Robert DeNiro = Pirate Captain?

Mr_Scabbs

Yar, I found the trailer for the movie Stardust and noticed that Robert DeNiro will be playing a role in the film as a pirate captain. True, he's the captain of a "flying" pirate ship, but oh well. He's still a pirate...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/stardust/

"I like nachos. Mermaid nachos."

The Seabeaver - Official Website

Facebook

MySpace

Twitter

banner2.gif

The movie is based on a novel by Neil Gaiman (sp?). Personally I love the guys writing, and have followed his work from his early days writing comics/graphic novels right through his earlier novels and have at this point read most of his major works (which I highly recomend).

For me, this is one of the films I've been most anticipating this summer.

Michael_banner.jpg

The movie is based on a novel by Neil Gaiman (sp?). Personally I love the guys writing, and have followed his work from his early days writing comics/graphic novels right through his earlier novels and have at this point read most of his major works (which I highly recomend).

For me, this is one of the films I've been most anticipating this summer.

I'm right there with you. I've been hoping they'd make this into a movie since I read it. I'm really looking forward to this one.

I simply cannot wait for Stardust to come out in Belgium!

I do hope they'll make a movie from Gaiman's Neverwhere too, but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Actually, there is a televised mini-series for Neverwhere (I think it was a BBC production). I picked it up in Canada on DVD just before I moved to the US... But I am fairly sure I have seen it around here as well, at least in the video rental stores.

As it (Nervewhere) was made for Television, the production value isn't what it could be, but I still enjoyed it immensely.

Michael_banner.jpg

I was just looking at the synopsis for this over at Rotten Tomatoes website. It looks like it could be pretty good. Michelle Pfeiffer as an evil witch and DeNiro as a zepplin pirate captain? Who can resist that? (Claire Daines with blonde hair looks sort of odd, however. At least to me, she does.) I don't know if it's worth seeing in the theaters, but it definitely looks like good DVD fodder. (It's sort of curious to me how green fire has come to mean evil witchcraft lately. Green has normally been associated with positive things and red with negative things. Now the trend is reversing in the the fictional witchcraft world.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

The trailers look very good, but I'll have to re-read the book -- I see lots of things in the advets that I just don't recall from the book. Even a little...

I have seen and thoroughly enjoyed the Neverwhere miniseries -- though, as usual, the book was better. I've heard now and then rumors of Good Omens and/or Sandman being made into movies or miniseries. Can't remember where exactly I heard it (somehwere on the 'net, I'm sure) but it never seems to materialize...

sig2.jpg

As it (Nervewhere) was made for Television, the production value isn't what it could be, but I still enjoyed it immensely.

Oh I am aware of this abomination. I make brave attempts to erase it from my memory.

The Markies rocked, and that's about all the good things I can say about it.

I want a proper Neverwhere movie dammit! :)

The trailers look very good, but I'll have to re-read the book -- I see lots of things in the advets that I just don't recall from the book.  Even a little...

I have seen and thoroughly enjoyed the Neverwhere miniseries -- though, as usual, the book was better.  I've heard now and then rumors of Good Omens and/or Sandman being made into movies or miniseries.  Can't remember where exactly I heard it (somehwere on the 'net, I'm sure) but it never seems to materialize...

Hey Zephaniah (and anyone else interested),

I met Neil at a reading he did a few years back (I think it was upon the release of "American Gods"), and at that time he confirmed that there was something in the works for "Good Omens", but it might not happen (something about all the right peices not coming together at the right time). So I think that project got shelved.... Which is really sad.... But that also means the project could resurface and finally come to be as well. :lol:

As for "The Sandman", he was pretty resolute in saying that it would not ever likely happen. He countered himself by saying that he wouldn't completely rule out the possibility, but he was fairly firm in his assertion about the unlikelyhood of it.

And of course all of that was three years ago? Four? Who knows what might have changed in that time.

I did see on "Wikipedia reference for Neil Gaiman" (for however reliable that is) that a film for "Caroline" was in the works, as well as a film for "Death: The High Cost of Living"... Now if that is true, at least there will be a film about one of the endless, maybe that could lead to more....

I liked the "Neverwhere" miniseries.... I admit I would like to see it redone and done better, but I did like it all the same.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hey mates,

Pirates Magazine got an early screening of Stardust to try and see if we could use Robert Dinero for the cover.

Dinero played an awsome roll. Funney and whitty like we have never seen Robert....butttttt if any of you have seen the movie may know...we couldnt use him for the cover. We felt that the pirate world in general would be a bit angered to have a cross dressing pirate captain on the cover.

that being said...brilliant roll and he played it perfectly !

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

well i felt that the pirates played a pretty small roll in the movie anyway.and i was pretty dissapointed with the movie.once again everyone from europe has a british accent and even someone from outer space has a british accent.it couldve been better

I met Neil at a reading he did a few years back (I think it was upon the release of "American Gods"), and at that time he confirmed that there was something in the works for "Good Omens", but it might not happen (something about all the right peices not coming together at the right time). So I think that project got shelved.... Which is really sad.... But that also means the project could resurface and finally come to be as well. :lol:

I did see on "Wikipedia reference for Neil Gaiman" (for however reliable that is) that a film for  "Caroline" was in the works, as well as a film for "Death: The High Cost of Living"...

I've had a casting director keeping her ear to the ground for me regarding "Good Omens" news because I REALLY wanted to read for a role. It seems that Terry Gilliam, who was on board to direct, became so discouraged and financially beaten down by the whole Don Quixote "Lost in LaMancha" situation that any momentum the project had has ground to a halt. Gilliam has, I believe, let his option on the title run out.

But as you can see by reading Gaiman's blog at www.neilgaiman.com, "Coraline" and "Death: The High Cost of Living" have been given green lights - I believe both are in pre-production stages now.

Saw "Stardust" a couple of weeks ago, and I loved it.

• 5 months later...

I just saw this last night. It is a fun movie. Claire Danes was fine as a blonde star, so my concern was for naught. However, I personally thought DeNiro was sort of flat in his role. He didn't strike me very convincingly as being a pirate, a cross-dresser or a mentor. (Wouldn't you have loved to have seen Sean Connery in that role? He can play such a great mentor. I don't know how he'd fare as a cross-dresser...although there was that whole Zardoz get up...)

Also, what exactly were the pirates supposed to be pirating? They seemed more like the electrical equivalent of 19th century whalers to me. Still, it wouldn't have mattered what they were, they were fine for the part of comic relief, allies and temporary rescuers - a good, fun movie.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Actually, the pirates in this movie would fit in extremely well with the Steampunk thread ~

Boilerplate, The Victorian Robot

I personally loved it ~ lots of fun brain and eye candy. DeNiro was a hoot ~ maybe not the best choice for a cross-dressing pirate captain/mentor, but certainly fun! Sometimes it is nice not seeing someone you would expect...

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

DeNiro usually plays a great everyman. Pirates captains are often portrayed as over-the-top and a cross-dressing pirate should be doubly so. (It was awfully sporting of him to take the role, though.) He was good in the scene where they were haggling over the price of the electricity. Of course, that's an everyman/mobster sort of thing.

Now, Michelle Pfeiffer...she was just awesome in her role. One of the great actresses of our time, I think. She seems to be able to play from one end of the spectrum to the other and pull it off. She can even play against her looks and pull that off too.

• 1 month later...

Finally rented it and probably will add it to my collection as well. I throughly loved the Pirate part of the movie. Captain Shakespeare was EXCELLENT....I would love to have his wardrobe closet intact!!!!!!! As to the flying ship I wish they would of explained a tad more about the lightning, and as well about the Lightning Marshalls that they were leary of. Does anyone have more to expand about the lightning other than it powered the ship and they could sell the extra lightning for $?

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Bought it on DVD recently.

It's terrific. And the pirate airship was definitely my favourite part.

Cheeky Actress asked:

Anyone watch the outtakes? Some pretty funny stuff there.

Oooo... I never got around to the Special Features. I'll have to go back and take a look.

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

....True, he's the captain of a "flying" pirate ship, but oh well. He's still a pirate..

an' just what might ye be havin' against 'flying' pirates I must ask??

*taps belaying pin against the stern...*

:lol:

Proof that Sky Pirates to exist....

:huh:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!