Pirate Exhibit at Door County Museum

CapnJake

I'm just getting another promo picture and the date... any more details mayhaps as I may have to make a choice between this and the PB's Maryland event in May as well.... the more information ye can provide the better.... and would ye care for a hanging? Also can crewe members do double duty as vendors as well? The Crewe of the Archangel may be gun runners as well in the not too distant future....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

This is wonderful news! Door Country...the New England of the Midwest is getting Pyrate Fever!

I shall make it down also Captain, and keep you informed of any additional information. Looking forward to meeting up with the rest of you!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Oh Gosh! I just realized that date is my wedding anny! Hmm..I don't know if I will be able to make Door County? Although, they do have some lovely B&B's up that way!

I highly recommend The Barbican in Sturgeon Bay. If you Google it you'll find their web site with rates and reservation information. It is not too far from the Museum, coincidentally.

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

I'm just getting another promo picture and the date... any more details mayhaps as I may have to make a choice between this and the PB's Maryland event in May as well.... the more information ye can provide the better.... and would ye care for a hanging? Also can crewe members do double duty as vendors as well? The Crewe of the Archangel may be gun runners as well in the not too distant future....

At this point I don't know too much more about the exhibit specifics. I invited the museum's executive director to join us on this board to answer your questions, but Brian is a phenominally busy guy, running a not-for-profit museum in these times of government penny-pinching, so we may not hear much from him. I do know, from talking to him in Green Bay at the Tall Ships Festival that they were able to secure materials recovered from shipwrecks that Mike Breza of the Oshkosh Public Museum couldn't get his hands on for his Pirate Exhibit this year.

The Door County Maritime museum has been a huge supporter of Bounding Main. They are great people with an excellent museum, part of a really nice community of folks that appreciate their maritime history. Even if you can't make it for the Pirate Exhibit, I highly recommend visiting any time of the year and spending time in Door County while you're at it.

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

Nice Picture CapnJake...

I do have a few questions. Which location are we speaking of regarding the May 12th date? I know that there are several locations in the Door County area that have Marine Museums (or Annexes) in the area. Could you be a bit more specific. You mentioned the The Door County Maritime museum in Sturgeon Bay...is this the exact location for this event?

Thank you for your time.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Which location are we speaking of regarding the May 12th date?  You mentioned the The Door County Maritime museum in Sturgeon Bay...is this the exact location for this event?

Sturgeon Bay sure is the one! The other two facilities are tiny by comparison, but are also very nice.

I should also mention that there is a large antique "mall" on the way into town (from the South, that is) that had a full sized, real ship's anchor out front for sale, plus inside several ship's wheels, ship models, etc. This was a couple of years back, but there are a lot of these places around and they always seem to have wonderful maritime collectibles available.

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

I should also mention that there is a large antique "mall" on the way into town (from the South, that is) that had a full sized, real ship's anchor out front for sale, plus inside several ship's wheels, ship models, etc. This was a couple of years back, but there are a lot of these places around and they always seem to have wonderful maritime collectibles available.

Ack! Now you did it!!!!!!!! :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Hello all!

Brian Kelsey from the Door County Maritime Museum. Glad to see that there is growing enthusiasm for our upcoming new exhibit entitled Pirates! which opens to the public on May 12, 2007 and will run through January 21, 2008.

Here is some further information on what will be happening and you are reading this before our members have even seen it!

Avast ye landlubbers!

The Door County Maritime Museum is preparing an exhibit on pirates, a show to appeal to the fascination shared by adults and children alike. The exhibit will include real history on the likes of Blackbeard, Captain Kidd, Anne Bonney and Mary Read, original works by nationally known painter and pirate illustrator Don Maitz, interactive stations to experience the challenge of a pirate’s life, and a look at the crime and criminals that plied the Great Lakes.

The pirates of the golden age lived a life of adventure and danger. We will present the men and women who took pursuit of Spanish galleons through the use of historic engravings, maps, and artifacts. A look at their ships, weapons, and quarry, and how they maintained loyalties among their crew and struck fear in their enemies.

Through the efforts of our many talented and dedicated volunteers, we have researched, written, and have begun construction. With their interest, we have made contact with institutions and businesses to borrow artifacts and arrange for speakers. From the Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Society, Inc. of Key West, Florida, we have requested coins, domestic objects and elements of armament. These objects were recovered from the Atocha and the Santa Margarita, both members of the 1622 Spanish fleet returning to Spain with treasure taken from the new world. There are ship elements off the wreck of the 40 gun Queen Anne’s Revenge loaned from the North Carolina Maritime Museum. This was one of last the vessels sailed by Edward Teach, a.k.a. Blackbeard. We will also be borrowing small arms from the Milwaukee Public Museum and coins from the Bureau of Archaeological Research in Tallahassee.

With electronic wizardry and a section of gun deck, we will challenge our visitors in the capture of an opponent vessel, and take them on a virtual tour of a sailing ship of the day. A touch screen will allow the visitor to learn about the daily life of a pirate - how they entertained themselves with sea shanties, what they ate, what were the consequences for disobedience, and even a look at the kind of critters they would take along for pets. A kid’s cabin will be available for the little ones to try on pirate garb and gain an understanding of who ran the ship and who swabbed the decks.

We will portray a Great Lakes history not usually found in the tour books. From the notorious 19th century character of James Jesse Strang and the colorful Captain Dan Seavey to those who lived above the law during prohibition. There is the the distilling of bitters on Washington Island and the transportation of illegal alcohol from Canada to Chicago and the men who moved it. And still, there is the legend of Poverty Island gold and the Pewabic with her sunken treasure some have died for.

Additionally, the Bridgeroom will showcase the brilliantly colored and deftly rendered work of Don Maitz to lend an exciting and fun element to the exhibit portraying real and fictional pirates.

Through these stories and others like them, we will offer an exhibit to engage the whole family, presenting history in an environment designed to be enlightening as well as entertaining. Look for it next year, ye have been warned!

Brian, that sounds fantastic! Please keep us up to date on your progress and if you need volunteers or information I'm sure this group on the Pyracy Pub is a valuable resource.

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

This is great! I saw just a brief teaser for this event at Tall Ships in Green Bay and I've been hoping there would be more info. I'm sure the crew of The Fool's Gold would be interested in being involved in some fashion. We certainly enjoyed ourselves at the Oshkosh exhibit, and this sounds like it will be an even bigger event. Do keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...

aye it does sound like the show that the Osh Kosh museum had.. and it was super!

Not sure as of yet if I can make it, but we would love ta be represented.. if ya wanted to go, Bess... (looks sideways at her and winks)

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Hm. I'm from SB. I'll have to check that out.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

With electronic wizardry and a section of gun deck, we will challenge our visitors in the capture of an opponent vessel, and take them on a virtual tour of a sailing ship of the day. A touch screen will allow the visitor to learn about the daily life of a pirate - how they entertained themselves with sea shanties, what they ate, what were the consequences for disobedience, and even a look at the kind of critters they would take along for pets. A kid’s cabin will be available for the little ones to try on pirate garb and gain an understanding of who ran the ship and who swabbed the decks.

This sounds absolutely grand...there is a computer test at Old Ironsides, where you "take her out on a mission"... you even have the opportunity to pilot her out of Boston Harbor... great fun!

Crewe of the Archangel

• 4 months later...

bumping since this opens this weekend (how'd it get to be May already?)

I don't know my plans for the weekend 100% yet, but I'm seriously thinking of popping up to the opening & calling it my present.

Anyone else?

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Based on some recent correspondence that I've had with Brian Kelsey, the executive director of the museum, the museum member's opening is on Friday the 11th. it is officially open to the public on Saturday the 12th. I just wanted to make sure that no one made plans to go on Friday only to find out that they couldn't get in that day.

Dean Calin

(Cap'n Jake)

Bounding Main

www.boundingmain.com

I went to the museum on Saturday. I must say I was a little disapointed that there were so few artifacts. I was expecting more. The best part was the paintings by the man who created Captain Morgan. I don't think it was worth it for the length of the drive up there. Oh well.....