Double Guns

CaptainSatan

Anyone have any information on double barrel flintlocks(both pistols and long arms)? I know of a good custom gunsmith here in the Texas Republic, but I's hopin' to find some decent factory or Indian sweatshop weapons to save me some pennies fer me grog.

Also have an eye out fer a duckfoot. I've seen the kits far the three barrel caplocks, but not any flint or doglocks.

-Captain Satan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

They're interesting, and pretty: but personally, I'd be leery of actually shooting any firearm that's got sparks flying about that could ignite the load in more than one barrel at a time. <_<

Capt. William

Not that big a deal...

You're already aiming the weapon and intentionally firing at least one barrel.

-CS

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

i have a rotating twin barreled pennsylvania rifle with twins pans and frizzens but a single hammer ...i have fired it about 75-100 times over the years and have never had a secondary ignition from firing one barrel with the second one loaded ..i first fired it on a range a dozen times or so to make sure i had the process down correctly .....and with the exception of a few flashes in the pan it has fired flawlessly ;););)

pix392194844.jpg

Hugh,

What's th' year on that Penn's Woods Rifle?

I love it!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

They're interesting, and pretty: but personally, I'd be leery of actually shooting any firearm that's got sparks flying about that could ignite the load in more than one barrel at a time.  :lol:

Capt. William

Not that big a deal...

You're already aiming the weapon and intentionally firing at least one barrel.

-CS

Good point.

It would give a hard kick, though. ;)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

i have a rotating twin barreled pennsylvania rifle with twins pans and frizzens but a single hammer ...i have fired it about 75-100 times over the years and have never had a secondary ignition from firing one barrel with the second one loaded ..i first fired it on a range a dozen times or so to make sure i had the process down correctly .....and with the exception of a few flashes in the pan it has fired flawlessly :lol:;);)

pix392194844.jpg

That's good.

What length are the barrels on yer rifle? ;)

Capt. William

it was made sometime in the late '50's with a barrel length of 42 inches ...got it from a local fellow in a house auction; he told me that his brother had made it for him..i bought it for $650 in 2000

What have the barrels been shortened to, Calenish? :lol:

Capt. William

Anyone have any information on double barrel flintlocks(both pistols and long arms)? I know of a good custom gunsmith here in the Texas Republic, but I's hopin' to find some decent factory or Indian sweatshop weapons to save me some pennies fer me grog.

Also have an eye out far a duckfoot. I've seen the kits far the three barrel caplocks, but not any flint or doglocks.

-Captain Satan

1. Most of the extant double pistols are based on Rifle Shoppe kits of a French original. I think the cheapest built-up one I've seen was in the neighborhood of $700.

2. No Indian-made copies to date, as sweating the two barrels togethor doesn't seem cost effective.

3. There was a Spanish firm about 30 years ago that offered duckfoots in boxlock flint, but they're few and far between now.

Dances for nickels.

hum I made molds for the action on a gun like this for a maker in PA. I cant remember his name but I do still have waxes. I was planning to dress up the waxes before casting with skulls and bones I could later set rubies into once cast in metal.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I'd love to touch base with the maker again

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious if it would even be possible to convert this caplock

Dang... look where the nipples go into the barrel..... just changing the locks and adding a touch hole.... just wouldn't work................. the nipples are on the top of the barrel...... you couldn't fix /fit a flintlock to work.......

I'm curious if it would even be possible to convert this caplock

Dang... look where the nipples go into the barrel..... just changing the locks and adding a touch hole.... just wouldn't work................. the nipples are on the top of the barrel...... you couldn't fix /fit a flintlock to work.......

Yeah, you're right. It's never easy :lol:

-CS

guns_boobies2.jpg

If the drum and nipples were on the side of the barrels, then you could just un-screw then... and replace them with a touch-hole liner and new locks.....

I could be wrong, but like I typed, it looks like the nipples are on the top of the barrels, and not the sides......

A good pair of small left-and-right flintlocks will set you back about $250, then there's whatever work you (or someone you pay) will put in on top of that.

Side-bolster double-barrels in 20 or 12 gauge can be had, mostly Belgian-made and stripped off of old shotguns, but you need patience to find them.

Building a double-pistol requires alot of the skills found in this book

http://store.scurlockpublishing.com/index....WPROD&ProdID=22

Dances for nickels.

DOUBLEBARRELS.jpg

Here's an original pair from early GaoP, circa 1686-1691. Double barreled pistols signed DOLEP LONDINI. Andrew Dolep was a Dutch gunmaker, who came to London about 1680, was made a freeman of the Gunmakers Company. His mark is AD under a star stamped on the barrels. Gunmaker to Prince George of Denmark, Consort of Queen Anne, Dolep produced several unusual pieces including a combined airgun and flintlock gun, and a fowling piece firing two superimposed charges, now in the Royal Armoury, Turin.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Damn those are some fine looking pieces . ., What is that 3rd piece of silver to the right Capt. Sterling the rectangular piece? Does it hold primer?

but mine are called pistons

And after capping them, and hitting them with the hammer to fire your balls....... they really would be......... 

Next we can joke about ball pullers and nipple wrenches........ 

B)B)B) I cracked up when I saw this one :) It had ta be painful livin back in the day., yea? Whoooo-man B)

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I knew I would find these on my drive if I looked hard enough.

4Barrel01.jpg

4Barrel02.jpg

4Barrel03.jpg

4Barrel04.jpg

Now isnt that about a tastey a treat ! B)

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"