BACONFEST

William Brand

On Saturday, October 13th we shall be celebrating the 15th Annual Baconfest since its inception. Baconfest was first begun as the brainchild of Ty Coleman who was forced to listen to me and my friend Jonas as we expounded on the beauty and divinity of all things Bacon. We Wetlanders, a medieval reenactment club, mutually agreed that we would have a Baconfest that year and every year thereafter. The small culinary festival has been running now these 15 years and we have consumed considerable quantities of the salty stuff, braving clogged arteries and a shortened life span to celebrate the fruit of the Pig.

Over the years the Wetlanders of Baconfest have often wondered if Baconfest would become more than it was, spreading across the globe to the far reaches of the Earth. Our dreams, bacon laden as they've been, were finally realized when our own Silkie McDonough contacted me to ask if we would mind if she held a simultaneous Baconfest in her own neck of the woods.

To put it mildly...we were delighted.

And so, Baconfest East was born. It will be held on the same night as Baconfest, but in the area of New Jersey. Pirates and Baconmongers alike will be gathering at Silkie's house to participate in a joint Baconfest with us. My friend Steev, a Baconeater these past ten years, will be joining Silkie's party on the east coast. To add to this, my friend Jonas is beginning a Baconfest North in Homer Alaska, also to be held on October 13th.

Three Baconfests! Imagine it.

We've been giddy. We've laughed at the very mention of Bacon for several months now. Then, this very night, False Ransom suggested that there might be some Baconeaters who cannot attend these larger festivities, and suggested that we should make the Baconfest larger still by asking all of you to join in by eating bacon on the night of the 13th wherever you may be worldwide. A marvelous suggestion and worthy of merit.

So the invitation is open. Join us, one and all. Cook up a little something and throw in a touch of bacon, or if you prefer, cook up a lot of bacon and throw nothing else in at all. Gather in groups or gather alone in the knowledge that Bacon-eating revelers are feasting on pork bellies the world over. Put on your favorite renfair getups, or slip into something piratey and join is on the 13th as we celebrate 15 years of Bacon.

Anyone wishing to know more about hosting their own local Baconfest, including the many sorted and interesting traditions that make it a true Baconfest, may contact me with inquiries.

Edit: The various incarnations of Baconfest for this year...

Baconfest - Logan, Utah

Baconfest East - Collingswood, New Jersey

Baconfest North - Homer, Alaska

Baconfest Moscow - Moscow, Russia

White Trash Baconfest - Lowry City, Mo.

Baconfest North-Midwest - Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Baconfest Minnesota - Minnesota

Baconfest Buffalo - Buffalo, New York

Baconfest Chicago - Chicago, Illinois

Baconfest Idaho - Preston, Idaho

bacon.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, I might just have to do this. My little swab LOVES bacon. Come to think so does my brother. He used to get BLT sandwiches at school, hold the L & T <_<

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Oh man, I might just have to do this. My little swab LOVES bacon. Come to think so does my brother. He used to get BLT sandwiches at school, hold the L & T <_<

My wife and your brother should get together. She often speaks of her youth and bacon sandwiches with nothing but pig and bread.

Strangely enough, Baconfest seems to be a natural step in the evolution of the species. I have found that people celebrate Baconfests all over. I have yet to find one older than our own, but there are a few that are held yearly.

Examples...

Baconville, New York has been holding an annual Baconfest since 2003.

The band "Unexplained Bacon" played at a venue called Baconfest.

Porkopheliacs Anonymous held two Baconfests, one in 2000 and another in 2001. They have a very funny website at baconfest.org.

The Triangle Wine Enthusiasts held a Baconfest in June of this year.

It is a part of us to spontaneously gather to eat Bacon. Oh yes.

;););)

OMG, it really may work!

A new Pub tradition - Baconfest Day!

Huzzah, William! ;)

**Heading off to run through my cookbooks, looking for something really unique to add bacon to. ;)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 1 month later...

My niece is holding another Baconfest event this year that shall run on the same day as ours. This particular Baconfest will be held in Moscow. Not Moscow, Idaho. The original Moscow. We are now international.

For those of you keeping track at home, this makes four Baconfest events on October 13th.

Now you got me hungry for bacon again.

bacon-cheese-potato-pie.jpg

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Oh, dude. I'm in. I'm so in. My friend Danny just made me a candy bar a few weeks ago. It was chocolate covered bacon.

Don't knock it 'till you tried it. It tasted like an angel's tears, beautiful and strong and salty and delicious.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

OK... it is Baconfest Mid-west as well! We hillbillies make our own artery hardners out here, but never thought of celebrating our briny treat! Any of ya'll out here in the middle waters of the midwest coast wanna come out 'n play?

We had a feral hog hunt that turned out to be a bust, some really irresponsible jerks had been shooting up the place and the MDC shut things down for awhile, but we're ready to go on this one again when the weather cools off, so some boucaneer bacon may be on hand as well. B)

Huzza William! Send the particulars and my brothers and I will join you!

Bo

Add Baconfest North-Midwest to that. Milwaukee will reel with fried fat.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Add Baconfest North-Midwest to that. Milwaukee will reel with fried fat.

That becomes a mouthful, so don't be afraid to call it Baconfest Milwaukee or some such name befitting the region itself. Perhaps like Milwaukee, it could have some native name.

So many possibilities. Welcome aboard.

Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Huzzah!

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

In my opinion, there is only*one* way to cook bacon (Canadians and non-Americans not withstanding)...that is to cook bacon only in the broiler oven...and crisp. I swear by Almighty God, that oven broiling is a far superior taste than your usual frying pan.

Now, on a different note. ........... We are Pyrates! :lol:

That being said, we eat seafood, You eat it or you die!...life on the high seas, no refirgeration=seafood diet (my apologies for those who are adverse to eating living swimming creatures and also those who are allergic to such).

My dear old dad's ( that bloody old sod can't do nuthin but talk about it, I swear) pride and joy is Angels On Horseback.

...basically broiled oyster wrapped in bacon. Here is the recipe for those interested: Angels On Horseback

SHIP2-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I made this potato casserole the other night and thought it might be good for your baconfest celebrations. It's pretty hearty and will feed a lot of people. I would love to have one myself but timing isn't good this year.

Twice-Baked Potato Casserole.

6 medium unpeeled potatoes, baked

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled

3 cups (24 oz) sour cream

2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese

2 cups )8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese

2 green onions, chopped

Cut baked potatoes into 1" cubes. Place half in a greased 13x9x2 baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper and bacon. Top with half of the sour cream and cheeses. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with onions.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Oh man... I just made a word doc to print that one off! Thanx Lilly!

Last nite I had to try a Filet Mignon au Venison, just because I never had in all these years. OOh La La! Home-made bacon and my kill... Dang, there I go again with the drooling thing...