I HATE SNOW.......

Patrick Hand

Snow is fine if it is in it's proper place, up on the mountain for instance.

Snow that is fresh, scooped and packed into a low glass and saturated with Rum, is another proper place for it.

Just keep it off of my driveway and the roads!

But just to share a trick I learned on how to at least partially thwart the dastardly snow plow drivers.

When I clear the driveway, I also clear 'downstream' from my driveway entrance.

I snowblow as much to the curb as possible and down the road about two to three fathoms (12-18 feet)

Then when the snow plow comes along, there is not that much for it to push forward and over into my drive.

Takes a little longer to do, but usually if I wait until the storm is mostly done and over, they don't get me with that last run that is meant to clear back the shoulder. it also lessens the amount they can plow in, even if it is a long storm and requires one to go out a number of times to clear. Also I think it frustrates the snow plow drivers :blink:

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for offending you hearty Californians who know what snow is. But knowing what snow is and enduring it from November to March is quite another thing. Besides, we're talking about San Franciscans from the late seventies: San Francisco is one of my favorite places on earth, but there were a lot of idiots in that city at that time.

Patrick, I empathize with your roof problems. I had to climb up on mine with a hatchet to break an ice dam that was causing water to leak into my closet and living room. I now need a new roof, new sub flooring, new wall board and new carpet. Insurance will pay for most of it, but it's still a pain in the poop deck.

highres_6845035.jpeg

Craig Browne

Captain

Half Moon Marauders

Besides, we're talking about San Franciscans from the late seventies: San Francisco is one of my favorite places on earth, but there were a lot of idiots in that city at that time.

San Francisco can get pretty darn cold, so people who live there should know about snow. Maybe the ones who said that came from some tropical island before moving to S.F., I dunno.

"The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer in San Francisco" :rolleyes:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

As I'm from NYC but now live in New England. Right now its about 46 degrees which is odd. But then again it could snow tomorrow. I nevr know what to wear, but fall foliage when leaves change is amazing. I just hate the fact people here don't like my "its New England its cold and is snows get used to it attitude". If you don't like it move to San Diego or Florida. And always beware of yellow snow. It ain't natural color of snow.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

DANG..... it's snowing again ! And this is suppose to be a really BIG storm...... :lol:

Well the mystery about the shovel has been sorta solved.....

Before this last buncha snow, Miquell (Carol's ex) used my shovel, and left it somewhere outside the Restaurant ... on the ground... so I won't find it until Spring.... :lol:

SO I was using a shovel I got from Carols.... to dig everything out at the Restaurant...The front steps, the back door, and the other back door to the kitchen.... (The parking lots gets snow plowed.... NO WAY am I (or could I) shovel alla that....)

Friday night Nacho (the cook) sees the shovel I'm using, and tells me that Scottie had lent it to him last Winter, so obviously, Miguell had taken it to Carols... So Nacho was going to take it home with him....

So yesterday, I'm without a shovel.... so now I can't dig everything out....

Because I didn't have a shovel, I couldn't dig out the back door to the kitchen... so Nacho couldn't step outside for a smoke..... :lol:

Last night Nacho tells me that he didn't take the shovel home... He left it outside by the back door....NOW under a huge snow drift from alla the snow that fell offa the roof.....

SO it's snowing again.... wonder if Nacho or Miguell will bring a shovel so one of them can dig everything out, and find at least one shovel... cause without a shovel, I can't dig anything out right now......

As someone once said, you gotta watch where them huskies go...

As I'm from NYC but now live in New England. Right now its about 46 degrees which is odd. But then again it could snow tomorrow. I nevr know what to wear, but fall foliage when leaves change is amazing. I just hate the fact people here don't like my "its New England its cold and is snows get used to it attitude". If you don't like it move to San Diego or Florida. And always beware of yellow snow. It ain't natural color of snow.

ERIS

Damn, thats sharp!

Sorry for offending you hearty Californians who know what snow is. But knowing what snow is and enduring it from November to March is quite another thing. Besides, we're talking about San Franciscans from the late seventies: San Francisco is one of my favorite places on earth, but there were a lot of idiots in that city at that time.

Yes, but keep in mind that most of the "idiots", as you call them weren't actually native San Franciscans - folks from the East Coast, particularly New York, moved out here in droves during the seventies. And even if they were native San Franciscans, it's just not on to call someone from another part of the country an idiot, just like we don't mock folks who move here from other parts of the country and get freaked out during earthquakes. Or non-Californians who insist on climbing up Half Dome when it looks like a storm is brewing, disregarding the large sign that says DON'T CLIMB IF YOU CAN SEE CLOUDS IN THE SKY.

RHJMap.jpg

Don't you just get tired of generalities? In Oregon, we get the "Stupid Californian's" comment all the time. What is ironic is that 80% of the people who live in Oregon, are from California. So, if it snows here, and there is an accident, then someone is bound to say, "Well, those stupid Californian's don't know how to drive in the snow." Bullshit! All of California is not in Southern California...and even if it was, there is still snow in So. Ca. I know. I lived there for 40 years. I drove in snow in the mountains, and in the desert... yeah, it snows in the desert.

Generalities will get you in trouble every time. Better off not to make them. :D

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Hummmm..... maybe th' snow ain't so bad after all.....

My boss's (Carol's) daughter and kids came up from Santa Cruz ter play in the snow.... :blink:

Welll this morning, she (Carol) didn't feel like picking me up for work..... so I get the day off......

Not sure if it's the snow, or the champagne... but th' day off is still th' day off....

Unfortunately, it's snowing again.....

It's gone above dang.... it's now that damn snow.... and when it freezes into damn ice (I wanted to call it something that starts with an F.... but figured th' PG13 monitor would go into shock....)

Finished waRshin' dishes... (got drafted again...) walking home, and slipped an' spilled my rum......

I think damn is very conservative fer some of th' words I was usin'.......

Oh no! Is the rum okay?

It's gone above dang.... it's now that damn snow.... and when it freezes into damn ice (I wanted to call it something that starts with an F.... but figured th' PG13 monitor would go into shock....)

Finished waRshin' dishes... (got drafted again...) walking home, and slipped an' spilled my rum......

I think damn is very conservative fer some of th' words I was usin'.......

Damn, thats sharp!

Maybe you should get yourself a sled? Might be safer on the rum than walking? :unsure:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

A sled wouldn't work up hill on ice.......

I knocked some of the snow off the bank, so tonight, I at least had rough broken ice to walk on instead of the really smooth slippery stuff..... So the rum made it home safely tonight..... :lol:

Oh yeah... there is suppose to be another big icky wet storm coming in at the end of the weekend.......

And I just got the windows shoveled clear this afternoon..... Yeah.... the snow drifts covered both of the side windows in the restaurant..... I've gotta take and post a picture.......

• 2 weeks later...

When I came to work at about 6:00 PM the roads were wet and the snow had not begun to fall. It is now almost midnight and the parking lot is covered and the snow is coming down fast and in large flakes. Driving home at 2:30 AM should be an adventure.

Gah ...and the feking roads will be awful. Southern New Jersey doesn't know what to do with snow. They leave it lay on the streets until it is compressed and can not be shoveled. I miss Western Pennsylvania where they know what to do with snow. You salt it, If it is coming down fast enough you plow it ...you don't leave it under tires of vehicals to become compressed. Seems to me that compressed snow is good for only one or two things and they do NOT include driving. And in this state they don't care much about the tires on your car. My car just passed inspection. My tiers would have never passed in Pennsylvania. My windshield wipers should not have passed either. I got the car "re-inspected" just two days ago and the headlight is out.

Wish me luck on the drive home. As soon as I catch up with the $400.00 of medical co-pays from February I will have to get a few things done on the car. sigh

We missed the Bigge Storme (or it missed us), and we are currently due for some decent weather at last. Currently 41 degrees, due to hit the 50's...and tomorrow a glorious 63 degrees. I'd rather be lapping up the sun down in Florida, but being aground in NE Ohio, I'll take what I can get...

Damn, thats sharp!

It is hard to tell if I am okay. I have been suffeing with a pinched nerve since the end of January. There is some tightness in my left shoulder that wasn't there yesterday but again, it is hard to tell if it was the fall or just the way I laid while sleeping. :lol:

Thaks for asking. It happened on company property, so that may be good. lol

Edited by Silkie McDonough

better have it looked at Silkie, better to be safe than sorry.

Ok summer looks like it's going to hit us early this year...Today it's in the 80's and tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. And warmer down here is hot as hell :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I agree with Black Syren, Silkie. If the tightness lingers more than a couple of days...have a doctor take a look at it. The warm weather is coming your way. The high tomorrow is spose to be in the 50s! Finally... :lol:

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"