POTC -> "historical" Dates?

Tartan Jack

I can't seem to find the answer, so I'll have to start a thread to find out:

What years is POTC supposed to take place in?

Curse of the Black Pearl?

Dead Man's Chest?

(not long after CoBP, a year or 2?)

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

oh, oh I read an article where they analyzed the date for POTC1 based on clothing styles, ships & weapons. The conclusion....

There is no "historic" date.

It was something like a 200 year variation on the things that had any historic background to begin with. Then of course there is a lot that is pure modern fantasy.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Just figured I'd ask.

I am usually pretty good at figuring this out. I was confused, so I wasn't the only one.

I was "informed" that it was supposed to take place in a certain range of years, but couldn't get anything to line up where it made any sense. The main "elements" seem to come from Morgan's buccaneers to the Nassau exiling period (wide in itself).

It seems a more "Hollywood Chronology" (like some other "period" pieces, where people of different generations are shown as contemporary).

Seems I was right and they were wrong!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I WIN!!! I WIN!!!!

(Thanks for :lol::lol: reactions!!!!!)

Generally I thought (give and take the other "historical influences")... t'was around 1740's. Loosely. VERY loosely. Considering that on their official site at one time mentioned Barbossa to be the most feared priate since Blackbeard. And the GR on the buckets on the Dauntless. Somewhat the attire....

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Of course, writers could intend one date and the set decorator another, costumes, models, etc. yet another.

My uncle works in films (director of photography), 2 cousins and brother went to film school, and all of us are movie nuts/nerds.

So, I at least understand some about the film industry and the confusing of historical things.

Accuracy is a usually VERY questionable, unless the producer/director/designers/all else work REAL HARD at acccuracy.

Kipar has kinda addressed what year POTC (the original) took place.

You can find her site HERE.

Additionally one reminder Port Royal, at least a major portion of the city, went down into the ocean in 1692. Then there was a major fire in 1703 and in 1722 it was hit with a hurricane. So trying to figure out what year based on Port Royal would put it before 1692. Tortuga on the other hand, was a prime pirate haven around 1640ish.

Based on the clothing, that would range between 1680 to 1780. Based upon the rating of Commodore, which wasn't really an official rank, I believe that didn't even happen until after 1780 as I can not remember exactly what year that occurred. Based on the EIC, it could be anywhere from 1660 to 1760.

The thing to remember is that POTC although cute in nature, and wonderful a pirate movie was made, is ultimately nothing more than a work of Hollywood fiction that encompasses the enitre era of pirates in the Caribbean, hence its name. (Although I believe the more appropriate title would be The Tales of Jack Sparrow vs Pirate of the Caribbean.)

Hmmm Tales of Jack Sparrow...the Disney channel should do an offshoot of that on their channel. Kinda like the old Daniel Boone show or something like that.

Tis an idea.

For the love god NO! It's bad enough they've already "kidified" him in books for children and the like. Disney must learn to stop screwing with good things. Make the movies...leave it at that. Don't need a TV spin off or anything like that. Nothing good can come of it...not in this day and age. Maybe 10 years ago, but not now.

I agree. Star Wars got too muppety floppy.

I thought the Davey Jones and the Flying Dutchman were outstanding and creative and not silly at all. They fit legend come to life. If you've ever studied Marine biology they did an outstanding job on all the little creatures and crustaceans. The entrance of Davey Jones was fabulous. Not overstated at all. Only thing was the guy with the lantern which reminded me of the candlestick from the Little Mermaid. I liked that they added a darker edge to Jack Sparrow (yes let him shoot stuff and run someone thru) and I watched the bit with Norrington in the pub twice the first time I saw it. As well as the first scene with Gibbs woagh! kinda just wanna hang out with him on yer darker days no? Kudos! no floppity pirate movies.

Sponge Bob is already here. (Which by the way I love-I want to live in a Pineapple under the sea and take the bus to Rockbottom sometimes lol)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

When I was picking the weapons for 2 & 3, I asked for a time period. I was told something like 1724, but by the same token, I was told to pick weapons of any period pretty much, as long as they were cool looking. So there you go. Really, I wouldn't worry about it. I stopped obssessing when I got my first paycheck. Originally, they were going to have Capt. Kidd and Blackbeard as contemporaries. They knew it wasn't true, but it made a good story. Time periods in most productions are more of a guideline. You must realize that you have a story with undead pirates, giant squids, still beating hearts, a ship that sails underwater, a triple-barreled cannon, etc. Worry about time period? I don't think so.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Well first to be fair, this is not my area of expertise..I am a lover of cartoons. I grew up on Sunday morning Warner Bros for years with my dad laughing right alongside. I always used to wonder why he'd be rolling when I only found it amusing. Then as I got older I realized the layer of adult humor present even in the new ones below.

I love a lot of todays cartoons (Fosters, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Oddparents, Spongebob, Ed ed n Eddy etc) Im glad theres a channel for kids so you know its safe if they turn it on.

Now. That said. Jack Sparrow's personnae is filled out by heavy drinking, carousing, lying, stealing, shooting stuff, wielding a sword and proudly supporting "do what you want to do because you want to". Not a childs role model. Or Gibbs ondeck with his bottle? Oh yess gotta have one day in my life that feels that wicked.

Davey Jones and his henchmen sllitting the throat of a man praying for his salvation? Not for kiddies. Let the grownups have their fun. Shirtless pirates, stolen kisses and all. Whoooo! thank you Disney for adults!!

I am 100% for a Pirate cartoon, could even be an alternate Sparrow type who embodies the good guy deep inside, funny, silly portion of the character. Or a Pirate kind of Captain Kangaroo (another great children's show gone) would also be great. Why not give some of the talented upcoming people in the industry a chance to create something new? Why not give the kids their own hero? Sure you'll lose alittle merchandising money, but which is more important? Which could also teach about history? How about a pirate that sails around through time and meets the founding fathers and other historical figures and has educcational adventures with them? I would watch that myself! You could still throw in humor etc.

I always thought trying to make the Hunchback cuddly was a mistake, McDonald's plush toys and all. I feel the same way here. Plus, like I said let the grownups have their own heroes/villians. They're tasty to be sure..but shouldn't be on the kiddie table.

Jenny C

Looking back..you did. But I assumed from your comment you meant from this movie. Especially with Mad Eyes comment. I may stand sort of corrected, but still I agree with him. Leave it for the bg kids.

I am a lover of cartoons.

Jenny C

Speaking of cartoons and PIRATES!

My foster daughter used to love Peter Pan and the Pirates I always got a kick out of it because Captain Hook was voiced by Tim Curry.

-CS

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

I thought the Davey Jones and the Flying Dutchman were outstanding and creative and not silly at all.

I did like Davey Jones but some of his damned crew of cursed sea monkeys looked like refugees from the bloody Power Rangers.

Me thinks that Dead Man's Chest would have been a much better film if they would have had a completed script before they started filming.

A pox on sea monsters, bring on the doxie mermaids.

-CS-

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Tim Curry should do more work....I have always enjoyed him since Rocky Horror!

Ironically he played a pyrate in a terrible childrens film that was shown on the Disney Channel. Twas woefully wretched and painful to watch.

Had to drink several pints of rhum and wash me own eyes out with soap after merely catching a glimpse of it. :D

-CS-

guns_boobies2.jpg