Favorite movie quotes

Matusalem

The spell of making, eh? Well, how about:

"Ash naz durbatuluke,

Ash naz gimbatule . . ."

You can just barely hear it during a couple of scenes in the movie, but to those of us who know it, it's like a faint smell of death on the wind . . .

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Mr. Addams:

I be thankin' ye for the comeback. I may never find the story again but I'll never stop living by it. Too many people I know live each day like they have an unlimited supply of them. A fair wind to ye, sir . . . and a fat merchantman!

Blackbead

I've lost count on how many tymes I've watched this film over and over. 'The Wicked Lady'(1945). The scene following Barbara's first excursion at playing the highwayman to regain her family broach lost to Henrietta via the eve's card game. Barbara, being the disguised highwayman in question, is amused by Henrietta's overblown account of the event.

Ralph:Are you sure it was this Captain Jackson?

Henrietta:Oh quite,I recognized him at once.

Aunts Moll & Doll:Is he very dashing? Romantic looking and handsome?

Henrietta:Extremely handsome.

Barbara:How do you know? Surely he wore a mask.

Henrietta:Uh...only a very little one.

Aunts Moll & Doll:Did he make any ungentlemanly advances?

Cousin Agatha:They want to know if he kissed you.

Henrietta:Worse!

Cousin Agatha:Worse?

Aunts Moll & Doll:What happened?

Henrietta:I slapped his face!

Aunts Moll & Doll:Slapped his face?

Henrietta:I said you may take my jewels but honor no man shall touch!

Aunts Moll & Doll:What did he do?

Henrietta:Took my jewels.

Barbara(sarcastically):And left your honor, how fortunate.

Henrietta(slightly rattled at Barb's demeanor):Yes,wasn't it? When I was telling him how disgraceful his behavior was he kissed me!

Aunts Moll & Doll:Kissed you?

Barbara:From his horse?

Henrietta:Uh, well, I...

Barbara(more sarcasm):The horse, like the mask, was probably a very little one.

Henrietta(rising in annoyance at Barb):Barbara are you trying to make a fool of me?

Barbara(gloating in her barbs):Of course not Henrietta, there's no need.(spins away out of scene)

This film is full of great quotes and scenes. The remake with Bates and Dunaway is good also(it's actually a remake of this film,not the book the story was based on),but this version is dear to me on many levels.

Jerry Jackson:Till our next merry meeting....in hell.

Fate, I've found as o' late, has raised its ugly head ta' redeem ih'self.......

Raymond Passworthy: Oh, God, is there ever to be any age of happiness? Is there never to be any rest?

Oswald Cabal: Rest enough for the individual man - too much, and too soon - and we call it death. But for Man, no rest and no ending. He must go on, conquest beyond conquest. First this little planet with its winds and ways, and then all the laws of mind and matter that restrain him. Then the planets about him and at last out across immensity to the stars. And when he has conquered all the deeps of space and all the mysteries of time, still he will be beginning.

Raymond Passworthy: But... we're such little creatures. Poor humanity's so fragile, so weak. Little... little animals.

Oswald Cabal: Little animals. If we're no more than animals, we must snatch each little scrap of happiness and live and suffer and pass, mattering no more than all the other animals do or have done. Is it this? Or that? All the universe? Or nothingness? Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be

Things to Come (1936)

Classic Movie "Captain Ron", 1992:

Captain Ron: [telling how he lost his eye] Yeah, it happened when I went down off the coast of Australia.

Katherine Harvey: Your boat sank?

Captain Ron: No, no, no, no. Not my boat. My boss's boat. Yeah, we hit this reef. Huge son-of-a-bitch. Ran the whole coast.

Katherine Harvey: Wait. The Great Barrier Reef?

Captain Ron: You've heard of it, huh? Smart lady.

Also...

Captain Ron: [to kid] Hey swab. C'mere. Listen up. Now, the way it works shipboard is, you do your job. You do it good, you get a better job. Maybe you get promoted from swab to mate.

[kid nods]

Captain Ron: Alright. Get on it.

Martin to Captain Ron: Sort of an incentive kind of a deal, huh?

Captain Ron: Yeah, incentives are important. I learned that in rehab.

http://www.ThePirateKing.com

Over 180 online biographies of Pirates, Privateers, Explorers, & Buccaneers, along with loads of historical information on Sailing, Shipwrecks & Nautical Archaeology

O Brother Where Art Thou has some GREAT lines:

"You two are just dumber than a bag of hammers."

"I had to be up at that there crossroads last midnight, to sell my soul to the devil. "

"Well, ain't it a small world, spiritually speaking. Pete and Delmar just been baptized and saved. I guess I'm the only one that remains unaffiliated. "

"Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"

"A woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man."

RHJMap.jpg

Awwww... dudes! O Brother has some of the best lines of all time! My favorite scene (yes, I have this quote in my cube at work)!!!

Delmar: Mind if we join ya old-timer?

Blind Seer: Join me, m'son, join me.

Delmar: You work for the railroad, grandpa?

Blind Seer: I work for no man.

Delmar: Got a name do ya?

Blind Seer: I have no name.

Ulysses Everett MacGill: Well that right there may the the reason you've had difficulty finding gainful emplyment. You see, in the mart of competitve commerce --

Blind Seer: You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the fortune you seek. But first -- first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril. Mm-hmm. You shall see thangs... wonderful to tell. You shall see a... a cow... on the roof of a cottonhouse. Ha. And, oh, so many startlements. I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has... vouchsafed your reward. Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation.

That's brilliant! And the music! Whoa! Gotta love that guitar!

gotta youtube it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T555vvfSvAM

YES! Clooney is frickin' awesome in this! Such a cool look!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

My wife and I were doing Old West right around the time this film came out, so every time I went to put pomade in my hair, I'd always ask her where it was, she'd ask me if I was looking for the "Fop" and I'd always return with the "no, I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

:huh:

The stuff I used was actually great... smelled like coconuts!!!

ok... another favorite...

Jeremiah Johnson: Y'ever get lonesome?

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Fer what?

Jeremiah Johnson: Woman?

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads. I lodge-poled her at Deadwood Creek, and traded her for a Hawken gun. But don't get me wrong; I loves the womens, I surely do. But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Is that one of your wife's favorites, too? :huh:

Some movies are just great sources of quotes. Here's one from another good source (an all-time favorite "quote movie source" of mine):

"Dr. Venkman, we believe that the purpose of science is to serve mankind. You, however, seem to regard science as some kind of dodge or hustle. Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy and your conclusions are highly questionable. You are a poor scientist, Dr. Venkman." -Dean Yeager (Ghostbusters)

I also liked the line they replaced "We came, we saw, we kicked it's ass!" with in the first TV showing (before the powers that be decided that "ass" was an ok word for nighttime TV):

"What a knockabout of pure fun that was!"

Knockabout of pure fun! :huh:

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

My wife and I watched "GBs" again for the first time in a loooonnnngggg time the other night and I swear it has some of the greatest lines in comedic history in it:

"Is this true?"

"Yes, this man has no . . ."

ROTFLMAO!!!

Those guys were perfect for those parts but I understand that the movie was originally written for the likes of John Belushi, John Candy and Eddie Murphy. I'm sure they would have been fine but I am SO glad that the film came out as it did!

". . . Cats and dogs living together! Mass Hysteria!"

And, meanwhile, on another continent and thirty years earlier:

"I don't suppose that's a drop of anything wet in the house?

"Help yourself to the buttermilk."

"Buttermilk! The Borgias would do better."

Gonzo: Lord Vile, I've broken Juggers in half, smashed their bones, left the ground behind me wet with brains. There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

-"Blood of Heroes"

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw Monster House last night (which I enjoyed far more than I thought I would) and there were some decent quotes that I thought I'd share.

(In shock) "I've just... murdered a guy!"

"Naw... when it's an accident, it's called manslaughter."

"Oh gross! Whatever disease you guys have I'm sure its got letters and that they make pills for it."

"I paid 28 dollars for that ball! I had to mow ten lawns and ask my mom for a dollar 26 times!"

The almost tuneless song the little girl on the tricycle was singing in the beginning was neat. I may get the CD just so I put it on my iPod. (I have a playlist called "Happy" - it'll fit right in. :lol: )

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg