who will give you a run through and make sure you know what you are doing. If you are part of a participating unit, your CO takes responsibilty for you. If you are a solo, you may be brigaded with other solos or you may be assigned to a unit, where you will be checked again by the unit safety inspector.

Either way, I have never heard of rules such as you say, and I've been shooting black powder at re-enactment for more than 20 years.

Hawkyns

:rolleyes:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I'm in accord with ye, Hawkyns. I never ran across any rules like that either in well over thirty years of dealing with muzzle loaders. I've only run up on variations of those you stated, and have served as safety officer on many occasions.....

>>>>> Cascabel

First ye must become proficient in black powder, and get certified.  Then you have to keep it current.  Otherwise, you will not be allowed to fire a black powder weapon.  EVER

Ummmm...... certified? by whom? NPS has a certification program but it's primarily for NPS employees. There are some re-enactors who get an NPS ticket, but it only really counts at NPS sites. There are also some re-enactment societies that have schools of the soldier, but it is often handled on a unit level basis. I've fired at re-enactments and festivals all over the East coast and have no official ticket for pistol or musket. I do have them for cannon, but that is a completely different set of rules and requirements.

Mostly, it's handled by the event safety inspector who will give you a run through and make sure you know what you are doing. If you are part of a participating unit, your CO takes responsibilty for you. If you are a solo, you may be brigaded with other solos or you may be assigned to a unit, where you will be checked again by the unit safety inspector.

Either way, I have never heard of rules such as you say, and I've been shooting black powder at re-enactment for more than 20 years.

Hawkyns

Aye, Hawkyns has the right of it. There is no such certification between here and Maryland that I am aware of - I am unfamiliar with State regs elsewhere, but if New Jersey and New York don't have such, it is unlikely any other states have them.

I've fired my first blackpowder weapon (with supervision, but I set linstock to touch hole myself) at the tender age of 8, almost 32 years ago ( a nice 4 lb gun, and live fire to boot), and I've shot just about any sort of blackpowder gun, live fire or reenactment you can imagine, from handgonne on up, and I've never heard tell of any official ceritification.

The only state issuing cannoneer liscences, and requiring a liscensed canoneer on a guncrew, at the last I heard was Massachusetts - Hawykins has one, as he shoots up thisaway quite a bit.

The only state issuing cannoneer liscences, and requiring a liscensed canoneer on a guncrew, at the last I heard was Massachusetts - Hawykins has one, as he shoots up thisaway quite a bit.

Ahhh, yes.... The "People's Republik" of Massachusetts, I'm glad I no longer live there !!!!!

>>>>> Cascabel

I've spoken with ..::thinks:: can't remember their official titles... but they are with the Law Enforcement Angencies of the various states. Re-enactors are free to transport weapons, no need for a liscense unless you intend to fire the weapon with a projectile, ie bullet. & well.... for certain safety reasons... we know we won't fire a bullet. Or better not, lest some of the SoB will shoot ya in return.

But.. certification, is not necessary. Though, inspection as mentioned depending upon who you are with, from units/regt to associations of certain period events. I know the BAR is rather strict on some rules.

As long as someone is well aware of using a firing weapon & it's care... then most couldn't care if they are liscensed, certified, etc. I'm sure if you spent $800 on a musket, I'm sure you will be taking REAL good care of the weapon!

But... Any ideas all? Besides talking with Track of the Wolf? Dixie Gunworks? Anyone else who would be inclined to make them?

But... Any ideas all? Besides talking with Track of the Wolf? Dixie Gunworks? Anyone else who would be inclined to make them?

I hates to perhaps burst yer bubble, but any maker worth his salt would charge upwards of $1000 to build a hand made piece like the one you want. You may want to approach some custom gunmakers with the proposal, backed up with cash.

Perhaps you can find someone to modify an existing production weapon for your purposes.....

>>>>>> Cascabel

Aye well, it just may be the historical nazis I deal with in the waters of Florida.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

:lol:

I hates to perhaps burst yer bubble, but any maker worth his salt would charge upwards of $1000 to build a hand made piece like the one you want. You may want to approach some custom gunmakers with the proposal, backed up with cash.

Perhaps you can find someone to modify an existing production weapon for your purposes.....

>>>>>> Cascabel

That's the problem with the US, I get costum stuff made over in Itali and is always cheaper. Tells you something. Why is it like this?

Most of been Terrible for you Jack , It bloody well is now! - Capt'n Jack Sparrow

JACK! :rolleyes: Yer gonna put me into Political mode here. Not a pretty sight! :lol:

Just goes to show how much our Forefather's are doing a 100+ mph rottisserie in their graves.

I'm pretty sure you have to be certified in Canada. I worked at a black powder store for 13 years, and have shot blackpowder for 30, and I've never had to be certified.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

• 2 weeks later...
That Fyne pistol be a Wheel lock, (Pre Flintlock) Dutch in Design (The Ornate Fillagree on the Handle, and the Ivory Handle. (Most likely Taken from a Dutch Captain.) Wheel locks were actually Favored over the flintlock, as Cocking, and Storing them loaded was much easier. (But Loading them was quite bothersome)

Umm.... I'd have to disagree with that. Wheellocks need a spanner to wind them up, flintlocks are a quick pull with the hand. The springs on a wheelock are particularly sensitive and prone to taking a set when left wound. That is particularly true of the 16th and 17th C wheellocks.

Hawkyns

:unsure:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I'd buy a kit, then put it together & put the decor on it... IF I could do something like that. I'm not even close to a gunsmith, & I wouldn't dare try it myself in fear it would back fire in my face.

Unfortunately, no gun shows since Feburary around here.. :lol: So.... I haven't asked anyone. ::le sigh::

Who would have thought, trying to have Barbossa's pistol replicated would be SOOOO difficult? :unsure:

:lol:

**sigh** were it only a few years past. 'ad a gude friend, fellow re-enactor that specialized in custom gunsmithing. He made a beautiful period, replica longrifle with silver furnishings for me to give me then husband, incredibly reasonably priced too. Paid a mere 600.00 for that gorgous piece, I am still hopeful that I may get my 'ands on it yet. LOL

I'd be 'appy to do some checking around circles 'ere to see if any of the gang are still doing custom work, they were all very reasonable with their prices. If ye'd like me to that is.

your aye,

Kat

Lady Barbossa, I'm very sorry to hear of your sister's troubles.

With regard to the pistol, we still don't seem to have any clear images of it. Whoever you get to make one is going to need to know what it looks like.

I think perhaps your best bet at this point is to go right to the horse's mouth.

Find out who made the original prop for the movie and ask them about it. These folks are proud of their work and often quite willing to talk about it.

Thank ye kindly, Kat.

I'm still rather hopeful about finding someone willing to make them. Again, I think it wise to make both the non-firing replicas & working/firing replicas. I know a few people who I'm sure would be rather interested in buying one if they were available. Since there are a couple gents out there as well who go to ren faires dressed as Barbossa.

Plus, Barbossa followers (like myself) who want that pistol.

Again, thank ye kindly.

I may have posted these previously... but I'll do it again... these are some pix I have found that are the clearest shots of the pistol itself....

07_smaller.JPG

& another....

Welcome_aboard_the_black_pearl.JPG

I was able to find a similiar type kit via Track of the Wolf, inc... including the cock/ hammer... which they label it as "Virginia". It's tilting the flint down just enough to assure a spark to the pan to fire pretty much the majority of the time. Which, who ever built the Barbossa pistol, did one hell of a job! In my opinion. Now... if I can have that kind of pistol at the re-enactments... I wouldn't have to bloody die all the time! :lol:

So... if ANYONE out there knows of gunsmiths willing to take up this challenge... present the idea. :)

:unsure:

:huh::huh: No comment there, mate! But the pistol is right nice. :huh: :) :huh::huh::huh::huh:

As to the lock... ::: shakes head:: nope. The one the Track of the Wolf,inc looked different.

I could be mistaken about the name.

::le sigh:: just eager to get this pistol.

Propmaster of PotC I believe was "Chuck" Stewart.

As to who made the pistol originally... : Shrugs:: But, it's not the first time this pistol has been used. It was used in "Cutthroat Island" by Dawg Brown.

Is this the lock you mean?

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/(724).htm

BTW, is it just me, or does the pistol Barbossa's holding in the pic look incredibly huge? A sort of nuclear pirate pistol.

Actually a lot of the dragoon pistols are that big. Me new doglock is 22" long and essentially 20 guage.

boom :)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered