The Sealkie’s Hide

Okay, looks like we are fixed for cooking gear.

As to how much itis tough to figure out what to charge since I may not have a complete head count yet. With that in mind...

If you are interested in eating at the encampment & "The Selkies Hide" and have not let me know here please sound of here or PM me.

First figure out yer menu...

Rhum and cooked animals works for me...a spud or two...throw in something green if you have it. No, not something green from the bottom of Maddogge's pot, if you don't mind.

Hey, next year you could plan on salt beef and peas. Every meal, every day. Real sailor food.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First figure out yer menu...
My menu? I'm not cooking.

Maybe Jimmy has the right idea. This is getting to be too much like work. It just happened last year ...maybe I should let it just happen again.

Breakfast, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday (4 days) & Dinner Thursday, Friday & Saturday. (3 days) ...I think I need more cooks. Anyone interested in cooking? Cooks ...what do you want to make?

This is what I was thinking.

Breakfast's will likely be repeated once.

Day's 1&3: COFFEE, oatmeal, ham, fruits,

Option 2&4: COFFEE, eggs bacon, biscuits, & dried fruits.

Fruits, dried fruits, cheeses, will be out all day

Dinner's

chicken, veggies.

Pot-roast

stew the next day.

How is it being prepared? If left to me it will be one pot meals.

Cooks? What do you want to cook? Any suggestions to make it better?

This is something I thought I am willing to coordinate but I know NOTHING about creating a menu or cooking for more than two!

Edited by Silkie McDonough

Silkie Pm Maddogge, he is a wiz at cooking... his cobbler and shepherd's pie are great and both are one pot meals

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Aye, I do plan on eatin' with ye fine folk. And ye not so fine folk as well, I suppose. I can also help with the cookin'/servin' duties as needed. Anything will be a glorious respite from me research and schoolin' activities.

*grumbles about grad school as she departs again.

Hey, next year you could plan on salt beef and peas. Every meal, every day. Real sailor food.

Not necessarily true - they had onions, moldy cheeses, butter, oil, oatmeal and sack-crete - er, ship's biscuit as well. A lot of the food at sea seems to have been a sort of stew made from the salt-beef and the other stuff that was available.

However, when encamped, they ate whatever fresh foods they could get their hands on. They bartered with locals for beeves (I love that word), goats, sheep, they caught fish and ate fresh fruit and vegetables of all sorts. They gathered coco-nuts, breadfruit, bananoes and all manner of foodstuff that grew locally. This saved many sailors from scurvy, but also created all sorts of dysentery issues.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Sealkie, I am planning on bringing the wooden, hinged trash container - but I have a couple of decent sized coolers as well. I was figuring on loading up the back of my SUV with them and refilling them with ice as needed, to keep drinks cool for myself and whomeverelse needed - but if the Hide needs any of 'em, I'd be happy to oblige.

so...i could be helpin out with a cobbler or two??....perhaps even a shepards pie?...and as long as i dont fergit....still plan on bringin some greek/macedonian coffee down as well....

Hey Dogge! I have Hurricane's Rum Punch that I would be happy to trade you for some of the cobbler or shepherds pie.......

Hell, if you cook over by us and I get first dibs on the cobbler, I'll likely keep your tankard full while ya cook....

:P

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

so...i could be helpin out with a cobbler or two??....perhaps even a shepards pie?...and as long as i dont fergit....still plan on bringin some greek/macedonian coffee down as well....

Hey Dogge! I have Hurricane's Rum Punch that I would be happy to trade you for some of the cobbler or shepherds pie.......

Hell, if you cook over by us and I get first dibs on the cobbler, I'll likely keep your tankard full while ya cook....

:P

It's sort of like making a player trade in football -- you have Willie and we'll take Dogge and two cobblers and one shepherd's pie in trade for him along with a quantity of rum punch to be named later.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

It's sort of like making a player trade in football -- you have Willie and we'll take Dogge and two cobblers and one shepherd's pie in trade for him along with a quantity of rum punch to be named later.

-- Hurricane

No offense to Willie, but I'd quit before I gave up Dogge... :P although the Mistress is up for trade... ye can have her...cheap...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

-- Hurricane

No offense to Willie, but I'd quit before I gave up Dogge... :P although the Mistress is up for trade... ye can have her...cheap...

No worries. We have Sir Publix and Master Albertson's nearby to satiate our hunger for sweets (and they don't smell like wet poodle). Plus, oh, the Cupcake store -- that's is a wonderful place to get Key Lime Cupcakes. On second thought, screw the trade -- I forgot about the cupcakes there.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

-- Hurricane

No worries. We have Sir Publix and Master Albertson's nearby to satiate our hunger for sweets (and they don't smell like wet poodle). Plus, oh, the Cupcake store -- that's is a wonderful place to get Key Lime Cupcakes. On second thought, screw the trade -- I forgot about the cupcakes there.

-- Hurricane

Damnation, can't give 'er away! Could I join ye at the cupcake store at least?

Crewe of the Archangel

Hadn't planned on eating outside the camp but also hadn't made plans to be eating at the ordinary either. I had assumed that I would be cooking for us and any who wished t' join us There will be roast fowl and ham a bit of beef roast and perhaps a haunch of venison if my hunting goes well, with assorted other dishes (will try to remain as period as possible, within limits)

I have a 24 qt cauldron and 3-4 dutch ovens so soups, stews and porridges will be there as well as fish chowder if we can get some good fresh local ...

cheese and coarse bread will be available

...a dessert or two will be most likely also make an appearance (gingerbread or scones or perhaps a pie)

coffee and teas will be on the tip all day

kitchen.gif

I had given Silkie a dozen pewter goblets for her "ordinary front" ....There had been no other actual discussion other than it was to be her operation which she didn't want to actually work in ....in the past threads it was said that the different camps would be cooking as camps I had always assumed that I'd be cooking for my camp ...Yes I do have large group kitchen gear and have mentioned it in the past but it was never told to me until this evening that to cook it would now have to be done under one auspices.... what had been spoken of on here was as if there were to be other options besides one relatively small dining fly.

It isn't like Silkie doesn't know how I camp/cook as we have camped together for years and she has seen a large amount of the accouterments we have.

I among others were given the idea that the ordinary was a stage set for Silkie's personae that she needed props for; that it wasn't going to be a working ordinary but a place for pirates to gather during the day and a place to sit and eat/gather for the evenings ...if this was my misunderstanding then I apologize but it wasn't my intent to be the entire camp's chief cook and bottlewasher and as to having plates and serving pieces......

IMG_0169.jpg

PiP is, if nothing else, a very flexible venue. When we get there I am sure that we will all work it out together. 'Tis that sort of place.

Nice collection of serving pieces.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I had given Silkie a dozen pewter goblets for her "ordinary front" ....There had been no other actual discussion other than it was to be her operation which she didn't want to actually work in ....in the past threads it was said that the different camps would be cooking as camps I had always assumed that I'd be cooking for my camp ...Yes I do have large group kitchen gear and have mentioned it in the past but it was never told to me until this evening that to cook it would now have to be done under one auspices.... what had been spoken of on here was as if there were to be other options besides one relatively small dining fly.

It isn't like Silkie doesn't know how I camp/cook as we have camped together for years and she has seen a large amount of the accouterments we have.

I among others were given the idea that the ordinary was a stage set for Silkie's personae that she needed props for; that it wasn't going to be a working ordinary but a place for pirates to gather during the day and a place to sit and eat/gather for the evenings ...if this was my misunderstanding then I apologize but it wasn't my intent to be the entire camp's chief cook and bottlewasher and as to having plates and serving pieces......

IMG_0169.jpg

blahblahb;ah.....you still bringin the Ham????!?! :P

err....i mean Both Hams......(country and the wee one) :P

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

All the camps can share the fire. It will just have to be a BIG fire. lol Maybe if there is need we can have more than one, say 2 fires about 8 feet apart with 8 feet on all 4 sides. I PMed Harry. lol If the encampment has grown enough we may have no choice but to have more than one fire.

This thread is for those wish to share the cooking throughout the camp allowing more “play time” for each.

As I said at the start of this thread back in May this idea was born last year at PiP when we had little shade mid day with the promise of fewer trees, several camps & only one fire. It was inspired by the fact that I was constantly cleaning up after everyone, running to the "well" for water, washing dishes, making sure everyone was hydrated & helping where it was needed at PiP last year. Someone, Sterling I think, that I had the beginnings of an ordinary there. "The Selkies Hide" was not named but the seed had been planted. It is a place for all to gather and use the one fire.

I have been begging for cooks & others to work around the fire for months now. I thought I had placed the request in several places but clearly not everyone had seen it, in fact I got another PM from another cook yesterday after I posted in the “Roll Call 2008” thread. More hands means less work for everyone (including me). I was just offering to make the coordination of meals & workers for the entire PC encampment a bit more streamline. I think everyone would like to have some time for battles & vendors and we must always have someone watching the fire. I can still do my thing …lug water, wash dishes, wait tables, help prepare food, provide "hospitality" to anyone who want's or needs the help and watch the fire and of course …give orders! lol It is PiP after all ...like Jimmy said ...flexibility. Hmmmm… but I'm not as flexible as I once was! :P I haven't been collecting kit for long as the Gunner. Nor do I have a way to get an entire ordinary to PiP If the gunner has fare & kit to share let others partake that is grand. I unfortunately have limited funding, just over 3 years of reenacting & have only one year to incubate “The Selkies Hide” heck …it took me months just to come up with the name! lol

I am NOT as Callenish said "above working in my own Ordinary". I have jokingly said “I own the place I don’t work there” but anyone who has seen me at events knows that I lend a hand where it is needed once I know what is needed.

I don't spend much time around the fire for many reasons.

1.) The first of which is that my garb is not 100% linen or wool, I would really rather not have my petticoats metled to my leg's and I don't currently have the funding to make new just yet.

2.)I don't cook often and have never cooked for a large crowd so I am at a loss as to what is required. Hand me a knife & I can make a slice & dice with the rest of them ...as long as I can sit ...the back surgery helped me but I still get those lower back pains.

3.)I am a ball of heat on my cool days ...put me next to the fire and you may get to witness spontaneous combustion ...especially in my cheapo-need-to-make new-stays!

As to my "relatively small" dinning fly it is only 2 feet shy of the one that Callenish has and is open on 4 sides. (That is unless we do as Sterling once suggested and put his wall tent on the back end of mine then it only has 3 open sides.) I also have a non flame retardant tarp that I was hoping to string up between trees (if we have the space in the Arch Angel's trailer) for additional shade over chairs & blankets (bring your own). Callenish, if you can keep yours open on 3 sides like you do when suttlering we can set up the camps side by side, say a good 16 feet between them allowing between 6 to 8 feet on either side of the fire. That way when the encampment is open you can display your arms when there are visitors and convert to a “dinning room” after hours. Maybe we can make it a "merchants" row. Any other PC "merchants" want to join us?

As to knowing how you (Hugh) like to camp/cook, I have only been camping with you at modern events or as a suttler. Our two years at Hampton were so busy with selling that we barely had time to feed ourselves let alone the masses. The one time we went to Fort Ticonderoga together we were certainly not the ones playing host & hostess. I know you have the equipment and honestly, I had been hoping that you would volunteer to take a meal or months ago. I figured that if you were going to entertain the way you always have said that you wanted this would be perfect for everyone involved. Honestly, I am saddened that you won’t be one of those cooking for the PC encampment. Heck …the tables at the ordinary this year will be very NON PC park picnic tables because I am just starting.

Edited by Silkie McDonough

Callenish, unless Harry has changed his mind since last year there will be only one fire.

We were allowed more than one fire, but we had to clear them before hand. We intended to make one in the Mercury camp, but as we kept gravitating to the other fire pit, a second seemed less important. Also, it was easier to maintain and regulate, so the limit of fires is probably a good idea.

I hate not being there this year.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg