Speaking of TV

URGH...mea culpa for forgetting this one yesterday.

The 1980's BBC "Sherlock Holmes" series starring Jeremy Brett. What an absoultely brilliant piece of work that was. I especially loved it when they would build up to a shot that was identical to one of the old Sidney Paget drawings of Holmes & Watson from the Strand magazine. And Jeremy Brett was fantastic, rest his soul.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say, that sounds intriguing. I am adding the first series to my Netflix list to check it out. (My Netflix is stuck. I think my discs were lost in the mail - the usually turn them around in a day or two and it's been a week since I sent them. @$!%&!)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
The 1980's BBC "Sherlock Holmes" series starring Jeremy Brett. What an absoultely brilliant piece of work that was. I especially loved it when they would build up to a shot that was identical to one of the old Sidney Paget drawings of Holmes & Watson from the Strand magazine. And Jeremy Brett was fantastic, rest his soul.

Quite! I think I avoided reading the Holmes tomes in preparation for allowing them to be revealed to me by Brett. His mannerisms and tone of voice are priceless. (I do so enjoy watching people who speak directly and intelligently.)

Although the first show, The Hound of Baskervilles, wasn't quite as interesting as the show that followed for me. Fortunately, I learned from other shows (like Firefly) that you can't always judge a book by its cover.

"Am I not?"

• 2 weeks later...

This Sherlock Holmes show just gets better and better! The world really lost a treasure when Jeremy Brett died.

I most recently watched the show with [sherlock] Holmes' brother, Mycroft, who was played by none other than Charles Grey! Joy unconfined! Let's do the time warp again! And he re-appears in the show several times, so I have that to look forward to.

This really is an outstanding series. I highly, highly recommend it. Highly

"Jealousy? From you Mr. Bond? I'm flattered." -Blofeld, Diamonds are Forever

"Am I not?"

• 1 year later...

I have lately been watching an old b&w western series from the late 50's called Have Gun Will Travel. I don't think I can recommend a show more highly. It is a most interesting adult western where this gunfighter hero (called 'Paladin') travels about the countryside around San Franciso and gets involved in all these people's complicated fights and moral dilemmas - for a price. Paladin is the kind of guy who quote Shakespeare and Cicero...how can you beat that for a gunfighter? Well made, well acted, well written and fascinating. Check it out!

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I remember watching Have Gun, Will Travel, when I was a kid. It was one of my favorite shows. Haven't seen it since then. I'm always afraid that if I go back and watch something I loved as a kid, I'll see it as an adult and wonder what the big deal was, and be disappointed.

Since we haven't had TV in our house in about 15 years, I rent TV series that look interesting. I thought Deadwood was fabulous, and got a kick out of House, for the first two season or so, then it seemed to go flat. Still watching Battlestar Galactica, and waiting patiently for the last season to show up at the video stores.

Firefly I loved sooo much after renting it, I bought the four-disc series.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I still gotta get Firefly..... I saw the first episode with Lady Jax an Weazer, Loved it, so I ordered it offa Amazon, but never got it......

( A also don't have a TV....)

• 2 weeks later...
Here in the Midwest we have a 'retro' tv station. Nothing but shows from the 50s, 60s and 70s. There are a few that I escaped my memory were...

Alias Smith and Jones

and

Laredo

I do remember westerns, but not these.

You're allot younger then me then...

I even remember the Rifleman, Have Gun will Travel, Sugarfoot, Maverick... not to mention vaguely recalling the premier of I love Lucy!

As for the BBC... I adore Lovejoy, Hamish MacBeth, Vicor of Dibly, Ballykissangel.. so MANY great shows on the BBC.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

• 8 months later...

For fans of WB cartoons and old serial westerns, check The Adventures of Brisco County Junior. It stars Bruce Campbell. (Those of you familiar with him already know what you're in for.) Loads and loads of campy humor, absurd pop-culture puns and goofy goings on. Plus they occasionally stick the wonderfully funny John Astin in there for good measure. I got one disc off of Netflix and knew that it was a show made for people like me. Since it only lasted one season, I just went out and bought it. Well worth the price. :D

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Have you ever seen "Jack of all Trades"? Another wonderfully absurd series with Bruce Campbell. And sadly, one that lasted just the one season. Best one liners EVER.

No, but this is the second time it has been recommended. I'll put it on the list. (Is that a Whedon show? I have to confess, I have a thing about Whedon shows that now borders on the irrational. Although it was a series of 4 different Whedon shows that had something I have yet to quantify about them that led to this 'thing'. So I feel self-righteously justified in my estimate as regards my preferences. :D )

Mission_banner5.JPG

Okay, reckon I should be adding me two shillings...

For me, its the British (original) Time Team...in fact, I'm downloading as much as I can from the internet, cuz its a real pain to lay hands on dvds, and they'd be coded for Brit-land, anyway...

'Allo 'Allo...British WW2 comedy whut takes place in Fro...errr...France (occupied). Easy enough to get the dvds for this series, and I've got a couple requested for Xmas...

Whose Line Is It Anyway...again, I'm downloading this from the i-net...the US version, that is.

And looking way back into the past? Wild Wild West, the Prisoner, Wonderful World of Disney (in Color), and...Dark Shadows. Ah, Angelique...why Barnabas chose Josette when he could ha' lain soft o' nights wi' Angelique, I just don't understand...

Damn, thats sharp!

Have you ever seen "Jack of all Trades"? Another wonderfully absurd series with Bruce Campbell. And sadly, one that lasted just the one season. Best one liners EVER.

No, but this is the second time it has been recommended. I'll put it on the list. (Is that a Whedon show? I have to confess, I have a thing about Whedon shows that now borders on the irrational. Although it was a series of 4 different Whedon shows that had something I have yet to quantify about them that led to this 'thing'. So I feel self-righteously justified in my estimate as regards my preferences. :blink: )

No, it's not a Whedon show. :unsure:

RHJMap.jpg

I watched the first couple of the Jack of All Trades shows and...that ain't Briscoe County, Jr. It's ok, but it's a bit too over the top for my taste. (Yeah, I know.)

I like Bruce Campbell when he plays confident and a little cocky - "just under over-the-top." He seems to like to play roles that are swaggering and obtusely oblivious (as he did in the Evil Dead series.) In BC, Jr. he was reigned in a little and played the role heroically and sympathetically where in Jack he's sort of obnoxious and frequently seems to be mugging for the camera. The humor in this show is also a bit too broad for me, the "Ugly American" aspect overplayed and the innuendo kind of overdone IMO. (These are the same problems I find with Bruce's own productions, so I think that may just be Bruce.)

In the same way I like Chuck Jones' take on Bugs Bunny (where an eyebrow lift can convey as much as an explosion in Friz Freleng's BB cartoons), I like Briscoe County, Jr. better than Jack of All Trades. Or maybe I'm over-analyzing it. (Not that I would ever do that. ;) )

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 months later...

Tales of the Gold Monkey - Put them on video for chrissakes!

Yay! They're coming! You can pre-order them on Amazon. (I just hope I like them as well now as I did back when they first came out.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

OK... Mission is one down...

I will (outa fairness) watch two more episodes....

But dang... Bonanza had better writing....

I just ain't impressed... (but like I typed, maybe I will change my mind after seeing some more...)

You know, I have never seen a complete episode of Bonanza. But Brisco County Jr. is nothing at all like the bits of Bonanza I've seen, so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. BC Jr. is basically a campy-action-comedy-western/sci-fi show. It has more in common with Maverick than it does with Bonanza. (I've been slowly watching the Maverick episodes on Netflix. They're fun, but not what I'd call compelling.) Actually, it probably has even more in common with Batman than Maverick!

If you want to talk about more serious westerns, my favorite is probably Have Gun Will Travel. But again, I've not seen Bonanza in all it's fullness - just bits of it here and there on cable on the rare occasion when I have access to cable. I personally prefer the lone hero or hero and sidekick to the family thing. This is probably part of the reason I haven't made it a point to watch them.

Mission_banner5.JPG