RF III - POLL for Location

Cheeky Actress

Ahoy Everyone,

Please be so kind to log on and put your two cents in for Reenactor Fest III.

We are being besieged with requests to host a Reenactor Fest out East. After looking at multiple sites, the two that seem most suitable are the Gettysburg area and the Colonial Williamsburg area. Please copy and paste the link below and tell us where YOU would rather see it hosted!

http://members.aol.com/soldaten/rf3poll.html

Please take the time to click in and vote! Thanks

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Ahoy Everyone,

Please be so kind to log on and put your two cents in for Reenactor Fest III.

We are being besieged with requests to host a Reenactor Fest out East. After looking at multiple sites, the two that seem most suitable are the Gettysburg area and the Colonial Williamsburg area. Please copy and paste the link below and tell us where YOU would rather see it hosted!

http://members.aol.com/soldaten/rf3poll.html

Please take the time to click in and vote! Thanks

Surely ye jest?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Go West, young pyrates, go West. How about Roseburg...Oregon, that is! :D

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Sorry, can't vote. I'm partial to it staying in Chicago. If there is interest on the East Coast, why not start their own? (yes I'm being totally self serving in that I like events that I can drive to)

Will you also be taking a poll of the attendants at RF2? I'd be interested in seeing what the people attending the event think about changing the location.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Sorry, can't vote. I'm partial to it staying in Chicago. If there is interest on the East Coast, why not start their own? (yes I'm being totally self serving in that I like events that I can drive to)

Will you also be taking a poll of the attendants at RF2? I'd be interested in seeing what the people attending the event think about changing the location.

The intent of the event owners/organizers was always to move it around the country so everyone gets a fair chance to attend... the only reason it was in Chicago two years in a row was because of the original deal made with the hotel where it is being held... this was already being discussed at RF1... they may poll the attendees at RF2 but most likely it will only be the two choices of Gettysburg or Williamsburg...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Damn, then I'll just have to have all my fun this year. Since I won't be able to attend any in the future thanks to the distance.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

West!? Isn't Chicago West enough for you, Ransom :lol: ?

As for West....who knows...perhaps RF IV!

:lol: From where I'm sitting, West is Hawaii! (Ooo, RFIV in Hawaii - not bad) Now for you Easterners, Oregon is West! B)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

There seems to have been some bad information passed in this thread. To clear this up, the director of Reenactor Fest has asked me to post this:

Reenactor Fest is planning to expand to the East Coast, hopefully as soon as the late fall of 2007.  This will mean TWO conventions a year: the current one in Chicago in February and one back East in (hopefully) November.  These will be unchanging, annual dates.  We are growing to fulfill the wants and desires of the reenactor community, so any and all feed back and ideas are appreciated!

All the best -

Mike Bollow

Director

Reenactor Fest

In other words, the February Reenactor Fest will continue to be in the Chicagoland area. A NEW Reenactor Fest is being added in November.

Do not believe the rumour mill. If you have questions, don't hear it second-hand. Please email info@reenactorfest.com

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Kass,

Upon reading the "News" link - Mike makes no mention of two Reenactor Fests.

" NEWS 12/27/2006 We are being besieged with requests to host a Reenactor Fest out East. After looking at multiple sites, the two that seem most suitable are the Gettysburg area and the Colonial Williamsburg area. Please copy and paste the link below and tell us where YOU would rather see it hosted!"

No rumors Kass, just an over sight to incomplete information.

I have emailed him as asked if was going to revise the text.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I can see where the confusion came from. No big deal though...close to home and isn't two better than one anyway? ;)

Lilith - Commander of The Tartarus

"God did not hold back from punishing the angels that sinned, but, by throwing them into Tartarus, delivered them into pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgement."

Wow, just jogged over to the Reenactor Fest site and saw that the "NEWS" text has been updated. Thank you Cheeky Actress!

"God did not hold back from punishing the angels that sinned, but, by throwing them into Tartarus, delivered them into pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgement."

After looking at multiple sites, the two that seem most suitable are the Gettysburg area and the Colonial Williamsburg area. ......tell us where YOU would rather see it hosted!

B)

Cheeky... I'd say.... what do the ghosts think? ;)

~Lady B

B)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I am hoping for the WIlliamsburg area... Besides having it in WIlliamsburg. there are hotels that you can get for 40 a night ... we had one thansgiving weekend. so it is not as much as you think to stay there...

But to walk around a town that is known for history and going into the taverns that would be wonderful...

Just my 2 pence

I would be hard pressed to find a reason to travel to something in Gettysburg (being a pirate re-enactor) but I could certainly convince crew members to attend one in Williamsburg, as there are other things to do there in addition to the convention. Plus, accommodations are inexpensive there, since it's touristy.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

The problem is that convention centers are not inexpensive there. And no one is going to have a convention there if it doesn't have a chance to make money.

It's also bloody remote. Surrounded by nothingness. Ewww...

And Gettysburg is making a BIG play to have RF2.5 there. :)

All told, I think I would prefer Williamburg as well... Even though tt would be an additional 2 and a half hours of a drive for me... From all I've heard and read there would be more of interest to me in Williamsburg than Gettsburg...

Now to play Devil's advocate with myself, from what Kass said about Gettysburg being cheaper for conference space, and just knowing that the event being in Gettsburg would likely draw a larger American Civil War crowd, I think it would probably be better for the interests of the RF 2.5 to have the Festival in Gettsburg...

Michael_banner.jpg

The problem is that convention centers are not inexpensive there. And no one is going to have a convention there if it doesn't have a chance to make money.

It's also bloody remote. Surrounded by nothingness. Ewww...

And Gettysburg is making a BIG play to have RF2.5 there. :)

That's good enough - but I think Gettysburg is just too Civil War oriented for us pyrates (and I speak only of my crewe) to want to trek to. It's not high on our list of places to travel, whereas Williamsburg is.

Higher costs are often offset by higher interest. Lower rates usually indicate it's not a popular place in the first place. For example, Orlando charges top dollar, Jacksonville doesn't - because nobody wants to go to Jacksonville.

But that's just us.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

For those that have never been to Williamsburg, I bet they will just immerse themselves in the W'burg history and not go anywhere else.

And, while there is not too much else in W'burg besides the college and the outlet stores, if you want something else to do....

Mariners Museum is a world class Maritime museum

Jamestown Settlement is celebrating its 400th anniversary and a great place for early 17th C stuff

Yorktown Battlefield and Museum Where America won her independence

Virginia War Musuem covers military history up to modern times (with a pretty decent Civil War and WW2 section

Fort Norfolk For more Rev War and War of 1812 goodness

Nauticus Gives you another state of the art Maritime Museum, complete with a real Friggin Battleship to climb on

And thats all within 45 minutes to an hour from Williamsburg going towards VA Beach

If you go the other direction (towards Richmond) you get a whole host of other Neat Things To See

Gettysburg...

One lousy battle was fought there, and it always gets the lions share of the publicity.

The whole rest of the War was fought in the south, so if you are interested in Civil War, you can go to The Museum of the Confederacy

IMHO there is lots to do, and more in the Neighborhood of our pirate interest in Williamsburg....

Hey, didn't the Governor of Virginia pay for the hunting down of Black Beard? And I believe that they brought his head back to Williamsburg.

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Do try to remember that RF2 is not a festival for GAoP reenactors. It's a festival for Ancient Roman through WWII reenactors.

The decision is in the hands of the organiser. He's going to make a decision largely based on price and location. Williamsburg is too remote and too expensive. Baltimore was looked at because of its location, but it's also too expensive. The last time I talked to him, Gettysburg was the favourite because they really want the convention to be held there. They're giving him a deal good enough to make it affordable for everyone to attend. Would you prefer to pay twice as much just to get in at Williamsburg?

Just to play devil's advocate -- Greg, how much of Stratford or Coventry did you visit TORM weekend? I saw TORM, the Living History Faire down the road, the restaurant, and my pillow. And TORM doesn't have a ball! I don't think the surroundings of the event site matter much at all. As long as there's a local airport/train station/bus station/car service, it's good.

Oh, the choices one has to make when trying to determine the best possible place for an event!

I remember visiting both places ages ago and I am sure that there has been improvement to both since then (the early 1980s). Gettysburg would pull in those who do American Civil War that’s for sure, but I do not think it will limit others; such as the American Rev War, Empire, or WWII to this event.

Yet, if I had a choice between the two, I would have to say Williamsburg. Too bad Baltimore did not work out. I would have loved to visit there too