Reaction to yer Piratey ways

Red Cat Jenny

Years ago, while dressed in complete pirate kit, I strolled into the neighborhood liquor store. My choice of sword at the time was wearing a very long Polish karabela (a type of cavalry sabre). The guys who ran the store were sikhs. I wondered what their take would be, a guy wearing a sword coming into their store. Knowing something about the Five Ks I figured they'd have a completely different outlook than dude who runs the other liqour store. And I was right. They thought it was really cool. After some smiles and nods the one fellow said to me, "in my village, every man wore a sword just like that."

So cool

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently showed pictures I took at an event to a group of friends. They seemed more bewildered than anything else. Kinda like...why do you do this? Except for one. She commented that she wished she was "into something like that" because it looked like fun. I pointed to the pictures and said she could do that too, and she replied that pirates weren't her thing. Oh well, too bad for all of them. ;)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

The chin whiskers are comin' back and the hair is growin' over the ears... Almost caused a mutiny at the dinner table last night, and the beatnik jokes are startin' at work.

I can only say that sometimes ye can't please any o' the people any o' the time, so hopefully yer happy wit' yer self.

Ye do wot ye wanna do JAcky ye Pirate... woagh! ;)

Well be on yer side!

Mayhap th Navy ribbon will come to use after all....

Red CAt settles on her rum barrel mystefied ....waitin t' see wot JAcky Tar will do next...an keeps a close eye on his pokets

"We don't believe in rules, like, we gave them up when we started livin' like freaky beatniks!"

Sorry, channeling the Simpson's for a moment there.

;)

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

• 1 month later...

T'was interesting this past weekend when Bunny was here... we ladies went out on the town, wore out pirate hats with modern clothes and the general concensus the whole evening was hearing "ARRR!" the freakin' bleedin' evenin'! Bunny actually started tellin' folks they say "Arr" 3 times, they have to buy us all drinks.

I still get that. Either it's "Arrr!" or a weird look that I'm some deformed bastard and they step away from me, ignoring me.

People are odd.

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I wore my tricorn (the one in the avatar) to work for Talk Like a Pirate Day last year. For some reason I thought TLAPD would be a bigger thing in Silicon Valley (quirky, non-establishment events and nerds, y'know) but no; not a single soul but what needed explanations. I didn't exactly relish passing the CEO in the hall on the way to lunch, and explaining myself to him, either.

Oh, well. Can't say I wasn't warned; even www.talklikeapirate.com says "it's Talk Like a Pirate Day, not DRESS Like a Pirate Day." Phooey. B)

Last weekend my little swab insisted on wearing her "outfit" for three days straight. She even slept in her shift & skirts! We went everywhere we normally do on weekends, shopping, lunch at a restaurant, book club, our friends farm. Everyone we ran into had something nice to say about how she was dressed.

But you know, kids can get away with that sort of thing & adults find it cute. Not so much once you hit, say 20 though B)

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Years ago, while dressed in complete pirate kit, I strolled into the neighborhood liquor store. My choice of sword at the time was a very long Polish karabela (a type of cavalry sabre). The guys who ran the store were sikhs. I wondered what their take would be, a guy wearing a sword coming into their store. Knowing something about the Five Ks I figured they'd have a completely different outlook than dude who runs the other liqour store. And I was right. They thought it was really cool. After some smiles and nods the one fellow said to me, "in my village, every man wore a sword just like that."

I love that anecdote.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Never been anywhere in a pirate costume, 'cept a Halloween party... if my sister ever gets me that tricorn, though, and I find m'self back in the venues of the Oregon Coast, I plan to milk it for all it's worth. (I wonder if I can smuggle my Captain Rottingham costume along for some Newport photographs... might get away with it, at that.)

There were a couple of times, though -- the first one evening near Halloween, when on the way to a party we stopped in a Maverick to pick up a snack; my sister and I entered in full costume - mine a Beetlejuice-inspired nightmare complete with white makeup - and embarrassed our poor, dear dad half to death. He was utterly convinced that EVERYONE was staring at us and thinking of what horrible, freak children he'd raised. (Poor dad; can't seem to understand that nobody will blame him for my lack of social graces.)

The other was when my mother, my siblings and I went to see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- my sister and I brought our towels into the theatre, and Mother never noticed until just before the movie -- or perhaps it was while we were leaving, I'm not sure. She was very understanding about the matter, though; it's a mighty swell mother we've got in those regards.

Great stories here from everyone; I feel rather sympathetic for the poor, confused firefighters. B) Good luck with the hair, Jacky.

Well seeing pirates are hip this season to some extend no one actually looks up when I wear something with skull print.

When I wear my frock coat people either don't care, think it's cool or stare or get rude. The ones that stare and make rude comments are on auto ignore. I have better things to do then let a bunch of idiots get to me :)

When I wear my rainproof frock coat everyone just gawkes and most people find it necessary to start whispering to their friends behind their hand, that just amuses me :)

Frankly with a see through plastic frock coat, I had it coming. BUT I am staying dry when it pours, no matter how hard it pours, even when I'm riding my bike. And it looks damn well better than that fuckly bike rain poncho thing :) (stays in place too, so I'm not half wet when I get home, extra bonus, I prefer looking daft to being soaked and getting ill).