Men's hair

SilasTalbot

Even though it can be a sensitive subject for those of us (like me...) who might be thinner on the top than in years past, I would like to hear from fellow sea-rovers as to what you do with your hair.

I tend to wear mine just long enough to tie back, which results in a look much like the "short and tied" look in Wilbur's "The Revolutionary Soldier 1775-1783". (Again, I know it's post-GAoP...but that's Talbot's period).

Guys...what are your choices? And do any of you choose to wear wigs? (I know several of the local AmRev re-enactor crowd that do).

By the way, I didn't find this mentioned in other threads. If it has been discussed, please point me in that direction.

S.Talbot

Hmmm well my opinion on wigs is....mmmmmm on men....I love the look that Casanova had it the last movie....if you notice he did not tie his lock in the back with just one bow but three.... (it was a more dressed up look )......looked so cool!

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Mine is a little below the shoulders and curls naturally at that length. I'm fortunate that I still have all of mine... even at the ripe old age I'm at now. I pattern mine after those of the Buccaneer era - when wigs weren't worn I believe. Of course, Kass (who I see is in here with me) might slap me around on that one.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Depends...

But here is a picture, and a link to "the Village Hatshop" who has put most of the book THE MODE IN HATS AND HEADDRESS By R. Turner Wilcox online.

Here is a sample of the 17th Century Gentleman's styles of wigs and hats.

129_G.sized.jpg

And here is the link to the whole shebang. Don't forget to check out both 17th and 18th century sections!

The Mode in Hats and Headdress

Greg aka GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

It was so the men could tell the difference between the two... Mistaking a guy for a woman could get you a sword through the belly back then.

:angry:

-

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Or, depending on the guy, a particularly vigorous.. ahem... 'encounter.'

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Well aint that unfair! Men ken wear their hair down but but the wimmens needs t'be pull it up!

An observation I made at a 17thC event some years back: all the women had their hair done up and mostly under caps while all the men (those with long hair - including yours truly back then) wore their hair down all day. It was a blisteringly hot event, and as soon as the site closed and the public left all the women took their hair down and gave it a good shake, while all the men grabbed a band and pulled their hair back... :angry:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

And here is the link to the whole shebang. Don't forget to check out both 17th and 18th century sections!

The Mode in Hats and Headdress

Thank you, GoF, for providing that link. That is just the kind of information I was looking for.

Ladies...I apologize if I seem to have left you out of this discussion. Just know that whether the lasses wear their hair up or down, Capt. Talbot will admire the way your chosen style compliments your beauty.

I know wigs were the norm for this period, but what about bareheaded with short hair? Was this worn at all? :lol:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

I know wigs were the norm for this period, but what about bareheaded with short hair? Was this worn at all? :angry:

I hopes not. 10 minutes in Tucson's high noon will leave yer bald pate blister'd. I never leaves home without a brain saver 'o some sorts.

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

I know wigs were the norm for this period, but what about bareheaded with short hair? Was this worn at all? :lol:

I hopes not. 10 minutes in Tucson's high noon will leave yer bald pate blister'd. I never leaves home without a brain saver 'o some sorts.

No, actually I meant wigless, not bald. I usually wear closely cropped hair, but I'm not bald at all.

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

• 4 weeks later...

pinseller.jpg

Okay this chap is a pin seller, from the Town Criers of London, and although hard to tell if he has hair or is bald beneath his hat and scarf, it looks more as if his hair is short or not at all... gentlemen, when not wearing their wigs were most often clean shaven beneath. Williamsburg tells me that is to ensure a closer fitting wig as there was no elastic to make them fit tighter back then. When not wearing wigs at home, gentlemen often covered up with some sort of night cap, PERHAPS the pin seller is covering his pate with a scarf and hat because he has no hair nor wig to sport.... just an asumption... but there's the picture for you any way.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Man's nightcap

mansnightcap.jpg

1675 fashion plate man in banyan and cap

banyanandcap.jpg

now back to hair and wigs....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

"Wigs were expensive to make and to maintain. The Earl of Bedford paid 54 pounds 10 shillings for four perriwigs costing 20 pounds, 18 pounds, 10 pounds and 6 pounds. The cost of cleaning and repair would be about 10 shillings. At first a wig had been the mark of a gentleman, but gradually wigs permeated down to the lower levels of Society." pg. 163

"A man wearing a wig was presumed to be worth robbing.... Thieves targeted the wigs themselves. Small boys in baskets would ride on the heads of adults and snatch the wigs of passer-bys. Edward Short of St. Martin-in-the-Fields was indicted for robbing Peter Newell on the highway 'of a hat value 2s and a periwig value 5s." Thomas Giblet was 'going under Ludgate with a periwig in a band-box' when he was 'thrust up to the wall by the prisoner and some persons, who took the wig from him.' pg. 175

1700 Scenes from London Life, Maureen Waller.

Worst Jobs in History: The Stuarts: states that lard necklaces were worn about the neck to draw the nits/lice from the wigs and thus your head beneath the wig. Nit combs and lavender oil were also used to clean and dress wigs. Shaved heads were not to be seen in public. And cheap wigs could be gotten at the barbers, you put your hand into a box and what ever wig you picked out was then yours for 12p.

Crewe of the Archangel

Well aint that unfair!  Men ken wear their hair down but but the wimmens needs t'be pull it up!

An observation I made at a 17thC event some years back: all the women had their hair done up and mostly under caps while all the men (those with long hair - including yours truly back then) wore their hair down all day. It was a blisteringly hot event, and as soon as the site closed and the public left all the women took their hair down and gave it a good shake, while all the men grabbed a band and pulled their hair back... :lol:

Foxe

Enjoying this anecdote..I had to laugh and agree.

It's my ritual at the end of a "buttoned up day" at work to take my hair down and shake it out on the way to the car. Unless it's hot.

As wigs take care and weren't made of synthetic then, one would think taking a hat on and off would cause some problems. What were rules concerning mens hats? To come indoors would one only have to remove a hat if ladies were present or in church? Or in just in the company of men might they leave them on indoors. I haven't really read on this subject so forgive me if it's a simple question.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Up untill the 1780's one of the distinctions of being a sailor was close cropped hair. Period discriptions and Runa-Away notices described the mariner's hair as being close cropped.

It was just one of the many things that distinguished the man of the sea.

So the hardened mariner wore short hair clean shaven and tatoos.

The long que was the sign of a seaman after the GAP

So many myths in our hobbie

Ed McGrath

Those destined to hang, shall not fear drowning

Up untill the 1780's one of the distinctions of being a sailor was close cropped hair. Period discriptions and Runa-Away notices described the mariner's hair as being close cropped.

Ed McGrath

Yes, and so many of us, myself included, mistakenly believe that wearing a beard or outlandish mustache makes us look more piratical. ;)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Ed McGrath

Very interesting! Could you cite some sources? If so, thankee.

I thought there was a big debate here or somewhere about tattoes, and the majority said tattoes were NOT that common back then??

Spot.jpg