French type 'C' fusil

Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

I know we have been over weapons in many threads, but this time it's specific. I have been tossing around the many types of longarms available and in use through the GAoP. I frankly don't want anything to do with the dog-locks. Handled one or two over the years, just don't like 'em.

I have pretty well centered on the French type 'C' fusil, traded from 1680 to around 1730. This would be an acceptable weapon on land, but any references to them at sea would be helpful. As a landlocked pyrate, I need to make the most of my investment in kit.

OK, now let's get to the goodies...

Bo

I always feel kinda unsure when linking to my forum, but in this case you might find some useful info in this thread.

Mr Balls... or whatever he calls himself these days... :lol: studied them vigorously. He eventually went with something from Loyalist.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Hmmm... According to my friends at Track of the Wolf, the Fusil de Chasse is not until 1730. The type 'C' that I am looking into was the predecessor to the type 'D' in 1720. It has a wedding band at the transition. I don't know whether the type 'C' was used commonly anywhere other than New France (Canada), or if they were sent south as well. The folks at TotW aren't sure either.

I see Patrick got his Dog-lock. I just don't like how they feel in my hands, or the mechanics of the lock. I believe in having correct kit, but I just prefer the flintlock. Mine will be French fusil I suppose, because I really like the "Trade Gun" style, and I can shoot them with some degree of accuracy.

The 1717 French musket at Loyalist looks too much like the Charleville and I really don't like how those feel, or function. No rear stock and all out front!

I went over to the LA site to see what they were selling as a Fusil de Chasse. Apparently they are lumping all fusils into one category. The type 'C' and the 'D' were both "Trade Guns", and the "Fussil Fin" was the fancier version, and now I am really confused as to when the "de Chasse" was added to the name! :lol:

The 1717 is no longer listed but I have a photo saved somewhere in this darn machine.

Back to the 'C'... anyone have any references to weapons sold to ships company headed south?

Forgot to say "thanx" for the info BJ!

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

My pleasure. French musket nomenclature boggles my mind. I'll dig through the archives of the PB mail list. I know we've batted around fusils there more than once.

I do know boxes of French muskets of a couple different styles were recovered from the wreck of La Belle. Some were found still loaded, but in the box, suggesting they had been used and then returned.

And there's a bunch written about muskets in The Sea Rover's Practice. I'll skim through that too.

My Home on the Web

Ok, I went waaaay back to 1999 and found this in the PB mail list. If I follow this thread correctly, this is a response from Ken Kinkor to a question about muskets found on the Whydah:

The longarms we've recovered are all pretty well busted up, but we do have what looks to be a Sea Service carbine and a French "fusil fin"

As I understand it, the "fusil fin" is the type C.

Here's an interesting article I found along the way.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._n9262405/pg_15

My Home on the Web

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Well, that's taken care of. I am going the long road and will build mine from kit. I have never done one all the way myself, so this is going to be my next big item. Intresting that all type'C' fusils were basically home-made. That will add to the authenticity of my piece. Thanx for the work BJ, and for your knowledge as well Royoliste!

"still loaded but in the box." (wanna buy some French guns? Never fired and only dropped once!) Reminds me of that scene from Full Metal Jacket! And the comment by Ted Nugent on deer thoughts and the French! ("Deer don't think that way at all. The only things on their minds is what am I gonna eat next, who am I gonna screw next, and can I run fast enough to get away. Kind of like the French.") ;)

Bo