Pirate of the Year 2006 ?????

I love contests... and prizes.

I was thinking about doing a "pirate of the year 2006" contest.

This would be as an award/prize/recognition of the Pirate that has done an exceptional job of promoting, participating, and general good will in the realm of historical or fantasy piracy over the last year.

Its not a popularity contest or anything, but I thought it might be cool to do. I have a rather extensive prize closet, and maybe we could do an "interview" an push to have it published in one of the Pirate Magazines that are afloat these days.

Anyone else think its worthwhile?

It would be hard to choose, as there are a lot of folks here that are really outstanding and do charity work, organize festivals, create and sell gear, run pirate groups etc.....

It could be an annual thing too....

Whattayathink?

Greg aka GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I believe in recognition of peoples efforts. Keeps them coming back. Trouble is there are so many here who are deserving, who do ya choose!

William did a great job getting the PiP going, Kass is always there for anyone, Blackjohn, Foxe, and Patrick Hand....

Arrrgh! See what I mean?

Yes, a worthy cause indeed.

Bo

On the merits of pure hobby, I would like to nominate Mister Patrick Hand. He is a historian of the most casual, yet accomplished demeanor. His presence is at once simple and commanding in a way that celebrates the idea without lauding the glory. He is a pirate's pirate. The able seaman. The avid enthusiast. First to lend a hand in spirit and in service to all who would not refuse him, and so willing to let others have the limelight, that this humble thin man has accomplished more silent honors among tavern toasters than any man who sits at the head of table.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

in humble opinion and being new as well it would be hard to pick just one.....but for everyones effort a heartfelt thank ye be meritied :ph34r::huh::P

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

I humbly nominate Mistress Kass, Empress of the prickety stitch.

For her tireless efforts in getting everyone not just dressed, but dressed in a historically correct manor, down to the littlest detail. For the time she takes to educate not only the new comers but the veterans as well. For her always being "just an e-mail away". But primarily for all her work at dispelling the "Ren. wench" stereotype and bringing the common woman in the GAoP to light. Thank you Kass, for giving every woman interested in pirate reenacting a wonderful example to follow.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I used the word "contest" but it really isn't that at all.

Shall we say, "official recognition"?

If you want to post here, or PM or e-mail any more nominations (and why) I will gladly accept them and work out some kinda thing....

Greg

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I must second the nomination of Patrick Hand, for all of the reasons mentioned. If further proofs are needed, just see the the new indexes in Twill and Plunder.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Patrick Hand was my first thought as well, tho there are so many here deserving of recognition for their skill and willingness to share the vast inpressive knowledge and experience they posess. However, I would be hard pressed to put it more eloquently than William has stated above. Mr. Hand, ye has me vote!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I must also put in my vote for Patrick Hand, for all the reasons so far mentioned.

A thought might also be given to having one male and one female pyrate of the year, since the areas of expertise might be totally different, but equally worthy of merit. You already have two perfect nominations - Patrick and Kass.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I have to agree with Patrick and Kass as co-pirates of the year. Patrick seems to be one of those rare folks who can bridge both the authentic and entertainer pirate personas and elicits respect from both groups - deservedly so. And Kass has been wonderful about educating those of us who want to at least approach something like authenticity.

RHJMap.jpg

Well, my first thought for a nomination was Foxe. The constant flow of information from him helps any historically minded pirate improve his gear. I've constantly been amazed at the references, pictures, and general knowledge that's come forth from his posts.

I would also second Kass, if there's a female pirate of the year. I do this for the same reason as Foxe. I believe many of the notable pirates here on the pub have some clothing that stems from her hand. She works tirelessly to not only provide us with patterns and clothing that is historically perfect, but she also goes above and beyond here on the pub educating and answering questions on her area of expertise.

As everyone's mentioned, it's definitely a hard choice, but these would be my votes.

Coastie :huh:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I'm with you, Pat. I just found this thread by accident. And I'm speechless. And THAT's almost unknown with me! :blink:

Thank you all. I'm just doing what I love. Thanks for giving me a friendly place to do it. :)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Aye, Mistress Kass and Mister Patrick Hand are both worthy nominees as others have so eloquently stated.

I would also second the nomination of Mister William Red Wake. It was his suggestion that pushed me to buy the non-refundable ticket to Florida for PiP. His encouragement has persuaded several new participants to endeavor to write for the Watch Dog. William is a wealth of information when looking for assistance in accuracy. He is quick to share information, references, and praise for those who are new to reenacting and piracy. He has created the Draughts for the Watch Dog, well done in both detail and aesthetics and has shared his efforts with all who choose to invest in the draughts. He has taken on responsibilities of “Quartermaster” and has acted as liaison between us (A.K.A. the rabble) and Harry for PiP. He assisted the “Pirates of Treasure Cove” by designing their colors and making it a reality. Finally, William is in all things a diplomat. I have witnessed his efforts both known and unknown, seen him smoothed many a ruffled feathers, a few bruised egos and keep peace in the pub on several occasions. William Red Wake belongs in the company of Patrick and Kass.

Aye, Mistress Kass and Mister Patrick Hand are both worthy nominees as others have so eloquently stated.

I would also second the nomination of Mister William Red Wake. William Red Wake belongs in the company of Patrick and Kass.

AYE

Well, I stopped short of nominations in my first post here, so now that most of the names I mentioned have been nominated, I will say that Blackjohn has also been ready with the information for those who ask, and promotes expansion in the pyracy ranks.

Allow me the honor to enter the nomiation of our friend Blackjohn.

Bo

Well, I go away for two days and this is what happens! Thanks guys, I'm really touched.

May I make a suggestion? If this were ver going to be anything more than a "feel-good" thread (ie, if prizes were to be given and magazine features written etc) would it perhaps be wise to have three or four categories? I mean, so many people contribute in so many different ways it's impossible to compare them and say who is more truly deserving.

Perhaps (and this is only my own humble suggestion):

Award for the promotion of pirate history: For those who have helped others with their authentic pirate impression

Award for the promotion of general pirateyness: For those who have made significant contribution to the hobby in general

Award for good pirate works: to recognise those who have used the hobby to some good end, be it charity fund raising, education, or whatever.

Judges' Discretionary Award: For those whose achievements don't quite fall into the above categories (or whose achievements span categories), but are nonetheless worthy of recognition.

Just some thoughts. :rolleyes:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

:lol: I heartily agree! BlackJohn is as well an excellent choice. He is a man straight out of history! and one of my favorite people here. That thought crossed my mind last night and I must admit I felt a bit guilty for not mentioning him. :rolleyes:

Categories would make a lot of sense as you said. Many contribute on different levels. Perhaps even regionally.

Well... it could indeed evolve into a two part (or multiple) prizes... one for "re-enactor", and one for "Merchant" etc.

But right now, since the "prizes" are coming from my own locker... I can't really afford to have the "south west regional pirate of the year" along with a "north of the mason-dixie line pirate of the year", or European Merchant (or whatever).

I am kicking around some ideas in my head, but I am thinking of something a little more meaningful than just a label "pirate of the year".

Possibly something along the lines of having an article on the winner in one of the Pirate glossy mags that are now coming out. Maybe a period authentic cutlass with "pirate of the year" and their name inscribed on the blade....

Who knows?

I have fielded a few PM with suggestions and nominations... some for folks that have not been mentioned publicly yet.

But as someone already said, deciding amongst a field of worthy folks could be tough.

Anyway...

Still thinking (and taking suggestions and nominations)

Greg aka GoF

I too am touched. Thank you so very much.

I believe there is one here who has us all by a long sea mile... I nominate The Royaliste. He has his tallship, and the star to stear her by. And I hope one day to cross paths with him, and raise a glass...

:lol:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

At first I was tempted to gratefully decline my own nomination, for much of the shared insights, inspirations and instructions attributed to me are merely the reflection of the other good nominations mentioned herein. Most of my understanding and enthusiasm comes from what I gained or learned from people like Blackjohn, Kass, Patrick and the others.

However, since I am always wagging my finger and telling my wife that she does not except a compliment graciously enough, and since I am flattered by those who mentioned me here, I thank you.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg