Men's hair

SilasTalbot

I don't know that I'd agree that wigs were necessarily all that expensive.

Quite often wigs turn up in sailors' inventories, and the records of a mast sale just post GAoP give us an idea of their relative cost and desirability. When the goods of James Bearcroft, gunner, were divided up the following sales were made (amongst many others):

Richard Dobbs (ab): One chequered shirt, a cloth waistcoat and breeches, wig, pair of stockings and handkerchief. 18s

Henry Williams (ab): Three pair of old stockings, black waistcoat, pair of breeches, a wig and a handkerchief. 10s 6d.

William Pritchard (ab): Two pairs of drawers, 4 pair of stockings, one handkerchief, a wig, and a napkin. 7s 6d.

So, a gunner in this case owned three wigs, and each was bought by an able seaman. Interesting that the stuff sold for less than Bearcroft's bedding:

Mr Bart Geadley (ab): A bed bolster, pillow, blanket, and quilt. £2

It's also worth noting that Henry Avery's wife sold wigs in one of the slummiest districts of London

I'm not convinced that cropped hair, being clean shaven, or wearing tattoos were particularly the marks of a sailor either. Quite a few of the runaway ads I've read mention differing hair lengths and the pictorial record certainly shows longer hair:

88258167.jpg

86051146.jpg

87454467.jpg

85754800.jpg

85753949.jpg

Although evidence of facial hair from the pictorial record is scarce Ned Ward mentions the pride some seaman took in their moustaches.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I don't know that I'd agree that wigs were necessarily all that expensive.

Honestly one would think not if they could pick them out of a box for 12p... would be interesting to know if the wigs in the Barber's box were cast aways from customers...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hmmm.....

Pride in their moustaches, eh?

Do tell Master Foxe, Do.... Tell....

As I see you are an mustachioed and bearded Lad...

Or would you be concidered Goateed?

Between you and BlackJohn, the list of sailors with facial hair is growning.

HOWEVER, it still is a minority, thus far...

My apologies, minor thread hijack....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I wondered about the practicality of keeping a beard/moustache at sea, only after I'd seen 18th Cen razors while browsing antique sites.

Perhaps those who sailed in the cold regions were more likely?

Here is an excellent source on wigs and ques

Has some great pics as well

One 18th-century source stated that it took six men six days working from sun-up to sundown to complete a wig. Wigs on display in the shop could be purchased, or a custom fit wig could be ordered. Wearing a custom fit wig required the gentleman to cut his hair very short or to shave his head bald! Measurements taken of a man's head were used to ensure that the proper size blockhead was used to construct the wig.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Man's nightcap

mansnightcap.jpg

The hood.

Over the last 300 years it has been customary to hood the prisoner with a white hood. Nobody is entirely sure why white was the chosen colour. In Tyburn and Newgate days the "hood" was an ordinary nightcap rather than a purpose made execution hood, and as these were generally white, presumably this became the traditional colour. It would seem that the nightcap was optional and provided by the prisoner to hide their face from the crowd. When the prisoner had finished praying, the hangman simply pulled it down over their face.

makes one wonder...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I wondered about the practicality of keeping a beard/moustache at sea, only after I'd seen 18th Cen razors while browsing antique sites.

Perhaps those who sailed in the cold regions were more likely?

Here is an excellent source on wigs and ques

Has some great pics as well

One 18th-century source stated that it took six men six days working from sun-up to sundown to complete a wig. Wigs on display in the shop could be purchased, or a custom fit wig could be ordered. Wearing a custom fit wig required the gentleman to cut his hair very short or to shave his head bald! Measurements taken of a man's head were used to ensure that the proper size blockhead was used to construct the wig.

Good cite, mate.

I think that trying to shave with a straight razor on a rocking wooden ship on the high seas would be enough to make me forego shaving for the voyage! :lol:

One thing that I hate is seeing a bloke with a beard wearing a snowy white wig. The combination just makes the guy look dirty, somehow.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"