Double Guns

CaptainSatan

Damn those are some fine looking pieces . ., What is that 3rd piece of silver to the right Capt. Sterling the rectangular piece? Does it hold primer?

Good question, not actually sure and not getting much information on it other than they are a pocket set of gun tools... will hunt some more!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Harbormaster, those are not doubles, those are quads! Damn, those are the first independently fired four barrels I have ever seen.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Yes ...., NASTY isnt it :huh: These have a rotating quad barrel and were built in Prussia for Catherine the Great. Not exactly GAoP but interesting never-the-less and pretty much the same as GAoP technology.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

OK, I need construction details on those. Any help there, HM?

I also need to learn how to weld. Shaping I can do, engraving I'm getting better, but I need details on lock and frizzen spring set up to replicate those.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Clipped from another thread about oddball cannons, but a double gun nevertheless.

Double Cannon

doublebarrelcannon1.jpg

One of Athen's most prized possessions, the famous Double Barrel Cannon, was cast at the Athens Steam Company in 1862 and today stands on the lawn of the City Hall in Athens, Georgia. The Athens Steam Company was renamed the Athens Foundry and Machine Works in December 1863 and most reports name the Foundry as the site of manufacture. The Cannon is a double six-pounder, cast in one piece, with a three degree divergence from the parallel between the barrels. Each barrel has its own touch hole so it can be fired independent of the other and a common touch hole in the center is designed to fire both barrels simultaneously.

The idea was to connect two cannon balls with a chain and mow the enemy down like a scythe cuts wheat. The gun is four feet eight and one-half inches long, the bore is three and thirteen-hundredths inches and the gun weighs about thirteen hundred pounds.

The gun was designed by John Gilleland who has been identified as a local house builder and mechanic, a Jackson County dentist, a private in Mitchell's Thunderbolts and as an employee of Cook's Armory. The Cannon was financed by a $350 subscription raised by 36 interested citizens and the casting was supervised by Thomas Bailey.

The Cannon was taken out on the Newton Bridge Road in April 1862, for test firing. The test was, to say the least, spectacular if unsuccessful.

According to reports one ball left the muzzle before the other and the two balls pursued an erratic circular course plowing up an acre of ground, destroying a corn field and mowing down some saplings before the chain broke.

The balls then adopted separate courses, one killing a cow and the other demolishing the chimney on a log cabin. The observers scattered in fear of their lives.

Some reports claimed two or three spectators were killed by the firing. The reports of the deaths have not been substantiated. The Watchman promptly reported the test an unqualified success.

3ff66f1f.jpg

I also need to learn how to weld. Shaping I can do, engraving I'm getting better, but I need details on lock and frizzen spring set up to replicate those.

You have your first client. I'll take two.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Sir William..., me too!., they are in a Russian Museum..., they are pretty cool.

I am with ya Captain Jim ....,

2Barrel6lber01.jpg

2Barrel6lber02.jpg

2Barrel6lber03.jpg

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

You have your first client. I'll take two.

Me first...and not this year, I fear.

3ff66f1f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Here's an update.

PDBF_proto_top.jpg

Twin 8" .62 cal barrels

This is the prototype for a double flintlock pistol from Middlesex Village .

I have no idea when this weapon will be available to public. It seems a little post period for GAOP. But it would make a great HPW (Hollywood Pirate Weapon).

For more information and photos go to their website.

Double Barreled Flintlock Pistol

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

I have the Middlesex double barrel flinty pistol. Nice gun for the price. LOOOOOONG waiting list. The Calenish Gunner may have 1 or 2 for sale immediately ( wonder why he dinna post about them).

That quad pistol has also fired my envy!

That double barrel cannon is about the stupidest thing imaginable. I would want to be in the next county, in back of the cannon, when it was fired. LOL sometimes the ignorance of our forefathers is astounding.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

I too have the Middlesex doubled-barreled pistol....got to even fire it a few times this weekend at port washington....had to before a GREEDY CAPN (not mentioning any names Sterling)...wanted to shoot em for one of the scenarios....also lent it to a fellow pyrate...bLOODYjACKmAD... shot fairly well...up to the point it chained fired....dont know who was more surprised...me...BloodyJackMad...Me Brother Billie standing next to him...or the Audience watching him....but DAMN did it make for a nice BOOM :ph34r:

just might rig it ta chain fire ALL the time...... :o

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Well, I suppose something dramatic is bound to happen if you carelessly sprinkle grains of powder across the top of the barrel when you prime from the same cartridge...

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum