Anyone play the Bodhran??

Rats

Wow, everytime I find a thread I'd like to comment on, it's turned into a fight and ceased being fun before I get a chance to post.

Anyway, I've been playing for four years myself, and I enjoy the heck out of it. I'll agree that it's fairly easy to learn the basics, that you can start picking out fun tempos and rhythms fairly soon. What's tough is learning to make the thing sing. It's like any other instrument... the nuance is the difficult part to learn.

I don't know about where you live, but around here finding a bodhran teacher is about as likely as finding a living dinosaur. What formal instruction I've received has been from fellow rennies at this and that faire... if you want to learn how to play, then pick the method you think will benifit you most, whether that be books and videos, playing along with Tenacious D (which is pretty fun, btw) or just tapping. There are dozens of tutorials on line (google "how to play the bodhran") that will help you develop a style that works for you. Most of all, have FUN with it. As long as you enjoy playing, that's all that really matters.

As to pissing contests... I don't think they're period. I've never come across any historical account of a pirate peeing.

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

New Grove Dictionary of Muscial Instruments v.1 pgs. 243-244

Bodhran:

Single -headed frame drum from Ireland. The bodhran was asscoicted with folk ritual and played at festival processions that survived primarily with the festival of St Stephan's Day. ... The use of a skin (wicht, wight, dallan, boran) simiular or identical in structure to the bodhran was widespread right up to the 20th century; the sieve was used as a meal-sieves or winnowing tray. The link between tray and seive and percussion instrument suggest that oringally the bodhran's main function may have been within the spring ritual of St, Brigdi's Feast.

The bodhran began to break its ritual ties with the advent of the Fleadhanna Ceoil (music feastivals) in the 1950's and the general resurgnece of interest in traditonal music in Ireland led to its increasing popularity/ A major factor in this was its inclusion in Ceoltorir Cualamn (a concert band of traditonal musicians) by Seam O'Raida in the 1960s

The bodhran is old mates. Drums similar to it appear all over the world

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Since I've had a Bodhran for years (got it from mom years ago)!

I'm wondering if it's period correct, having seen plenty of trad groups play it for years???

Though I can't find the tipper to save my life, I might actually consider learning to play the doggone thing!?

Anyone have one??

Rats!

Rats! You've never mention that you had a Bodhran nor made any reference to learning to play?!

My sweet Rats...I do know how to play! I've been doing so since my years at the Oswego Ren Faire!

Don't worry about your tipper...one can purchase one or widdle as Pat suggested.

What kind, how big and when do you want to start your lessons?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Geeze Rats, another member of the crewe, Lynn's husband plays one... I'm sure he would love to help you out...

That's right Rats...Brian also plays fife and penny whistle…he’s was a sailor in real life for about 7 years, perhaps that's why he loves to play a lot of late period sea shanties.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

My dear Mistress!

I would love to learn anything from........ you??! B)

(Is this where a smart man would run? He asks as he looks into his empty tankard....) :lol:

Big hugs!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

i also found this info

Origin and Introduction into Modern Music

The bodhrán is an old drum but a young musical instrument. Although it has existed in Ireland for centuries, it was introduced into traditional music performance only in the 1960s, and became common only in the 1970s.

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire