Pirate Fashion -- Anna Sui

Hester

This month's edition of Harper's Bazaar notes that designer Anna Sui's Spring collection takes inspiration from pirate garb:

anna-sui-bazaar.jpg

You can see the whole collection on Sui's website:

http://www.annasuibeauty.com/site/fashion_shows.htm

The video of the runway show is particularly good, as the soundtrack starts off with Bow Wow Wow's "Louis Quatorze", suggesting Sui was probably inspired more directly by Vivienne Westwood than Jack Sparrow. And the final song is Johnny Thunders' "Pirate Love". Brilliant!

I wish I could afford this stuff and had a place to wear it.

Instead, old punk that I am, I'll probably just give a nod to the style on a more street-functional level, cobbled together from the consignment shop and the notions department.

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Some of it I liked and some of it I did not like. Funny that they brought back the footless leggings...me and my gal pal used to have a ton of those back in the 80's. For 2006 christmas she gave me a pair....ready to experiment when it gets a touch warmer.

article...pirate influence on fashion... fashion article

OH and I just found this...this is so cute!

Pirate Handbag

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

article...pirate influence on fashion... fashion article

OH and I just found this...this is so cute!

Pirate Handbag

Great purse, Alyx! I covet it!

And Black Hearted Pearl wrote:

>>>This fashion designer is a little slow on the uptake and inspiration. Gwen Stefani's line "Lamb" had better pirate-inspired style in last year's line.<<<

Well, Pearl, I doubt Anna Sui would ever claim to have invented the pirate-punk style -- this is merely her own interpretation of something that's been percolating through fashion for at least the last quarter century. Sui's choice of Bow Wow Wow as the soundtrack for her runway show was clearly a nod to Vivienne Westwood, the doyenne of pirate-punk fashion in the early 80's. And as the blog entry Alyx posted points out, designers such as Betsey Johnson, Alexander McQueen and [as you noted, Pearl] Gwen Stefani have also explored this fashion theme in their own unique ways.

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

Hester,

I had found this article earlier and did not add..

thought you might like to glance it over...

Article on 80's fashion/pirate

oh and I just found this...(reminds me of another purse I saw last year with more of Sailor Jerry's tat's on it...this also looks like a Sailor Jerry tat...but it does not reference Sailor Jerry)

Pirate Purse/Handbag

I am pretty darn good at painting myself...I think I may pick up a tote bag and paint my own pyrate lass (Sailor Jerry style) onto one myself...another one of my projects to add to the list.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Hester,

I had found this article earlier and did not add..

thought you might like to glance it over...

Article on 80's fashion/pirate

oh and I just found this...(reminds me of another purse I saw last year with more of Sailor Jerry's tat's on it...this also looks like a Sailor Jerry tat...but it does not reference Sailor Jerry)

Pirate Purse/Handbag

I am pretty darn good at painting myself...I think I may pick up a tote bag and paint my own pyrate lass (Sailor Jerry style) onto one myself...another one of my projects to add to the list.

I remember that - in fact, a friend of mine and I had a party themed with this trend in mind back in the early 80's. I was a pirate captain.

I actually dig this look:

west300x20a.jpg

RHJMap.jpg

:lol:

Oy! We can show these buggers REAL piratical fashion! Hmm... ::ponders::: I think whoever can do this... pull a Gidget and crash a fashion show... show them REAL Pirate Fashion. These horrible knock offs are HORRIBLY BAD!!!

If I had the body for it... and the time... I'd do some modelling of REAL good tasteful piratical fashion for the modern age. Nothing like that horrible stuff you saw above. Course... I suppose I still could and would fit women of all sizes.

Frock coats, vests and waistcoats... the flamboyant shirts... and of course, the demins of your choice! :lol: Or something else more flamboyant... footwear would be key, too. Not th' BS ya see now.

Jewelry & headwear in a decent appearance, too.

Perhaps I'll doodle some ideas up here and show ya. :lol: Some

ll be familiar but still will work.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

:ph34r::ph34r: I so do not sew very well..Though i did sew my own garb..But still I could take Trash bags and superglue and make my own fashion line.. I could title it the GLAD Pirate.... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Aren't ya GLAD t' be a pirate!!?! :ph34r:

Could use duct and/or electrical tape, too.

Makes ya wonder about those who make our fashions, doesn't it? :ph34r:

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Aye... aye...

but think of all the wall decos you can use, too! Stick them on the glad as a nice pattern, trim it in matching electrical tape or the silver duct tape. :ph34r:

It would be FAR nicer than what you see on those bloody runways!

~Lady B

Patrick...I think these Models 'll need extra padding first. Besides, you might get thown into the slammer for messing around with minors. Most of these models are no older then 18!!! I bet ya most of them are 14.

Sick... isn't it?

Here we go, Ladies! No matter what size ya are... YOU model a modern day pirate inspirated outfit! Don't matter how long it takes.. then post it here or on Way To A Pyrate's Heart. How's bout it?

Ditto with ya Gents! Model what ye can come up with! We'll prove to those pinheads and pencil necks and chicken legs that real is beautiful!

~Lady B

yeah..Way too skinny! As if a reall woman is that skinny..Ok well if they are the barbies of the runway maybe..But Fashion should be enjoyed by all..Just...not...that...Fashion!

Maybe someone should send the Designer a link to You and yer garb?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

My beautiful stitch witch of a wife is (as I type) formulating the pattern to make her man (i.e. me) a new black pyrate coat fashioned after this version of Captain Hook:

1075907.jpg

She loves a challenge and previously had crafted this coat (what I wear presently):

00ee7a177ae200842bdafa14f834654f-.jpg

Very nice, black fox!

can't wait to see the new black coat. the green one is very funky! ;)

~Lady B

;)