Speaking of TV

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skippy hit the airwaves in the States in 1966 or so.

Ding ding ding. We're not talking about the same show at all! That's what I get for being a younin'. :rolleyes:

*This* is the Skippy that I've seen. Skippy The Bush Kangaroo from 1991

oh yes, Wild America. Gosh, I love Marty Stouffer! Can I blame watching that show as a little impressionable farm kid as the reason that I'm the huge tree hugging hippie today?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Skippy hit the airwaves in the States in 1966 or so.

Ding ding ding. We're not talking about the same show at all! That's what I get for being a younin'. :lol:

*This* is the Skippy that I've seen. Skippy The Bush Kangaroo from 1991

oh yes, Wild America. Gosh, I love Marty Stouffer! Can I blame watching that show as a little impressionable farm kid as the reason that I'm the huge tree hugging hippie today?

In a way we're talking 'bout the same show. The 1966 version had the same theme song lyrics--I know: they've been in me head since me last post! The 1991 DVD is obviously a remake. Ain't the entertainment industry original? :huh:

Speakin' of "true wildlife adventures:" I remember Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom we kids had to sit and watch it every week. My parents thought it was educational--we also had to sit and watch The Ed Sullivan Show. Looking back--the wierd acts on Sullivan were more influential on my warped brains. But I digress:

When I was a lot younger, my family, living in Utah, went to visit some distant kinfolk in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Right across the Missourri river from Council Bluffs was Omaha--and right in the middle of Omaha Was the Mutual Of Omaha Headquarters building. For about two weeks, I had my little brother convinced that was the studio where they made the TV series and Marlin Perkins never really left Nebraska--It was all a big fake. My brother started refusing to watch the show 'cause it was all made up. He had quite a row with my parents, in which, of course I became the culprit. Dad didn't know how to yell at me and keep from layghing at the same time> :huh:

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

we kids had to sit and watch it every
Sunday...

Well we didn't "have" to watch it.... but if was on the Tv (remember once apon a time when there was only ONE tv in the house......)

But....

HEE HAW........

..... Salute.......................

I'm a ah pickin'...........

Hee Haw... gods yes...

Which in turn reminds me of...

Petticoat Junction!

Talk about a show in need of a risque 21st century remake!

:rolleyes:

Irwin Allens shows... Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea... Land of the Giants...

OH! Better yet! Gerry Anderson shows! U.F.O. ! one of my favs! and Space:1999!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Petticoat Junction!

Talk about a show in need of a risque 21st century remake!

;)

Not if there is a God... ;)

Irwin Allens shows... Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea... Land of the Giants...

Has anyone seen that The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne show? I am curious if it was any good. It sounds like it could go either way.

OH!  Better yet!  Gerry Anderson shows!  U.F.O. ! one of my favs! and Space:1999!

That reminds me of Rejec...Project U.F.O. I don't remember it being particularly good or bad, but I sort of remember it. Oh!

Two more also rans: The Six Million Dollar Man and The Fall Guy. - Yep, Lee Majors. Who else had a Steve Austin doll...er, action figure? (I also had Oscar Goldman, Maskatron and I really, really, really, really wanted Sasquatch. My older-younger sister had Jamie and the Fembot (or whatever she was called). Boy, that telescoping eye was just...well, actually, it was just stupid. <_< )

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I liked The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne. It was one of those shows that unfortunately was not played at a good time (my recollection, at least). I'd started watching it because it had several Canadian actors and actresses on it that I was familiar with. It had the victorian "steam punk" thing to it...reminded me just a little of Wild Wild West (but much better in terms of storyline and acting).

ADDED: Meant WWW the movie. I'd caught the show too...very predictable it was. :)

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I'm in my late 40s so I grew up watching a lot of TV, but have a hard tyme with a lot of it any more,even the shows I dug as a wee. Can't stand to watch 'em. Petticoat Junction,Hogan's Heroes,Green Acres,etc. Straight out. Can't handle it.

There are some I still like but rarely see. Some I've managed from bootleggers: The Buccaneers(Robert Shaw), Adventures In Paradise(Gardner MacKay),Secret Agent/Danger Man/The Prisoner(John Drake!),some of the mid 60s Hanna Barbera(Impossibles/Frankenstein Jr,etc). I love the old Fleischer Popeye and Superman cartoons(any Fleischer for that matter), Gerry Anderson marionation(Fireball XL5/Stingray),Treasure Island(Robert Newton). I still grin when I see that stuff. The 70s were a dark tyme for the boobtube as far as I'm concerned. Could be a generational thing.

Fate, I've found as o' late, has raised its ugly head ta' redeem ih'self.......

<_< Wild, Wild West! Jeez, my first husband and I used to guess what would happen to Jim within the first ten minutes of the show...stabbing, hit on the head, drugged, kidnapped, shot...too funny!

I used to like watching some of the day-time talk shows...like Dick Cavet, or Steve Allen.

As a kid, I liked Saturday morning cartoons, followed by serial westerns...loved the 8" cuffed jeans with boots look! NOT! ;)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Hogan's Heroes has stood up pretty well, IMO. The rest of them...I agree with you, flintlock jack. (Green Acres. Oh, the pain. The pain. :rolleyes: ) I used to like those shows when I was young, but don't care for them so much any more. Although they do have a certain slightly infectious, innocent, apple pie quality.

I saw a couple of Wild, Wild West episodes awhile back and, while I really wanted to like them, I just couldn't get into it. They are nearly nothing like the movie (which makes sense). I guess they are missing a hook for me, so I gave up on them.

"Am I not?"

Hogan's Heroes has stood up pretty well, IMO. The rest of them...I agree with you, flintlock jack. (Green Acres. Oh, the pain. The pain. :rolleyes: ) I used to like those shows when I was young, but don't care for them so much any more. Although they do have a certain slightly infectious, innocent, apple pie quality.

You are sounding a bit like Doctor Smith my good man. B)

I think Hogan's Heroes was one of the things that inspired me to be a reenactor in later life.

Get Smart. While I haven't seen it in years, I think it would still be funny. And I Dream of Jeanie too. As well as The Addams Family. Gomez cracks me up. Tish is hot... and she speaks French!!! B) Brilliant stuff!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Speaking of things that didn't age well...

I went out and bought the first season of Macguyver, certain that one of my childhood favorites would still be watchable. After all it was a key influence in my childhood desire to learn how to DO things. And yet, the fact that I now know how to do things is what makes it practically unwatchable for me, that and the mullet. Sigh...

I remember making Jiffy Pop popcorn and watching the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights when I was a kid, Johnny Tremain, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, Herbie the Love Bug, too many to name. It was like going to the movies once a week for me.

May the winds of fortune sail you

May you sail a gentle sea

May it always be the other guy who says "this drinks on me"

http://www.susquehannarangers.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Hogan's Heroes inspired your re-enacting interest? I'd be curious to hear about that one. (Was it Newkirk dressed as an old fraulein with a Cockney-German accent? ) :rolleyes:

Hey, I hear they're going to release season 2 of F-Troop. Hooray! Season 1 must have sold well. I'm looking forward to it.

BTW, I mentioned Tales of the Gold Monkey in a previous post and I notice that Amazon has a sort of waiting list going where they'll email you when it comes out on DVD. I suspect this is actually an interest gage for releasing the show to DVD... If anyone has the power to get it released, I suppose Amazon would be one of the top 2 or 3 entities. So if you, like me, would like to see it released, sign up for the waiting list and they'll supposedly email you when it comes out. It's a show about a pilot of a Grumman Goose in the 30s in the South Pacific with a sort of Indiana Jones flair. It even has a pirate dog. (Come to think of it, I may just change my avatar...sorry Tuco.) Anyhow, if it interests you, check it out at Amazon here.

"Am I not?"

Speaking of things that didn't age well...

I went out and bought the first season of Macguyver, certain that one of my childhood favorites would still be watchable. After  all it was a key influence in my childhood desire to learn how to DO things. And yet, the fact that I now know how to do things is what makes it practically unwatchable for me, that and the mullet. Sigh...

Really? That's too bad. Next to the A-Team, McGuyver was my favorite on-the-spot engineer. :rolleyes:

You know what didn't age well at all? Speed Racer. I loved that show when I was a kid, but boy...it sure looks stupid to me now! I suppose that's how The Wiggles will appear to the youth of today. ("I liked that?!")

"Am I not?"

I was fanatical about CSI:Miami for a while till I realized Horatio Caine shoots more people in a season than the entire Miami-Dade police force does in a Decade. Mythbusters..yes, How It's Made (shows you what a boring geek I am), VH1. That's about it. My DVD player has rewarded me a hundredfold, compared to tv.

Incidentally, I made the financial commitment to cable tv last year , when I saw that the History channel was doing it's docu on Blackbeard.

If there ever is a pirate reality show, which I think I've heard...then I surely gonna do an Elvis on the ol' tube. :rolleyes:

SHIP2-1.jpg

Yes Skippy was from the 60's otherwise how else would I have watched it in the 60'S!!!! :P

One of my fav's as well was The Man From Uncle...I loved that blondie boy...lol :huh:

Oh and also Woody Woodpecker

200px-Birddinner02.jpg

You and my Mom! :huh:

I Love Loony tunes, laugh in, flip wilson, benny hill, blackadder.

There is this new show you all have to see on fx:

The Riches

10 pm Monday Nights It can also be found on ITunes! It is A must see!!

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Kendra! Welcome back!

Caraccioli- strangely the A-Team is stil totally watchable for me. I'm not sure what the difference is exactly but I'd certainly still consider the A-Team to be excellent entertainment. Murdoch was always one of my favorite television characters (can't help but identify with the crazy pilot) with Hannibal definately up there as well.

And Face. Don't forget Starbuck. I think Dirk Benedict was born to play the charming slimeball.

Truthfully, I think the A-Team is great because it is basically a live-action cartoon. (Hannibal was always my favorite. He did most of the planning.)

"Am I not?"

Pardon the randomness...I promise it all really does relate to the subject at hand.

As another of the past-the-mid-40's crowd, can I just say it drives me up the wall to see so many feature film remakes of old TV shows that weren't that great to begin with? Can we please see some REAL creativity instead of just recycling tired old ideas?

Now that THAT'S off my chest...

HBO has done some of the most briliant work in episodic TV lately. "Deadwood" blows my mind. It's so well written and the cast is fantastic - you wind up caring what happens to the characters even when you hate them. I grew up in Montana and visited the real Deadwood gulch many times as a kid, so it kind of hits a soft spot for me. (And when we look at linguistic sources like the '1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue' I think we have to conclude that the language in 'Deadwood' isn't so far off the mark). "Rome" is pretty cool as well. I'm not up to date on either of them though, because I get them on DVD from Netflix.

I love the way the BBC has re-imagined "Doctor Who". I thought Christopher Eccelston was fantastic as the Doctor.

Totally hooked on "The Dresden Files". Love the story lines, and it cracks me up when "Bob" (Terrence Mann) gets some quick inside joke referencing musical theater. I hope I'm not the only one that gets them...

As cheesy as it was, I loved "The Night Stalker" as a kid. Watching re-runs on the Sci-Fi channel makes me laugh my buttocks off. Also, when I gave the re-done 'Night Stalker" a second look on Sci-Fi I realized it was better than I first thought. They were really headed for "X-Files" territory, and it's too bad they didn't get the time to flesh out the overall story arc.

As a kid, I was addicted to the old "Batman" series. Total silliness, and I still get a huge kick out of it. I swear, Eartha Kitt as Catwoman kicked the transition into puberty into Warp 4 for me...

And finally...

I WANT NEW EPISODES OF "HEROES"!!!!

Pardon the randomness...I promise it all really does relate to the subject at hand.

As another of the past-the-mid-40's crowd, can I just say it drives me up the wall to see so many feature film remakes of old TV shows that weren't that great to begin with? Can we please see some REAL creativity instead of just recycling tired old ideas?

Now that THAT'S off my chest...

them.

I aggree, and not to worry my friend. I am working on it!! B)

Kendra2.jpg

"Courage is the decision to fly straight into the flame while knowing the consequences"~ The Adventures Of A Notorious Youth Capt. Hook

By: J. V. Hart

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."~Lao Tzu 490-570 BC

---------

Yes, I am leaving the pub. I don't know when or if I will come back to this port. I will check in from time to time. Until then:

*raising goblet of good cheer*

" To high adventure, and wild romance....long may they endure!"

For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content

Philippians 4:11

Twitter:

TwittKnitter

Facebook:

shanamartin1

Yeah, pretty much the only time I actively decide to watch tv (there are those times when the roommates have it on something distracting) is to watch PBS. I like the British comedies, the history and nature programs, and the Masterpiece theater. I am a true nerd.

Does anyone remember the show "The Young Riders" from a decade or so ago? Kindof a cheesy western, but I still love it, because I grew up watching it, and I loved the characters.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear, and life stands explained." --Mark Twain