Peter Pan 2003

Lady Elaina

I just got back from seeing Peter Pan. Both Saber and I really enjoyed it and Saber commented it was by far the best Pan yet. It was just as enjoyable for adults as it was for kids. The special effects and artistic creativity were wonderful.

Neverland was awesome!

Hook rocked!

Lots of pirates!

Lots of flintlocks! (Hook has a Queen Anne in an early scene, not sure about the others)

Lots of cannons!

There are swords galore, although the fencers and swordsmen may be a bit disappointed that the sword fights are heavy on the pixie dust and light on actual fight moves as the characters are often in the air during sword fights, little girls fighting pirates etc, but hey, it's Pan! It's supposed to be fun and fantasy, right?

It was dark enough to make it entertaining to adults, and yet not frightening to kids. I think I'd still like to see a more adult version of the tale, with a more malevolent Pan at some point.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

It is by far the best adaptation of the book yet. Hook is menacing, dark and fearsome, but has a beguiling side to the character. For once the mermaids are portrayed correctly and the casting was superb. I particularly liked the assortment of pirates in the crewe, particularly the poxy one. My 5 year old cabin boy was mesmorized as was the adults in my crewe. I give it a big "cutlass up" for quality of story and acting, great swordplay and a really fun Smee.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Dam ye, Cap'n.

Had I been to port 15 minutes earlier, I woulda been there...

Dam ye.....

Arrgh. Avast!

:ph34r:

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

First, let me begin by saying that I love pirates...no kidding! And secondly, I love villains! Jason Isaacs has been one of my favorite villains ever since I saw him as the evil British guy on "The Patriot." Then, he played Lucius Malfoy on "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets." Now, he's playing Hook! Ahhh! Fan me. I've fainted dead away.

Well, I was watching Ebert and...that woman...whoever she is. They were rating movies as either HOT or NOT. They both gave this new version of "Peter Pan" a NOT. I couldn't believe the comments they made! All my life, I've wanted to see a movie in which Peter is not played by a famous (full-sized) actor...or a woman. Now, it comes along, and they squash it with all their powers, just because it's not a stinkin' fairy tale. I'm mad. I can't wait to see it. I just hope I'm not disappointed.

Hell, it's got Jason Isaacs, so at least I'll be entertained while Hook is on screen.

:rolleyes:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Fantastic Movie....go see it and heck wit dem cross eyed critics...I saw it Friday and was enthralled with it.....

Rogue's Pierre

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

And I thought I'd read a positive review by Ebert on "Peter Pan" . . . ah well. Gonna go see it regardless -- and SOON! :rolleyes:

Hmm, maybe I could hit a matinee tomorrow . . .

I am now "Captain Charlotte Savvy." Sorry for any confusion -- I'll only be making this user-name change this once! :)

And I thought I'd read a positive review by Ebert on "Peter Pan" . . . ah well. Gonna go see it regardless -- and SOON! :rolleyes:

Hmm, maybe I could hit a matinee tomorrow . . .

I think it was Leonard Maltin that Charlotte is refering to not Ebert. I guess all those critics look a like. :rolleyes: I saw the review too and wondered if either critic ever read Peter Pan as a kid since most what they were objecting to was in the book and the original stage play that Barrie wrote.

I haven't seen it yet and I am looking forward to seeing since Zorg gave it a six thumbs up. :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Ooops. My bad. It was Leonard Maltin. My honey tells me that he never gives a good review on any movie, unless it's one of those sappy epics that no one ever watches more than once. Unless we're totally mistaken. Anyhow, I can't wait to see Hook as a menacing...pirate. That's what he is; that's what he should be.

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

I took the family to see Peter Pan, and it exceeded my expectations. My kids said they even liked it better than POTC (I wouldn't go that far).

I was blown away to find that, as in the stage production, the part of Mr. Darling and Captain Hook are played by the same person (Jason Issacs). We didn't know this when we saw the movie. My respect for Isaacs as an actor has tripled.

Now... if only some parents would teach their kids how to behave in a movie theater! The film was partially ruined for me by some whining and screaming kids in front of me. My wife had to talk to their mother twice, and it still did no good. I have been taking my kids to movies since they were three-years-old, and they've always behaved.

If you want to see Pan, and don't have children, might I suggest the latest showing?

Must admit, havin directed the Barrie original script, this film is a gem, very true to the dark, sexual, and vaguely disturbing original......

An instant classic.

The Hook is evocative, sympathetic, and wonderfully brutal at the same time.

Wendy........welll

Im waiting patiently fer her 18th birthday.

:)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

I have not yet seen the new Pan, but have heard it's great and look forward to it.

I read some terrible film reviews in London over Christmas, but I think they were written by people who don't know the book. They complained, for example, that Tink was "bitchy." I was thinking, "And you expected?" They also complained that Pan was "a little creepy." I think anyone who never thought that before can't possibly have read the book. They also thought it was "weird" that the same actor was playing both Mr. Darling and Hook! Excuse me? Hasn't that been a stage tradition from the very beginning? (With both practical and interesting psychological motivations, I might add.) Idiots...

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

I havent seen the movie yet, but I was wondering if it was based on the original play or if it added its own spin to the story?

Texas Terror the Flat Land Pyrate -- guitarist abord the land Yacht "Lady Gale"

Wow,

I think whoever wrote that review from London is a "creep" , Some people have written some very strange reviews about Peter Pan, saying it was too risque for anyone under the age of 11.

Wow I find that amazing, this is as true to the book as it ever was, what were they expecting??

Gabrielle

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg

I caught me a showin' of Peter Pan on Christmas day with three of me friends, one of which is a Jason Isaacs fan like me. And I've got to say I loved the film. Not only is Jason the SHEXIEST dread pirate ever, he's just the grea'est Mr. Darling! Darlin' indeed, he is. I say to hell wif the critics, 'cuz I hate 'em anyway, but they've no right to say anything about the accuracy of the film compared to the book.

And yer right, it's been tradition for Hook and Mr. Darling to be played by the same actor. I dun remember when it started, but it was the same in the old '50s(?) play.

A rec to most people who appreciate such films, and indeed for all you pyrates out there! Wendy was a foolish girl for not joinin' the pirate crew. I think I cheered the loudest ou' of anyone when they asked the lass...

Lady Elaina... nice pic in yer sig, btw. :D

Captain Wolfy Wench

I think it was Leonard Maltin that Charlotte is refering to not Ebert.

Naw, it was Ebert that I meant. :) 'Cause the guy did give it a smashingly good review:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_review.../12/122405.html

I do so love reading movie reviews *grins* . . . Anyways, I finally got to see this about a week ago, and wow . . . loved it. Absolutely loved it. No, of course, it's not "Pirates of the Caribbean" -- but it was a really great movie. Jason Issacs was absolutely smashing as Hook -- he played the role with a flair for the dramatic, but he didn't overplay it, either. And there's no denying he's gotta be the sexiest Captain Hook we've ever seen, heh heh . . .

Wonderful movie. I enjoyed a Wendy that was given more to do than be rescued all the time -- and I also liked the fact that it ended with Wendy and brothers simply being returned home; because, if I remember correctly, the play -- I don't know about the book -- ends with Peter Pan coming back to take Wendy's daughter to Neverland, and I never really liked that.

So yeah, it had my approval all around. Looking forward to it coming out on video!

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

Pan's return is, I believe, only in the Barrie play, not the books. This movie seems to be a hybrid of the two, which works quite well in fleshing the thing out visually. :)

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Naw, it was Ebert that I meant.  'Cause the guy did give it a smashingly good review:

Even if he did get Slightly and Smee confused at the end..... :huh:

For any of you big fans who haven't , a great read is the original

"Peter and Wendy" as it was called. I lived the semester of my student teaching in this historic mansion and they had this library that had all kindsa orignial print classics. Peter n Wendy was one of em and I just totally got into it.

And ya know it was more than just a kids book. (It was long, for one thing) I think the new movie is more than just a kids movie. Its ok for kids but its got maturisms in it too so its not like re-telling Disney.

I think most of us scuvies forget that so many childrens stories were originally written with darker parts to them than we have ever been told.

Lots has been shmoozed over in recent decades. Good to see this movie be less-shmoozey :o

I agree with all ya on board that Wendy shoulda gone with hook.

I mean even with Peter returning in the play, she has ta ditch him.

Theres no going back with him. With hook there woulda been an enormous future of adventure. As for all ya ladies, I'm sure James Hook would love to have all ya classy lasses on board (Captain Tito tips his hat to ya) :o

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>