Fictional Pyrate Literature

KindheartedKylie

;)

I thought I'd begin this topic because I recently purchased a book simpley titled 'Pirates!' by Celia Rees. It mentions numerous pyrates such as Anne Bonny, Calico Jack and so on. So far, it is really good and I suggest it to anyone who is interested in pyrate stories. (It was, however, in the teen fiction section . . . befitting to me because I am a teen . . . but it may appeal to most adults as well!)

I was also wondering if anyone else has a pyrate book/story etc that they would like to tell me or anyone else about just because I find it an interesting subject . . . obviously . . . :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Two books that come immediatly to mind about the real historical Pirates is Under a Black Flag by David Cordingly and Pirates, by Angus Konston. Both books are fun reads (and Konstans is filled with illustrations and painting on Real life pirates.)

The second Book is of course Treasure Island By Robert Loius Stevenson...You will find it in the classics section (oooh scarey huh). It was the first Fictionalized novel about Pirates that I ever read. A fun Read for all ages....

For historical Fiction of Nautical Adventures. Bernard Cornwall's Sharpes Tralfagar, and the Parick O'Brian novel's

The best Pirate novel (in my humble opinion) is Captain Blood, by Rafael Sabatini. The Story is Phenomenal..it has everything. Romance, civil War, Betrayal, Dueling,slavery and best of all Pirates. A great Read and alot of fun.

"Under the Black Flag" by Cordingly definitely looks wonderful (when I actually have time to read it, I'm sure I'll love it); I also have to recommend "The Lost Fleet" by Barry Clifford. From what I've read of it so far (*glares at stupid school textbooks that take up all free time*), it's really well-written and bloody _fascinating_ . . . and if anyone can read it without thinking, after completing the first chapter, "d'Estrees! You MORON!" please let me know. Thank you.

For fiction -- if you don't mind a bit of a fantasy flair, you can't get much better than Robin Hobb's Liveship series (first book is called "Ship of Magic" -- it's a trilogy). I've read the first in the series and it's really delightful. All the characters are really neat, but the pirate captain Kennit is well-written, IMO, and fun in his own way. (Not a Jack Sparrow-esque fun, mind you; fun in a different way.)

And I _must_ read Captain Blood by Sabatini already -- I keep hearing how good it is . . . oh, will Christmas Break EVER get here so I can read all this great pirate literature!?! :ph34r:

I am now "Captain Charlotte Savvy." Sorry for any confusion -- I'll only be making this user-name change this once! :)

I must say I'm not absolutely wild about Cordingly's Under the Black Flag, which I have read. Too dry.

I personally find the older stories much more interesting-- like A General History of the Pyrates by Capt. Charles Johnson and The Buccaneers of America by Alexander O. Exquemelin.

Less academic, more adventure!

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

For a great overview of the early days of the Buccaneers (as distinct from pirates proper) you can't do better than John Masefield's "On the Spanish Main," a bit hard to find but worth the search. It draws heavily on Exquemilin but on other historians as well. This was in the pre-Jolly Roger, whup-the-Spaniards days and the Buccaneers (early-mid 17th century) were an even rougher lot that the pirates of the Golden Age (roughly 1690s-1730s).

:ph34r: Thanks to all of you! I really appreciate your suggestions and comments. I, myself, am in the middle of reading Under The Black Flag by David C and am rather enjoying it. It is indeed very formal but I suppose I expected it to be so and don't really mind since I'm trying to learn all I can. (It's amazing how dorky I can make myself sound! :ph34r: )

Anyways, I'm definetly going to try to find the books mentioned. (Hopefully there will be enough time for this during the upcoming Christmas holidays . . . school . . . *shudder*)

If I can think of any other books to suggest to all of you, I'll post them.

Thanks again!

I was just recently given a book, The Barbary Pirates by C.S. Forester. Haven't had a chance to read it nor do I know whether it's fiction or non however it looks to be fiction at first glance.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

I hear ye, Kindhearted Kylie, when it comes to trying to cram in all that good pirate literature into the Christmas Break . . . I'll be reading "Under the Black Flag" then, along with a whole slew of other books. I can't wait -- I just hope I have time for them all! :)

Speaking of -- last night I picked up a book called "The Dragon Sorcerer," by John Gregory Betancourt, which I found in the Bookstore purely by chance; despite its title, the main character is a pirate. I'll let you know (when I have time to read it :lol: ) if it's any good -- but it rather looks like fun.

I am now "Captain Charlotte Savvy." Sorry for any confusion -- I'll only be making this user-name change this once! :)

I know this isn't a pirate book, but the book gives the absolute best recorded history of Port Royal there is. I can't say enough good things about it, and I recommend it to everyone who is interested in the history of Port Royal.

The book is: "Port Royal, Jamaica", by Michael Pawson and David Buisseret.

The best pirate books I can recommend is: "Piracy, Days of Long Ago", by Kenneth W. Mulder, and "Bold in Her Breeches", edited by Jo Stanley.

I also have a rare book which will probably be hard to find, but it's called,

"Crossroads of the Buccaneers," by Hendrik De Leeuw, copywrited in 1937.

Rumba Rue

**When everything's coming your way, you're sailing in the wrong land and the wrong direction** :lol:

;)

You might give a looky to The Pirates Own Book by the Marine Research Society.

The narratives in it are very interesting and not too dry to read. They at least kept my interest.

It touches on some Pirates that I had never heard of as well as the more famous ones.

Neat woodcut illustrations too.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I've wundered meself wot it might be like to read a book, me own education being of the pragamatic sort, wif no time for books, but I've 'eard Tim Powers' "On Stranger Tides" is an interesting read, an' a fictionalized account of Blackbeard's actual, real-life vodun practices. I 'aven't read it meself, of course, and I hear it's out o'print, wotever that means. The world of literature is a frightening and mysterious one indeed.

:ph34r:

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Black Bart Ya scurvy ratt ya beat me to it...I was going to recommend El Cazador. I think it is a great read and I love the art Work (I loved the guys work with Marvel on Avengers and Namor) and it is writen by Chuck Dixon. Well Done Bart...Thanks for suggesting it.

Under a Black Flag is a little Dry..if you read it straight through...but it is a great referance.

Angus Konstan did two books...one for the Osprey Publishing called Buccaneers 1620-1700 which is great...covers all the legends and uses Exquellions, and Johnson as well as DaFoe as references. It also dispells some of the Myth. His second Book is more comprehensive (even covering modern day piracy) but just as good.

Osprey has also put out a book called Pirates 1700-1820 also by Konstan (I think). as well as a book called the Pirates Ship which is more of a Tech Manual.

What about Pirate Fiction?? Any Ideas???

I was just recently given a book, The Barbary Pirates by C.S. Forester. Haven't had a chance to read it nor do I know whether it's fiction or non however it looks to be fiction at first glance.

I hate you now. I 've been looking for that one for 2 years now. Another good pirate book is The guardship, and the sequels, the Blackbirder and The Pirate Round, all by James L. Nelson

When I want your opinion, I'll read it in your entrails!

You want a photo copy of it? If you're willing to sport the change for the copy and the shipment I can give you a photo copy.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

• 3 weeks later...

Two of my fave reads are non-fiction: Peter Earle's "The Sack of Panama", which I can't recommend highly enough. Fun to read, tells a great story (with Henry Morgan, how can you go wrong?), and covers a lot of the Spanish side of the story. Unfortunately it's out of print. I got a copy from the library once, and my dog chewed the corner...so back I went to pay for the book, and at the time they weren't giving the books back! Took me three years to find another copy! And to top it off, now I work for the same library system.

Anyway, another good one, if a bit dry, is Peter Gerhard's "Pirates of the Pacific 1575-1742" (also known as Pirates of New Spain 1575-1742-go figure). Chock-full of interesting info on the "other ocean."

Love "Captain Blood" and the two sequels. "Black Swan" is great. "Stranger Tides" is also really good.

Didn't Black Lace books do a really bad pirate erotic novel? I'm gonna have to go rummage through my book shelves again...

I think at this point I can count myself as being completely stupid. I'm very interested in the subject of pirates but never before have I thought of reading a book on pirates. And believe me, it's hard to catch me with my nose not in a book!

I feel like a bloody daft idiot. :ph34r:

*adds "Sea Star" to her list of piratical books to get in the near future* Anne Bonny is probably my favorite historical pirate . . . so thanks for the recommendation, Charity's Treasure.

I think at this point I can count myself as being completely stupid. I'm very interested in the subject of pirates but never before have I thought of reading a book on pirates. And believe me, it's hard to catch me with my nose not in a book!

JoetheMonkey, don't feel bad. That's exactly the sort of revelation I'm likely to have. Two days ago I was making a day trip with a friend of mine to tour her university (I be considering grad school, not that that's important for the purpose of my story *grins*), and we were talking about history (we're both nerds) and happened to get on the subject of Christopher Columbus. I said that I was fairly certain that Columbus had died without ever knowing that he'd discovered not a quicker way to India, but an entirely new continent.

"Yeah," my friend said, "I think he was always convinced that he'd found his way to the East Indies. He never knew what he'd really found."

I looked at for a long moment, then suddenly burst out with, "OH! The EAST Indies, in the Pacific Ocean! So THAT'S why they call those islands in the Caribbean the WEST Indies! *I* get it now!"

My friend was alternating from looking at the road (she was driving) to staring at me oddly. I tried to grin. "Sorry. I just had a bit of a revelation about something obvious, right now."

"Uh-huh," she said, still looking at me.

So all of us pirates have our moments. At least, I have. B)

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

Who is this pirate Charlotte Saavy? She reminds me of Miss Doyle. Anyway, I, too have had similar epiphanies. In fact, I had the exact moment of West Indian recognition that you did, Charlotte, except for two differences: One, I kept the revelation to myself. Two, I promptly forget it, and made the same realization three or four more times until I remembered it. I sniffed gasoline as a child.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Who is this pirate Charlotte Saavy? She reminds me of Miss Doyle. Anyway, I, too have had similar epiphanies. In fact, I had the exact moment of West Indian recognition that you did, Charlotte, except for two differences: One, I kept the revelation to myself. Two, I promptly forget it, and made the same realization three or four more times until I remembered it. I sniffed gasoline as a child.

Hmm . . . *musingly* Miss Doyle, Miss Doyle . . . 'fraid I can't place the name . . . B)

Bloody Jack, I believe I must learn, as you have, to keep these revelations to myself -- but then again, the disbelieving stares of me shipmates as they look at me in bewildered amazement is something I'd sorely miss. So perhaps I'll continue to share 'em as they come. *grins*

Unfortunately, I don't even have the gasoline-sniffing excuse. Maybe my amazing revelations have something to do with being dropped on my head too many times as a small child. Or something to that effect.

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

captainjackisback.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't even have the gasoline-sniffing excuse. Maybe my amazing revelations have something to do with being dropped on my head too many times as a small child. Or something to that effect.

That is very interesting, since I, too was dropped as a child. As a baby, in fact. By my sister, who was pretending to be Mom in Mom's high heels. Down a flight of steps. Really.

My nose resembles neither my father's nose nor my mother's. And it's because my face was all smashed up.

Sometimes, if I do something particularly goofy, as I am wont to do, people will ask "Were you dropped on your head as a child?" and I will turn on them quite fiercely and say "Yes! Yes I was! Do you think that's funny? My mother was in anguish for months!" and they will weep with remorse.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Sometimes, if I do something particularly goofy, as I am wont to do, people will ask "Were you dropped on your head as a child?" and I will turn on them quite fiercely and say "Yes!  Yes I was!  Do you think that's funny?  My mother was in anguish for months!"  and they will weep with remorse.

Well, I was rather exaggerating -- I wasn't quite dropped on my head. What happened was, I was about four years old (I remember this vividly), and my father was tossing me up and down through the air, catching me in his arms each time, while I laughed with giddy childlike joy. My mother came into the room and stared at us for a moment before snapping at my father, "Knock that off! Put her down this instant before you drop her!"

"I'm NOT going to drop her!" said my father, approximately two seconds before he dropped me.

I landed in a heap on top of a magazine rack (one of those little wooden ones). My arm got a bit bruised, but all I did was wimper once or twice about it -- I sort of wanted to cry, but I was too busy laughing at my mother throwing an absolute fit at my father -- who, after frantically making sure I hadn't been hurt, could only smile sheepishly at my mother, who I think was trying to hurt him. It all ended well. :lol:

Another time, when I was much older, I jumped off a swing without looking and landed on my face. But that is another story . . .

~ John Masefield

captainjackisback.jpg

couple of quick suggestions one from the way back files, The first the Horatio Hornblower seris the second the aforementioned Audbrey Martin series. ( Yes I know there both Kings men but really anyone that loves a prize as much as Lucky Jack had to have been a pirate at heart and besides he was a privateer for a time.)

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

I'd like to throw in another endorsement for Sabatini's Captain Blood. Fun pirate fiction, that. I also liked Treasure Island, of course.

Some fellows have written "prequels" and "sequels" to Treasure Island, but I haven't read any. They include Porto Bello Gold: a Prequel to Treasure Island by Arthur Howden Smith, Dead Man's Chest : The Sequel to Treasure Island by Roger L. Johnson, The Curse of Treasure Island (sequel) by Francis Bryan, Return to Treasure Island (very "loosely" a sequel) by Jack Trammell, Return to Treasure Island by Denis Judd, Return to Treasure Island by John Goldsmith, and perhaps many more. There's also some which may or may not be related to RLS' book, like Back to Treasure Island by Harold A. Calanan--I don't have enough info about some of these. Weirder options include "Treasure Island": According to Spike Milligan, which, according to Amazon, includes all the familiar characters plus Groucho Marx!

I'm interested in hearing about good pirate fiction too, if people have more suggestions.

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21