Shirt Closures

Jack Roberts

If you're using heavy fabric make sure to use a thick or doubled thread. I can't tell you how many times I've been nearly finished with a button to have the darned thread break!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

It's a shirt, Chole. The fabric shouldn't be heavy.

yes, but you never know where else you might decided to apply those button making skills once they're learned :lol:

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Carpet thread.... thick heavy stuff..... and at the worst times ... yah... sht ..it still breaks......dang.. I can break CARPET thread..........

that kinda thing happens....

But I still use some coulurfull words then...................

Your millage may vary..................... :blink:

I really wouldn't recommend carpet thread for sewing a shirt.

Linen thread -- pulled through beeswax before use -- is the best thread. It's durable and strong and fairly moisture-resistant. Use small lengths so you won't put so much strain on the thread. The more times you pull it through the fabric, the more it breaks down. So use short lengths.

You have to adjust your sewing technique for the different fabrics you use. Threads break because of bad technique -- I always do it when I switch from silk to wool because I forget to adjust myself. One of the joys of handsewing is that you can make small adjustments like this. You can't do that as precisely with a machine.

Doubling the thread or using a thicker thread to make up for your lack of adjustment is a mistake. Be more careful with your thread. Be gentle with it. Don't tug on it like you're uprooting weeds.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!