What are you reading right now ?

Patrick Hand

Kind of a mixed bag here...currently reading "The Franco-Prussian War" by Geoffrey Wawro...and "The Mycenaeans" by Rodney Castleden (2005, so its pretty up to date so far as scholarship and excavations are concerned),,,and just finished "Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go" by Dale E. Basye (with a surprise appearance by ol' Neddy Teach, as Heck's gym teacher). I'm waiting to get hands on "Flint and Silver", and awaiting "The Color of Magic"...the dvd, based on the Color of Magic *and* The Light Fantastic by Pratchett.

Damn, thats sharp!

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Queen's Slave Trader: John Hawkyns, Elizabeth I, and the Trafficking in Human Souls"

A really good read about the birth of the triangle trade and how it was integral to the rise of England as a seapower and a cause of the Armada.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This week I finished off two smaller books.

Kitchen_Confidential02.jpg

Enjoyed Kitchen Confidential. I had trouble putting it down.

If you're a foodie this is well worth your time.

9998.jpg

I was very disappointed by the Sean Astin book.

I found his endless whining to be tiresome.

I enjoyed The Iron Lance so I will start the second book in the series tomorrow.

blackrood_large.jpg

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

I finished up the James Nelson Series "Revolution at Sea" during our July vacation. - Excellent Series

Just read "The Prairie Traveler" by Randolph Marcy - A great reference book written by an Army Captain for the noobs traveling west during American expansion.

Now trying to collect the Patrick O'brien series so's I can make a non-stop run through.

If I can't get the first 5-6 of that series collected, I'll start on "Arundel" and "Lively Lady" by Kenneth Roberts. His "Rabble in Arms" was an excellent read about the American Revolution.

I lean toward the Historical novels (as a break between the slower but more in-depth historical non-fiction).

mad Pete

You may call me Pirate, but I be a learned pirate ;-)

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I finished the first two of Nelson's 'Brethren of the coast' series this summer. Planning to dive into 'The Pirate Round' next.

Teaching Brit Lit this semester, I am currently re-reading Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

I finished the first two of Nelson's 'Brethren of the coast' series this summer. Planning to dive into 'The Pirate Round' next.

Teaching Brit Lit this semester, I am currently re-reading Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales.

Nelson's books are great reads. I bought Pirate Round at a library book sale, It is also excellent. I've been trying to find the hardcover versions of the 1st two books of the series before I read the rest.

Another great series is Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales series of 4 books.

I tend to line them up for future reading. a copy of IvanHoe is calling to me as well...

The great thing is there IS ALWAYS ANOTHER GOOD BOOK on the horizon, just have to sight them!

mad Pete

I

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Just finished reading "Flint and Silver", which I enjoyed and found more true to the spirit of "Treasure Island" than the book "Silver". I am planning on reading Alistair Horne's "The Fall of Paris", and am looking to lay paws on "Achtung Panzer", by "Schnelle Heinz" Guderian.

Damn, thats sharp!

Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell. My most favourite author.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I've been thinking of reading Beowulf. It would fit in nicely with my current dark ages obsession.

;)

Excellent. Since you are just up the road from me, I'll send you our classwork and notes. Do try and keep up. pirate_lol.gif

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

I've been thinking of reading Beowulf. It would fit in nicely with my current dark ages obsession.

;)

Excellent. Since you are just up the road from me, I'll send you our classwork and notes. Do try and keep up. pirate_lol.gif

Heh... I may have taken this class already... like 25 years ago!

;)

Which version are you reading? And do you have a translation you would recommend?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

At the moment I'm in the middle of reading Knife of Dreams, the 11th book in the Wheel of Time series. My most favourite of series! The 12th book is due out next year so I had to catch up on all the going's on.

If you haven't heard of the Wheel of Time series, it's very fantasy based, completely in a different world. Amazingly rich in detail and believable in the world that it's based. Many different characters and story lines to follow! If you like fantasy, you'll love this series! :(

Tiberius "Monkey Arms" McGuillicutty

Funky Monkey Creations

Part One, by Burton Raffel.

I have to see how far I get with those 12th graders. ;)

Yeah, good luck with that. Though I suspect, as always, there are a few who really get it.

I saw The Saga of King Hrolf Kraki at Borders during lunch and was tempted. Sounds like it is related in some way to Beowulf.

My Home on the Web

Stephan Talty's Empire of Blue Water, written in 2007, is a biography of Morgan and partial history of the conflict between the buccaneers and the Spanish Empire.

I'm about 85% complete with it on my second read through it, I read it once quick and then rereading to pull the actual history part as a real knowledge base(first time I read it for the story.)

I truly believe this book did a wonderful job of not going overly "theatre" and "pro-pirate" they said what he did good, what he did bad, who inspired him, what he learned. It's a definate good read for a more neutral take on his life. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a good history book that reads like a storybook.

I picked it up at an airport while my flight was delayed and debated over a few other books they had, I'm glad I went with this one!

signature.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Right been gone a minute so here is a quick pick of the good and one bad.

Seize the Fire by Adam Nicolson, An anthropologist does Trafalger. Good read get it at Dollar Tree.

The Romantic Challenge by Sir Francis Chichester, The Gypsy Moths captian takes on another solo sailing challenge. Great read even if you aint a yachty.

A Field Guide to Left Wing Wackos I forgot who its by and I ain't diggin it out of the Goodwill box to find out! Look I am a red state red neck Wal Mart conservitive and even I thought this book stunk.

In a bid to pick up some of the refrence works that I missed not attending college knocked out Moby Dick, (What is the fuss about and how many times can a man be wrong in one book?) The Kama Sutra, (I could have used that info in high school) and am working on Adam Smiths The Wealth of Nations. Ok so if if reading a 200 plus year old college economics book on your blackberry isn't letting the nerd flag fly what is? LOL

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Lately I have been on a early to mid 20th century pulp fiction kick...

I am currently reading a graphic novel anthology of the Solomon Kane comics (not sure if it is a complete or best of anthology), but I also picked up a complete anthology of the Robert E. Howard "Conan the Barbarian" stories, and an anthology of the best of Edgar Rice Burroughs stories... I've read many of the above when I was a teenager, so I am guessing this is driven by some form of nostalgia.

Michael_banner.jpg

I also picked up a complete anthology of the Robert E. Howard "Conan the Barbarian" stories

All REH's Conan in one volume? Or one of the volumes of the three volume set that is in print right now?

and an anthology of the best of Edgar Rice Burroughs stories... I've read many of the above when I was a teenager, so I am guessing this is driven by some form of nostalgia.

Awesome! I loved ERB as a kid. He was in my top five authors. Maybe even third, after Tolkien and Niven. I have all the Mars stuff, in both paperback and hardback. I love that stuff. So much so that I'm very tempted to purchase these.

My Home on the Web

I also picked up a complete anthology of the Robert E. Howard "Conan the Barbarian" stories

All REH's Conan in one volume? Or one of the volumes of the three volume set that is in print right now?

and an anthology of the best of Edgar Rice Burroughs stories... I've read many of the above when I was a teenager, so I am guessing this is driven by some form of nostalgia.

Awesome! I loved ERB as a kid. He was in my top five authors. Maybe even third, after Tolkien and Niven. I have all the Mars stuff, in both paperback and hardback. I love that stuff. So much so that I'm very tempted to purchase these.

It was a pretty big book picked up off the discount table of the local mega-book store (Barnes and Noble?)... I haven't started reading it yet, so it may not be complete... I just recall grabbing because something on it gave me the impression it was complete. If it is partial, I'll still enjoy it, although I will be disappointed by the lack of completion.. I am a bit of an obsessive when it comes to completion-ism.

I think the ERB Venus series is the one I hooked onto most in my teen years... I think I read one or two of the Mars series as well though.

Michael_banner.jpg

It was a pretty big book picked up off the discount table of the local mega-book store (Barnes and Noble?)... I haven't started reading it yet, so it may not be complete... I just recall grabbing because something on it gave me the impression it was complete. If it is partial, I'll still enjoy it, although I will be disappointed by the lack of completion.. I am a bit of an obsessive when it comes to completion-ism.

I did some hunting. is it this one?

516K2UaCq4L._SS500_.jpg

If so, it does appear to be complete! Cool!

I think the ERB Venus series is the one I hooked onto most in my teen years... I think I read one or two of the Mars series as well though.

I have always wanted to read the Venus books, but 30 years later and I still haven't gotten around to them. I should fix that and read at least one.

My Home on the Web