Pirate Fashion -- Anna Sui

Hester

It's been my experience that it depends on your point of view...

Not everyone is genetically disposed to be thin. Some folks could starve themselves almost to death and not get that thin - different body types, ya know. Other folks might have the right body type, but are too busy - making a living, raising kids, etc., to be able to maintain that kind of figure. For them, staying that slim takes more leisure time than they have. And a lot of those skinny models pay a big price to stay that thin so they can look good in fashions (e.g. drugs, throwing up...) Most women are not willing to pay that price.

Also, any mother will tell you that childbearing can make some major changes to the body that no amount of diet and exersize will erase. Are they "sloppy" because they don't have the time nor money to get surgery to make themselves "trim"?

Also, any woman of a certain age can tell you that perimenopause and menopause can wreak havoc with your body and metabolism. Many a formerly trim woman has suddenly found the phrase "rude awakening" very apropos.

The greatest swimmer in history (as in she has broken all distance/speed records and has swum in places that most folks couldn't dream of tackling) is Linda Cox. This woman can swim circles around every other person on this planet and she's nowhere near trim - zaftig would be a better description. But, she's incredibly healthy and fit. Being healthy, regardless of your genetic makeup or body type, seems to be most important.

Just my $.02

RHJMap.jpg

Hey, I knew my Antwear would come back into vogue eventually! :ph34r:

No, I wouldn't wear it now. I looked cute in it when I was 18, but now that I'm old enough to have an 18-year-old of my own, I couldn't quite carry it off as well. :rolleyes:

Ah, those halcyon days of Adam Ant, Bow Wow Wow, Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren. I remember them fondly.

And speaking of genetic body types, when I was 18, I couldn't get myself to weigh less than 150 and no smaller than a size 12. I was lean and my face looked gaunt (I'm 5'10"). I never understood how those beauty queens could be my height or taller and weigh less than 110 or be size 6. :rolleyes:

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Not everyone is genetically disposed to be thin.
Many a formerly trim woman has suddenly found the phrase "rude awakening" very apropos.

Not a Woman... but as I've gotten older, I'm not as thin as I once was..... but I'm still sorta thin.... my genetic make-up.... I'm also tall... 6'3", So I prefer a woman with almost the same body type.... (OK... I still like them on the skinny side.... :rolleyes: ) Women do tend to take better care of thier bodies than men do... Hey, I don't make up the social rules for this sorta thing..... :rolleyes:

I'm just stating my preference for a physical body type.....

Now the squishy grey stuff between her ears is a compleatly different arguement..... :ph34r:

Let's see... perhaps a fashion that requires help assembling? Patrick has already said that he's willing to step up and help whenever needed... :ph34r:

And go ahead, mock my taste for this but I really do like this look. I think it's the striped pants. I like the jacket too, though.

west300x20a.jpg

It's really hard finding decent striped fabric for trousers. I made myself a pair out of blue and silver striped silk, but I want more!

RHJMap.jpg

Black Fox..bravo on yer frock coats those are a prize indeed..yer missus does some fine handiwork there!!!!!

Gals...I found another website that had a pirate purse..if you look further down the page there is another one..that has something naughty words on it..ifn you want to express yerself that way...lol

Pinups Adornments

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Here we go, Ladies! No matter what size ya are... YOU model a modern day pirate inspirated outfit! Don't matter how long it takes.. then post it here or on Way To A Pyrate's Heart. How's bout it?

Ditto with ya Gents! Model what ye can come up with! We'll prove to those pinheads and pencil necks and chicken legs that real is beautiful!

Lady Barbossa, did you start a thread for this?

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Good man. A good, trim physique is important.

Letting oneself get sloppy is just.....wrong.

I once had a housemate who would consume homemade ChexMix in quantities that would easily fatten (not to mention eventually kill) two of me. Nor did she exercise, and yet she retained her twenty-two-year-old modelesque physique with no apparent effort on her part.

My wife eats like a penitent and exercises regularly, and has trouble bringing her weight down to where she would like it (though she looks fine to me). Her sister does neither and is a rail. It's been like that for both of them their whole lives.

"Letting oneself get sloppy" is just....an oversimplification.

(Oh well...off to the weight bench for me...)