Port Royale is a blast!!!

Hello All!!!

I just thought I would drop some news and review on the computer game "Port Royale" put out by Ascaron. Let me begin by saying that this is a highly involved game, and you are going to need a few (if not several) hours to play.

The depth and scope of this game is tremendous. Make sure you do the in game tutorial before you sink your teeth into this one...it will make your Port Royale experience more understandable and enjoyable. Port Royale is similar to Pirates! In many respects, but there are more options available to you in Port Royale, for example, you can focus exclusively on trade if you wish, building an financial empire that can include fleets of cargo ships, tobacco plantations, sugar plantations, rum distilleries, etc. all working to make you rich. If you wish to focus just on pyracy, you can do that too...however, be careful...pyrates become extremely unpopular very quickly and you will find that your usual ports o'call are closed to you. I like to engage in a little of both, and hey, if you don't want to engage in pyracy, you can always fund another to do it for you and collect a share of their plunder!!!

The graphics in this game are good...not Great!...but not bad. The ship to ship combat is well within the "wow" range. Naval combat in Port Royale is a step up from Pirates! and is good enough to keep you drooling for more broadside and boarding action, and then coming back for more.

If you can afford it, buy it...I got mine at Fry's for a bag of $30.00 gold pieces, and it was well woth the price of admission.

In closing, I'll say that PR is one of the best pyrate computer games that I have played, and it is a welcome breath of fresh air for those craving a game that is as good as or better than the old Pirates! of the early '90s. Up until now, the pirate computer game scene stunk...those of you who have played "Cutthroats" or "Buccaneers" might sympathize, those of you who have not can consider themselves lucky. You now have a pyrate game that is fun, challenging, charming, exciting...and best of all, will not crash your computer at the drop of a handkerchief.

Eric :)

OOOOOOH YEAH!

I just discovered the existance of this new title online the other day, and set sail for me local e-tavern in search of the plunder. And there it was, in stock for it's first day in Australia! :lol::lol:

I just have to do a wee bit of plunderin before I'll be able to afford it.

I've been waiting a decade for a worthy sequel to Sid Meier's "Pirates", and it would seem to have arrived! :P

And fer a sea-dog who smokes Port Royal tobacco, it is perfectly titled!

'My own master, on like occasions, would buy a whole pipe of wine and placing it in the street would force everyone that passed him to drink with him, threatening also to pistol them in case they would not do it... and very oftern, with both his hands, he would throw these liquors about the street and wet the clothes of such as walked by, without regarding whether he spoiled their apparel or not, were they men or women.'

I wanted to get a look at this game myself, and found its website here.

Looks like this same company has some other pirate-themed games in the works, including a demo out for "Tortuga - Pirates of the New World." I'll have to check it out later.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Man.... :(

I got a copy of 'Port Royale'. And it won't work. After the kick ass intro (although I was more than a little disappointed to learn that the pirates are the BAD GUYS!) it went to a frozen windows with a black background. At the Ascaron Website, it recommeended getting the latest drivers for my graphics card (nVidia TNT2), which I have just finished downloading, I hope. Man I hope it works. That was almost half my weekly wage.

I should have stolen it. :P:P:(:P yeah take that, stinkin' mall... open up down the street from me will you?!

Anyway, with the pirates being bad-guys and all, Tortuga looks like it night be a cooler game in the long-run. The goal being to be the meanest pirate in the sopanish main! :P

'My own master, on like occasions, would buy a whole pipe of wine and placing it in the street would force everyone that passed him to drink with him, threatening also to pistol them in case they would not do it... and very oftern, with both his hands, he would throw these liquors about the street and wet the clothes of such as walked by, without regarding whether he spoiled their apparel or not, were they men or women.'

You mean you're the bad guy in Port Royale or you have to rid the game of bad guys and they are the pirates and not you?

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.