clay gernades

Salty

Alright i admit me interest is piqued and from a few posts in me other places and trying to get info the concept of clay grenades has been brought to light..... have some expirece with black powder and know that blackpowder weapons be allowed in some events and cases but have nevr heard o anyone using clay grenades in person or for display .....any concepts of this topic

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Check your local regulations, Salty. Statutes differ from place to place, and it's important to know the correct answer for where you are.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Are you talking clay pots filled with black powder actually being set off?

As Kass said, check your local regs. As an off-hand guess, I would say they probably won't fly, legally. Many areas of the country outlaw fireworks or any "device" filled with black powder that's encased in a strong cardboard tube...and that's just paper.

If you are figuring the clay will just disintegrate into powder and make a big dust cloud...more than likely it won't. Black powder is a slow, low-order compound, and doesn't have the shattering effect to totally break up the case. There's always a danger of flying chunks. The clay container will break apart only far enough to no longer contain the pressure of the gasses. From that point on, the remainder of the pieces will fly through the air as projectiles. Even if the container is "raw" clay, and not fired in a kiln. Yeah, some if it will turn to dust, but there's no predicting how much or how many pieces won't. No way to tell when or where a chunk will take off like a bullet and cause damage.

Like Kass said...check with your local laws, but they will probably frown on the idea.

In WWII the Japanese had a "last ditch" grenade made out of clay. It was fired clay, but still...it was a pretty nasty little beastie.

Brad

aka Pegleg Pete

thanks lads and lasses

I HAVE NO INTENTION OF MAKING THEM

let me make that clear

was just curious on the matter

personally hav eno use for any weapon that can cuase tha tmuch distruction and not like to play the fool with blackpowder in any form. like i said have never heard of such being used in form described

but thanks for the disscussion on them as well

i'll be sticking with me pots and leave weaponary to cutlass and pistols :lol:

aye and of another note i know what ceramic shards will do in an explosion that be nasty enough with out adding aid from powder or other source

What about makin empty "duds" just for display? You could leave a hole in the bottom to make it obvious they weren't loaded.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

What about makin empty "duds" just for display? You could leave a hole in the bottom to make it obvious they weren't loaded.

Nuthin' wrong with that. You wouldn't even need to put a hole in the bottom. It's just the part where you light it and it goes BOOM that tends to make folks a bit nervous. B)

Do a search for "grenades" or "grenadoes" in the Cap'n Twill area and you will find a relatively recent thread about it...with some pictures to boot.

Some folks have done some very nice work with reproductions.

Brad

aka Pegleg Pete

aye duds fer display or teaching may be the trick to indulging my interest and perhaps many another's. just seems a bit barbaric even fer pyrates to be using such as weapons :lol:

I've got friends who have explosive ordinance licenses (they're demolitions experts for the US Special Forces), and they expressed interest in creating some clay grenades, to see just how they explode....

I may direct 'em to this thread (and the other one), so they can check things out.....

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Some video of their tests would be interesting..

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I've got friends who have explosive ordinance licenses (they're demolitions experts for the US Special Forces), and they expressed interest in creating some clay grenades, to see just how they explode....

I may direct 'em to this thread (and the other one), so they can check things out.....

Ordnance. :P

Dances for nickels.

I swear I'm a good speller..... :P

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

aye ye can swear as ye like ....however

hell not trying to teach english here not me job :P:P

I gots trophies!

anyway, back on topic, uhm, could the potter make a couple, maybe to be used as candleholders, or inkwells?

might turn out to be a good seller!

(Don't forget to put a disclaimer though, that you don't recommend they actually be filled with powder)

Aye Capt, think the potter can arrange to have some fer all to veiw who may have cause to be inclined to such....will post disclaimer on them though :rolleyes:B)

See what i can be doin gin teh next few days with em

For duds, I'd say make 'em the regular way, and then fill 'em up with black tile grout. (Or for that matter, plain old plaster, then drop a little ink on the top of the fill, once it's set; but you may end up with a white plaster mess where you don't want it.)

It would take a pretty determined idiot to hollow one of those out again and blow himself up with it.

aye and of another note i know what ceramic shards will do in an explosion that be nasty enough with out adding aid from powder or other source

Heh heh. Put one in the kiln with a wet spot in the clay, did ye?

AYE :lol::lol: